Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ligue 1 Superthread 2017/18

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Former Spurs man Benoit Assou-Ekotto given a straight red. Very harsh. I thought he won the ball.

Very difficult for Metz now.

Goal. Mbapppppeeeeeeeee.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

It begins

Neymaaaaaarrrrrrr.

You knew he would get in on the act.

Update: 4-1 now. Cavani gets another. This is tough on Metz.

Further update: 5-1 as sub Moura bundles it home after a great pass from Neymar.

Full-Time and it ends 5-1 to PSG. Looking at the scoreline it seems like it was a stroll for PSG but that wasn't the case. If Riviere had taken his chance early in the second half as he should have done, Metz would have taken the lead. Instead he missed the opportunity and then Metz had a player harshly sent off. Once they were down to ten men, the outcome was inevitable.

Rabiot did well in midfield and PSG's attacking players showed their quality, although they can still go up several gears from what they were tonight. When you think they still have the likes of Verratti and Dani Alves to call upon you can see why they are such heavy favourites for the title.

Speaking of the title race, Nice vs Monaco is a good game to look out for tomorrow afternoon.

Lille vs Bordeaux ended goalless in the earlier game tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Rotten result for Monaco today losing 4-0 at Nice. A complete 180 of a result given both of their recent form.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Rotten result for Monaco today losing 4-0 at Nice. A complete 180 of a result given both of their recent form.

Yeah Balotelli seems to enjoy playing against them. I remember he was great in the same fixture last season. Two goals for him today, though one was from the spot. That ended 24 games unbeaten in Ligue 1 for Monaco.

All results today:
    Nice 4-0 Monaco
    Caen 2-1 Dijon
    Montpellier 0-1 Nantes
    Strasbourg 0-1 Amiens
    Troyes 0-0 Toulouse

Ranieri is putting together some good results of late with Nantes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Marseille's season appears virtually over already - two down to Rennes, and the way they're defending, could easily see four or five by the end. St Etienne drew with Angers, and Lyon were somewhat lucky to scrape a 2-1 win at home to Guingamp, who were worth a draw on the balance of play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Some goal by Wabhi Khazri

Reminds me of Homer and the helper monkey - Pray for Evra!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

I missed Marseille's game with Rennes. It sounds like it was a good one. It looks like Marseille's defence is going to let them down again this season.

I see Mariano Diaz got another goal for Lyon in their win over Guingamp. I'm liking Lyon's attack with him, Fekir and Depay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭- bo -

Great result away again at the weekend on a desperate pitch in Montpellier. Diego Carlos scored a cracking free kick with 15 left.

Next few fixtures are Caen, Strasbourg, Metz, Bordeaux, Guingamp, Dijon, Toulouse - there's a great chance to get a bit of a run going there if Ranieri can finally settle on his starting 11.

There's been rumours of a falling out with Nakoulma but supposedly he wasn't in the squad as he only returned from international duty the day before, but I hope he can be fitted in to that 11 over the coming weeks.

- bo - wrote: »
    Great result away again at the weekend on a desperate pitch in Montpellier. Diego Carlos scored a cracking free kick with 15 left.

Next few fixtures are Caen, Strasbourg, Metz, Bordeaux, Guingamp, Dijon, Toulouse - there's a great chance to get a bit of a run going there if Ranieri can finally settle on his starting 11.

There's been rumours of a falling out with Nakoulma but supposedly he wasn't in the squad as he only returned from international duty the day before, but I hope he can be fitted in to that 11 over the coming weeks.

I've been impressed with the keeper Tatarusanu. He looks a very good buy.

Yep, he's been the best signing of the window so far. MOTM against Marseille in the 1-0 loss - that's the only goal he's conceded in his 4 games (Dupé played against Lille in the opener). Defence is fine (maybe Pallois aside, he's had a dodgy start), if we could get Nakoulma in to his form from second half of last season and Sala to get a few under his belt, there's no reason not to push for a European spot.

All that said, we'll probably be back in the relegation spots after this weekend :pac:

You win some, you lose some - rather drab game tonight in Toulouse, but most of the televised matches so far this season have been goalfests, so perhaps a quiet one was due!

I'm a fan of Bordeaux's Malcom. I think this guy is going to be a big star in the near future. I can't see him staying at Bordeaux for too long if he keeps up his form.

Monaco bounced back from last week's loss to Nice with a 3-0 win over Strasbourg. Good to see Falcao maintaining his form with 2 goals and an assist.

Saint-Etienne are doing well too and won away at Dijon 1-0. Claudio Ranieri is also hitting his stride now it seems as Nantes record another win.

Things not looking good for Marcelo Bielsa though as Lille concede a stoppage time goal to lose 1-0 to Guingamp. Only 1 win in 6 for Bielsa in the league.

PSG vs Lyon is the big evening game tomorrow. I'm curious to see how PSG manage what is probably their biggest league test so far this season. Mariano Diaz, Fekir and Depay could cause Emery problems but it's a question of how much of the ball will they get, and can they be strong defensively. Rafael was disappointing last week and I would worry Neymar could give his countryman a real nightmare. There should be a few goals on offer you would think.

Deserved win and another clean sheet last night. Girotto's goal was a belter, looks amazing from the camera behind the goal.

Mad that we've scored just 3 goals in 6 games so far and sit in 6th place. Ranieri really playing up the Italian stereotype of being defensively sound and nicking one-nils.

Awful game up until the hour mark when new signing El Ghanassy (who has looked great so far) and Nakoulma were thrown on. They've both got to start the next game away at Strasbourg next weekend.

• Advertisement

Teams are in for PSG vs Lyon:
    PSG XI: Areola; Alves, Silva, Kimpembe, Kurzawa; Motta, Rabiot; Mbappe, Draxler, Neymar; Cavani.

Lyon XI: Lopes, Tete, Marcelo, Morel, Mendy, Tousart, Ndombele, Traore, Fekir, Memphis, Mariano.

Rafael has been benched after his poor game last week.

This should be an entertaining game. Kick-off is at 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

That has all the hallmarks of an end-to-end shootout, so the best we can hope for is 1-0 either way. Such is football. :pac:

How was that not a Lyon pen!

Looked a peno to me too. Good start from the youngster Ndombele.

Update: 0-0 at Half-Time. Lyon will be very pleased with that half. I thought Ndombele did really well in midfield for Lyon. Also surprised at how well Tete has fared against Neymar. Rabiot has probably been PSG's best player. Quiet enough half from most of the PSG forwards.

After an early PSG flurry, Lyon back on top again, and should really have taken the lead, with two great chances one after the other.

Surprised to see Ndombele taken off. I think he's been great. So unlucky his strike hit the crossbar.

And now Cavani scores. Bah.

• Advertisement

Aargh, Cavani scores, just when you thought PSG might actually lose!

Great save by Lopes from Cavani's penalty.

Super save from Lopes. Looked like Neymar asked Cavani for it. I suspect he'll get the next one!

One for the Dubious Goals Commission! Surprised the first has also been given as an OG, definitely looked Cavani's.

Looked like Mbappe scored but it's an O.G. The first goal was an O.G. as well.

Beautiful pass from Neymar.

• Advertisement

Full-Time and PSG win it 2-0. PSG just about deserved it overall but Lyon held their own and had they converted one of their chances when it was 0-0 it could have been a different story.

I thought Bruno Genesio made a mistake taking Tanguy Ndombele off. I thought he was ridiculously good for Lyon and he looks a great buy. I remember watching him play for Amiens away to Saint-Etienne a few weeks back and thinking he was a promising player. He's ridiculously good for a guy of 20 and he was unlucky not to open the scoring with his strike that hit the crossbar.

https://twitter.com/Sansonesque/status/909516723556175873

I thought Mbappe had a very good second half and Neymar was better in the second half too. In the other games tonight all the away sides won:
    Amiens 0-2 Marseille
    Angers 0-1 Metz
    Rennes 0-1 Nice

Balotelli got the winner for Nice. It looks like he is finding a good bit of form again.

Nantes have announced they're moving stadium in time for the 2022 season. 40,000 seater, so there's only an increase in capacity of 2,000-odd. It's being built in the same location, on the car park area of the current ground.

Not sure how I feel about it, I'm generally not a fan of the usual modern bowls that seems to be popping up everywhere and have always loved my visits to La Beaujoire. On the other hand, bringing the current ground up to modern standards was going to cost €120m+, whereas the new ground is costing €200m. It will be able to host the major events and the aim is to have it in place to host some of the Olympics 2024 matches.

Means I have to get a lot more trips in over the next 4 or 5 years now too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

Wonder what, if any impact, the supposed fallout between Neymar and Cavani will have on PSG?

It's probably blown all out of proportion in the media

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

It will be very interesting to see which one of them takes the next penalty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

It will be very interesting to see which one of them takes the next penalty.

Mpabbe :pac:

Teams for tonight's game between Lille and Monaco (kick off 7:45):
    Lille XI: Maignan; Edgar Ie, Alonso, Ballo-Toure; Thiago Maia, Amadou, Bissouma, Benzia; El Ghazi, Pepe, Luiz Araujo

Monaco XI: Benaglio; Toure, Glik, Jemerson, Jorge; Rony Lopes, Fabinho, Moutinho, Ghezzal; Falcao, Jovetic

Bielsa Needs a decent performance against Monaco after a poor start.

Nice are losing 2-1 to Angers in the early kick-off. Not watching that one but there's about 15 minutes left.

Update: It ended Nice 2-2 Angers. Nice will be disappointed considering their last home game was a 4-0 win over Monaco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Lille shoot themselves in the foot. Jovetic pounces and finishes clinically.

1-0 Monaco. Jovetic gets his first goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

2-0. Looking all too easy for Monaco. Another Lille mistake in the build up and unmarked player at the back taps it in.

2-0 as Ghezzal scores. Glik did well in the build up there.

Update: Monaco go into the break 2-0 in front. I've been disappointed with Lille. I expected more from them. Araujo had their best chance just before half-time but overall Monaco have been comfortable.

• Advertisement

Falcaooooooooo!

Update: 4-0 now. Falcao gets his second from the penalty spot.

Full-Time: Monaco cruise to victory in the end. The margin could have been greater as Monaco spurned good chances. Fabinho should have scored.

Pressure is mounting on Bielsa now. I wonder will he be at the club by the end of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

Falcao now has 11 in 7 games. Some start to the season for him considering all the departures in the summer from the team

Eir are showing Montpellier vs PSG which kicks off at 4. Team news:
    Montpellier XI: Lecomte; Aguilar, Congre, Hilton, Mendes, Roussillon; Lasne, Sambia, Skhiri, Sessegnon; Ninga.

PSG XI: Areola; Meunier, Silva, Marquinhos, Yuri; Verratti, Motta, Rabiot; Mbappe, Cavani, Draxler.

Neymar out with a minor injury they say.

Half-Time update: 0-0 at the break. Poor stuff from PSG. The pitch is really bad which isn't helping them.

Ten minutes to go and it's still goalless. PSG were denied a penalty for a Lasne tackle on Cavani and it looked on the replay like it should have been given.

Full-Time and it ends Montpellier 0-0 PSG. First points dropped by Emery's team this season.

PSG will feel aggrieved they didn't get a penalty for the foul on Cavani. It looked like one to me. It was a poor game overall and Lecomte didn't have to do much. Neymar's absence was noticeable although Mbappe played better in the second half.

The result leaves PSG just a point ahead of Monaco now.

All Saturday results:
    Montpellier 0-0 PSG
    Bordeaux 3-1 Guingamp
    Caen 1-0 Amiens
    Lyon 3-3 Dijon
    Metz 0-1 Troyes

Very impressive result for Dijon.

Bordeaux are up to third with their win. I wonder could they be this season's version of Nice.

Sunday results:
    Saint-Etienne 2-2 Rennes
    Strasbourg 1-2 Nantes
    Marseille 2-0 Toulouse

I didn't get to see any of the games but I heard Marseille were pretty comfortable.

Nantes continue their good form with another win. Up to sixth place now.

Christ, it was a real backs to the wall job that. Don't know how we managed to escape with 3 points but we did. Bottom club Metz up next at home.

Highlights are here, you have got to see Leo Dubois' winner (@1.38) - chap has never scored a goal in his career and does this! Also Alcibiade's goal-line clearance (@3.05) in the final minute of stoppage time I think is the best I've ever seen :eek:

Those were two amazing moments. I can't think of a better goal-line clearance either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭josip

Report in the Guardian about it today.
    Looks like the wheels on the PSG wagon are wobbly.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/sep/27/psg-edinson-cavani-neymar-spat-lyon-bayern-munich

Advertisement