Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ligue 1 Superthread 2017/18

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Monaco vs Montpellier is on tonight at 7.45. Team news:
    Monaco XI: Subasic; Toure, Glik, Jemerson, Sidibe; Rony Lopes, Tielemans, Fabinho, Lemar; Jovetic, Falcao.

Montpellier XI: Lecomte; Aguilar, Congre, Hilton, Mendes, Roussillon; Sessegnon, Lasne, Skhiri, Mbenza; Ninga.

You'd think Monaco should win but they're coming off a disappointing loss in the Champions League to Porto, while Montpellier managed a 0-0 draw against PSG last week; so this might not be so straightforward.

Falcao scores to make it 1-0. Harsh on Montpellier who have played very well.

Oh man. Substitute Souleymane Camara grabs a stoppage time equaliser for Montpellier. Big blow for Monaco.

Full-Time and the game ends 1-1. Monaco could have went temporarily two points clear at the top but conceding the late goal means they stay second. I think Montpellier were deserving of something from the game. They played very well and had chances to score further. That's two great performances from them now against PSG and Monaco back-to-back.

PSG can go 3 points clear if they beat Bordeaux at home tomorrow afternoon. I believe that game will be live on Eir. That could be a cracking match as Bordeaux have been in great form of late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭- bo -

I was watching the Cork-Limerick match so didn't see it, I did see the equaliser though and it was such a basic goal that you wouldn't expect that Monaco team to concede. I'll take your word for it that it was deserved though... I'm not complaining, sure they're contending for Champions League qualification with us :D

Nah I kid.. obviously 3 points is a must against Metz tonight, and I'd take a scrappy 1-0, but I'd like to see us with the shackles off and go try knock a few past them later.

• Advertisement

PSG vs Bordeaux teams:
    PSG XI: Areola; Meunier, Marquinhos, Kimpembe, Berchiche; Verratti, Rabiot; Mbappe, Draxler, Neymar; Cavani.

Bordeaux XI: Costil; Sabaly, Toulalan, Jovanovic, Pellenard; Otavio, Larager; Sankhare, Malcom, Kamano; De Preville.

Hard to see past PSG following the Bayern performance and with Neymar back but I wonder can Bordeaux cause any problems, particularly through Malcom and Kamano.

What a f*cking glorious free-kick from Neymar. 1-0.

https://twitter.com/rolarias/status/914147148584939520

2-0 now. Cavani after all three attackers link up.

3-0 now. Meunier finds the top corner. This is astonishing ruthlessness from PSG.

I was gonna switch over to it after the Celtic-Hibs match, just checked the score and I don't know if I could be arsed anymore :pac:

Well it's 3-1 now. Sankhare scores for Bordeaux after a nice move. The comeback is on! :pac:

• Advertisement

It's a PSG penalty! Who takes it? :D

Well interestingly it was Neymar and he scores it.

OH MY GOD.

Draxler just scored a f*cking sensational goal.

5-1 to to PSG at Half-Time. A thoroughly entertaining mauling by PSG.

I thought Malcom did well for Bordeuax but I'm not sure any defence could live with this attack from PSG on today's form. They have been great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

OH MY GOD.

Draxler just scored a f*cking sensational goal.
    VanPersie-esque.

Mbappe makes it 6-1. Lovely play from Draxler in the build up.

Malcom scores from the penalty spot to make it 6-2. He's been Bordeaux's best player.

Full-Time and it ends 6-2 to PSG. Great performance again from PSG, particularly that first half. Very strong performances from Neymar, Mbappe and Draxler. Rabiot did well too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Sickened I missed this, sounded like a great performance from Paris. Just out of interest, how did Neymar and Cavani get on during on the game? Did they celebrate each other's goals or is the tension still there? I only ask because this team could do amazing things if they stick together.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Sickened I missed this, sounded like a great performance from Paris. Just out of interest, how did Neymar and Cavani get on during on the game? Did they celebrate each other's goals or is the tension still there? I only ask because this team could do amazing things if they stick together.

They seemed to be on good terms. There was a hug between the pair after Neymar set up an assist for Cavani. Also noticeable that Cavani gave Neymar a hug after he put away the penalty. In public at least everything seems fine. Whether that's the case behind the scenes, who knows. As long as they keep winning then there shouldn't be too many issues.

I did find it interesting Emery substituted Cavani after about an hour. He was obviously resting him since the result was secured but Cavani looked disappointed to be taken off. I think Cavani knew there were more goals out there for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41456324

Hopefully the injuries aren't too serious.

That's terrible. The match was abandoned which is understandable. Here is footage of the incident. Hopefully everyone escaped without serious harm.

https://twitter.com/101greatgoals/status/914213078493011969

• Advertisement

Some surprising results today. Troyes beating Saint-Etienne 2-1 and Lyon blowing a 3-1 lead away to Angers to draw 3-3.

Anyone see the sending off of Marcelo in that game? I'd really love someone to dub the Curb Your Enthusiasm theme over it...

https://twitter.com/mohammedali_93/status/914528365033414656

Nice vs Marseille is the evening game tonight which should be a good one. A win for Marseille will take them up to third, while a win for Nice will see them go above Marseille. Here are the teams:
    Nice XI: Cardinale; Souquet, Dante, Le Marchand, Sarr; Lees-Melou, Seri, Mendy, Saint-Maximin; Plea, Balotelli.

Marseille XI: Mandanda; Sakai, Rolando, Rami, Amavi; Luiz Gustavo, Anguissa; Ocampos, Payet, Thauvin; Njie.

Balotelli and Plea have been in good form and Saint-Maximin is starting to settle in. I think they can hurt Marseille in attack. Payet and Thauvin are well capable of hurting Nice though as well. Hopefully there are a few goals on offer. I'll predict a 2-2 draw.

Balotelli scores. What a good header.

Update: 2-0 to Nice. A deflected strike from Seri.

Update II: Now it's 2-1. Ocampos gets one back for Marseille. Very enjoyable game this.

2-2! Own goal from Lees-Melou. Unbelievable. Nice should have been 3-1 up as Saint-Maximin spurned a very good chance a few moments beforehand.

Mad game.

3-2 to Marseille! Lucas Ocampos scores another. This is mental. 2-0 down, been second best for most of the half, and now they lead 3-2!

Half-Time and Marseille go in 3-2 in front. Amazing half of football. I hope there's more goals on the way.

4-2 to Marseille now! Gustavo with the goal. Nice have started the half poorly.

Luiz Gustavo given a straight red! He's had some dodgy tackles tonight but that one looked a bit harsh to be a red.

Big lifeline for Nice with 25 odd minutes left.

This game though...

Update: Now a penalty to Nice! Saint-Maximin tripped. Have to score this.

It's missed! Plea takes it and Mandanda saves it. I'm surprised Balotelli didn't take it.

Full-Time and it ends 4-2 to Marseille. That was a brilliant game of football from an entertainment standpoint as opposed to a quality football standpoint. It will go down as one of the games of the season I'm sure. There was a red card, a penalty miss, end-to-end action, this game had it all.

Mandanda played well in goal for Marseille and his penalty save was massive; his Nice counterpart Cardinale had a bad game. I thought Saint-Maximin was Nice's best player. Ocampos probably the standout for Marseille.

This has really been a very entertaining round of football in Ligue 1.

Ligue 1 returns tonight with probably the game of the weekend: Lyon vs Monaco. Kick-off is 7.45 and it's live on BT Sport 3. Teams are in:
    Lyon XI: Lopes; Tete, Diakhaby, Yanga-Mbiwa, Mendy; Tousart, Ndombele; B. Traore, Fekir, Aouar; Mariano Diaz.

Monaco XI: Subasic; Toure, Glik, Jemerson, Kongolo; Moutinho, Meite, Traore; Lopes, Balde, Lemar.

No Falcao for Monaco who has been on World Cup duty a few days ago with Colombia. Fabinho and Jovetic not involved either.

This might be a good time for Lyon to get a result. I'm excited to see how Ndombele does in midfield. He was very good against PSG a few weeks ago. Fekir is in great form too.

Tough one to call. A home win wouldn't shock me. Hopefully it's a good game.

1-0 to Lyon. Mariano Diaz with the goal. It's been coming. They have hit the post twice so far. It's been a very exciting start to this game.

Update: This is an action-packed half. Tough to keep up with it all. Rony Lopes made it 1-1 but then Fekir restored Lyon's lead, only for Traore to equalise once more. Still 5 minutes remaining in the half. Hope the goals keep coming.

Half-Time: The teams go in level. Both sides are looking to attack which is making this a very exciting contest. The Traore goal was the pick of the lot:

https://twitter.com/Invertd_Whinger/status/918922129944477696

• Advertisement

That was a cracker from Traore indeed. Speaking of Traores, how's Bertrand doing at Lyon in this match and in general? Thought he looked like a star in the making at Chelsea and Ajax but haven't been following him too closely since he left.

Just been subbed off now I see.

martyos121 wrote: »
    That was a cracker from Traore indeed. Speaking of Traores, how's Bertrand doing at Lyon in this match and in general? Thought he looked like a star in the making at Chelsea and Ajax but haven't been following him too closely since he left.

Just been subbed off now I see.

He has flashes of quality but overall his decision making tends to be poor. He's still young so maybe he will improve with more game time.

Monaco very close to making it 3-2 there.

Fekir wins it at the death with a free-kick! Wow!

Fekir wins it with the last kick of the game! Stunning free kick!

Fekir wins it at the death with a free-kick! Wow!

I was there thinking "why the hell wont he let Memphis have this? He's deadly at frees"

Lol. :D

That was a fantastic match. Big props to the captain Fekir. He won the free and then scored from it. He played well tonight. Mariano Diaz had a very good game too. I think Lyon just about deserved the win.

That's a big blow to Monaco's title hopes. A win for PSG tomorrow will take them 6 points clear at the top.

• Advertisement

Dijon vs PSG is kicking off at 4 and you can watch it on Eir Sport. Teams are in:
    Dijon XI: Reynet - Rosier, Djilobodji, Varrault, Haddadi - Chang-Hoon Kwon, Marie, Amalfitano, Xeka, Sliti - Jeannot.

PSG XI: Areola - Berchiche, Kimpembe, Marquinhos, Meunier - Draxler, Rabiot, Alves - Neymar, Mbappe, Di Maria.

I thought Neymar might be rested for this one. Good to see him involved.

I'd be amazed if Dijon can get anything. I don't think they have kept a single clean sheet all season and Monaco stuck four past them earlier in the season. There should be plenty of goals.

HT Update: Dijon go in at the break with the game 0-0. They deserve too as well. They have been very good. Kwon, Xeka and Sliti have caused PSG problems going forward and Djilobodji has been good in defence.

PSG have been lacklustre. Mbappe the only forward playing with real urgency. Dani Alves is operating as a right central midfielder and it's not working; Alves did however come very close with a great free-kick. Neymar has been poor and this is the most ineffective I've seen him since he came to PSG. He's been kept quiet by Dijon and picked up a booking for a trip out of frustration.

Ah damn. Meunier the unlikely man to find the net and break down Dijon's resistance. Mbappe had missed several chances. Reynet had made several good saves. Twenty minutes remaining.

OH MY GOD ONE OF THE GOALS OF THE SEASON FROM JEANNOT!

FIND THIS GOAL NOW.

Edit: Found it:

https://twitter.com/mkayaerdem/status/919242850604388352

Meunier has won it. Nooooooooooooo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Ah damn. Meunier the unlikely man to find the net and break down Dijon's resistance. Mbappe had missed several chances. Reynet had made several good saves. Twenty minutes remaining.
    OH MY GOD ONE OF THE GOALS OF THE SEASON FROM JEANNOT!

FIND THIS GOAL NOW.

Edit: Found it:

https://twitter.com/mkayaerdem/status/919242850604388352
    Meunier has won it. Nooooooooooooo.

Your emotions are sometimes better than watching the matches :D

• Advertisement

A thrilling finish to the game. It looked like Jeannot's unbelievable strike had won a point for Dijon but Meunier grabbed a scruffy late goal for PSG to win it in the final seconds.

That's two Ligue 1 games in a row with goals in the final seconds. Brilliant entertainment but I feel for Dijon who were much better than I expected.

PSG weren't great and missed Verratti, Motta and Cavani.

All of Saturday's results in full:
    Dijon 1-2 PSG
    Caen 0-2 Angers
    Guingamp 2-0 Rennes
    Lille 2-2 Troyes
    Saint-Etienne 3-1 Metz
    Toulouse 1-0 Amiens

Another disappointing result for Bielsa as Troyes score a penalty in stoppage time to get a draw.

It looked like bottom side Metz were going to pull off a big upset. They were leading 1-0 at half-time and the keeper saved a penalty in the second half but three goals conceded in the last 15 minutes, one of them an O.G., keeps them in last place. Saint-Etienne are now up to third.

Bordeaux vs Nantes is an interesting game tomorrow afternoon. A win for either side would move them to third. Marseille can also go third later on if they win away at Strasbourg in the evening game. Montpellier vs Nice is the other match.

Sunday's results:
    Bordeaux 1-1 Nantes
    Montpellier 2-0 Nice
    Strasbourg 3-3 Marseille

Malcom got another goal for Bordeaux. He's been one of the stars of the season. Another disappointing result for Nice.

I caught some of Strasbourg vs Marseille which was an entertaining game. Strasbourg were winning going into the final few minutes but the keeper Kamara made a mess of dealing with Amavi's shot and Mitroglou got the equaliser.

It was another entertaining round of matches. The pick of next week's games looks like the Sunday evening one with Marseille hosting PSG.

I thought a draw was a fair result with Bordeaux-Nantes. First half was dire but then a really entertaining 2nd where either side could have nicked it. We'd have been happy with a point beforehand.

Guingamp (h), Dijon (a) and Toulouse (h) are the next three. Should be expecting a 6/7 point return from that before the bi-annual battering by PSG.

I'm over in Nantes in a few weeks so might actually make it to that Toulouse match. Been almost 2 years since I last got a game in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Jose talking up PSG today calling it a special project and that his son has taken a special interest in the club is he putting feelers out I wonder.

Jose talking up PSG today calling it a special project and that his son has taken a special interest in the club is he putting feelers out I wonder.

Yeah I thought his comments about his son were interesting. He might be planting a few seeds for down the line.

4rt1t4.png

Should be another good night among this lot :D

It's the team in 3rd versus the team in 11th tonight as Saint-Etienne play Montpellier. Game is on BT Sport 3. Line-ups are in:
    Saint-Etienne XI: Ruffier; Janko, Theophile, Lacroix, Gabriel Silva; Pajot, Maiga; Monnet-Paquet, Cabella, Hamouma; Diony.

Montpellier XI: Lecomte; Aguilar, Congre, Hilton, Pedro Mendes, Mukiele; Lasne, Skhiri, Sessegnon; Sio, Mbenza.

I don't expect a lot of goals in this game. Both teams have strong defensive records and have two of the most in-form keepers in the league.

Saint-Etienne would be favourites being home but Montpellier's last three results were a win over Nice, a draw with Monaco, and a draw with PSG, so they will be no pushovers.

I will go for a 1-0 home win.

So much for my prediction as Mbenza scores for Montpellier.

Update: Montpellier deservedly leading at half-time. Saint-Etienne have offered very little and Diony has gone off injured which is a blow. Skhiri has been impressive for Montpellier in midfield.

Full-Time and Montpellier hold out to win 1-0. It was a scrappy game short of quality. Saint-Etienne did finish the game strongly and had some goals ruled out for offside, but overall they weren't good enough and they have dropped a place to fourth behind Marseille who play PSG on Sunday.

Montpellier meanwhile are up to 8th and if they can continue this form they will be in with a decent chance of a European place.

• Advertisement
Advertisement