Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ligue 1 Superthread 2017/18

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Saturday results:
    Nantes 0-1 Bordeaux
    Amiens 3-1 Guingamp
    Montpellier 2-1 Toulouse
    Rennes 1-0 Angers
    Strasbourg 3-2 Dijon
    Troyes 1-0 Lille

Disappointing result for Nantes and it gives Nice a chance to take fifth place tomorrow. Bordeaux's first win in the post-Gourvennec era moves them up to 12th place. Toulouse's defeat leaves them in the drop zone and the same is true for Lille.

Big news coming out of today is that Bordeaux have appointed Gus Poyet to be their new manager.

https://twitter.com/girondins/status/954778432998727680

Sunday's matches look interesting, particularly the evening game which I've been looking forward to all week: Nice vs Saint Etienne, Monaco vs Metz and Lyon vs PSG.

Nice beat Saint-Etienne 1-0 thanks to a lovely free-kick from Cyprien.

https://twitter.com/goal/status/955090271145943041

Good to see him showing what he can do after his horrible injury last season. Saint-Etienne had some good moments in that game. Monaco beat Metz 3-1 later in the other game. Metz were reduced to ten men when the keeper Kawashima was sent off which helped Monaco take control. Best goal was this sweet effort from Rachid Ghezzal.

https://twitter.com/goal/status/955152827143172097

Evening game between Lyon and PSG kicks off at 8. Teams:
    Lyon XI: Lopes; Rafael, Marcelo, Morel, Mendy; Tousart, Ndombele; Cornet, Fekir, Aouar; Mariano Diaz.

PSG XI: Areola; Dani Alves, Marquinhos, Thiago Silva, Kurzawa; Verratti, Lo Celso, Rabiot; Di Maria, Cavani, Mbappe.

Neymar misses out with a reported thigh problem which is a real shame after his performance against Dijon. Quite a respectful line-up chosen by Emery playing all three of Verratti, Lo Celso and Rabiot. Normally one of them drops out. Looking forward to seeing how Ndombele gets on as he did very well against them earlier in the season.

I think this can be a big test for PSG but I don't have enough faith in their central defence to keep out PSG. I will go for a 2-1 away win.

1-0 Lyon! Magnificent free-kick from Fekir. I think PSG needed a better wall and Areola could have maybe done better but it was such a precise finish.

https://twitter.com/InsideGones/status/955169780478115842

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Jesus Christ!!
    That volley :eek:

Oh sh*t what a finish from Kurzawa to make it 1-1. Belter of a volley.

Half-Time and the teams are level at the break. I've been impressed with Lyon's performance. I thought Lopes was going to go in with a clean sheet after his great reflex stop to deny Morel from scoring an O.G.. He also cleaned out Mbappe who has gone off but nothing he could do about that strike from Kurzawa. I'd love to know the speed of that volley.

Dani Alves sent off for dissent. Great opportunity for Lyon now to take 3 points. Verratti fortunate he didn't get into trouble as he appeared to knock the card out of the ref's hand.

https://twitter.com/LCPSG/status/955188847742214152

Ndombele is such a quality player. He's risen to the challenge of facing PSG once again. I can see Europe's big clubs fighting for his signature before too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Depay wins it from the bench for Lyon with a cracker! :eek:

• Advertisement

OH MY GOD DEPAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Dramatic ending. Brilliant strike by Depay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Un but magnifique pour Depay. :)

All over. Fantastic result for Lyon. All three goals were terrific. Brilliant game. Ndombele was great in midfield. Great to see this talented young Lyon side stand up to PSG and win.

3 really good goals. Lyon had to win that with Neymar, Mbappe both absent the latter by in game injury & PSG down to 10 men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭- bo -

Simply cannot wrap my head around how we've managed to lose that cup match...

• Advertisement

Pity the game isn't on TV although I managed to see a clip of his goal and celebration. He launched his jersey into the crowd and I'd say that must be worth a good few bob for whatever person got hold of it.

Don't win a game by more than a single goal all season then go knock 3 without reply :D Ngom's had his first goal coming this ages, great to see him finally get it and hopefully the first of many. Nice lost too. 3 point gap and a decent goal difference restored. Happy weekend...

All weekend results thus far:
    Friday

Dijon 2-1 Rennes

Today

PSG 4-0 Montpellier
    Angers 1-0 Amiens
    Guingamp 0-3 Nantes
    Metz 2-1 Nice
    Saint-Etienne 2-1 Caen
    Toulouse 1-0 Troyes

Very interesting results affecting the foot of the table. Metz continue their impressive form of late with a big result over Nice; Balotelli got himself Nice's goal. Anger's win over Amiens means both sides are on 25 points. Saint-Etienne's win over Caen means they're just a point behind their opponents. Likewise Toulouse's win over Troyes in the post-Dupraz era leaves them just one point behind.

I was just checking the table tonight and there's less than ten points separating Montpellier in 7th from Lille in 19th. The relegation battle could be a real nail-biter.

Some exciting games on Sunday: Lille vs Strasbourg which again has implications for the bottom half; Gus Poyet's first game in charge of Bordeaux against a Lyon side looking to cut PSG's lead back to 8 points; and a very tasty evening game of Marseille vs Monaco to see which side goes third (or possibly second depending on how Lyon do).

Half-Time between Bordeaux and Lyon and surprisingly the home side lead 3-1 in an entertaining game. Two of Bordeaux's goals were penos and the first one was via an embarrassing dive by Malcom - he then scored the peno.

https://twitter.com/OL_Plus/status/957653355253420032

Looked like Lyon were going to go in at the break only a goal behind via a Marcelo header from a corner but at the other end Anthony Lopes, who I'm normally a fan of, stupidly dived for the ball and got the player instead, and that one was a definite pen. Big ask for Lyon to turn this around now. Could be a great result for Poyet's first game in charge.

I saw the earlier game too where Lille beat Strasbourg 2-1. It was a pretty dull game for the most part but got very good in the last fifteen which is where all the goals came along.

• Advertisement

Otavio's been sent off for Bordeaux. Fifteen minutes remaining. Might be a lifeline for Lyon.

Update: All over and Bordeaux win 3-1. Turns out the red card wasn't a lifeline after all. Deserved win for Bordeaux and a great start for Gus Poyet. I thought Jules Kounde was terrific at the back for the home side. This guy's 19 and only made his pro debut earlier this month in a League Cup game; he gave Mariano nothing tonight. I was very surprised. Another who impressed was Soualiho Meite, a loan signing from Monaco, who shone in midfield. I was expecting Aouar and Ndombele to dominate but it was Meite that looked the best. Either of these guys can have a case for MOTM. Gaetan Laborde also put in a strong shift up top. Not a lot of positives for Lyon. Ndombele did okay near the end of the second half. Mendy was alright. Overall you'd have to say Bordeaux were worthy winners.

The evening game tonight between Marseille and Monaco will now determine which side ends the night in second place. Kick off is at 8. Team news:
    Marseille XI: Mandanda; Bouna Sarr, Rami, Rolando, Sakai; Sanson, Luiz Gustavo; Thauvin, Dimitri Payet, Lucas Ocampos; Germain.

Monaco XI: Subasic; Almamy Toure, Glik, Jemerson, Sidibe; Joao Moutinho, Fabinho; Ghezzal, Tielemans, Keita Balde; Falcao

Tielemans returns for Monaco. Big night for him. Germain will be eager to impress against his old side too. Have a feeling this one will be a draw.

Interesting that no Lemar in the squad. Wonder what that means...

1-0 Monaco! Lovely finish from Keita Balde.

And minutes later it's 1-1! Rami heads in from close range. Two goals inside seven minutes. Great start to this game.

Update: 1-1 at the break. Enjoyable game, especially the opening and closing stages. Really enjoying the contest between Thauvin and Sidibe (who is operating at LB today). Thauvin bamboozled him with a wonderful piece of skill at one point:

https://twitter.com/FADA2LOM/status/957713048894103552

He was also able to find a lovely ball for Payet after that but he blazed it over. Payet has been a big disappointment. Sarr has done alright at right-back and has had a good contest himself with Keita Balde. Fabinho has done well at times for Monaco but no real standout performer for them. Tielemans has been quiet. Falcao hasn't had much service. Could go either way this one.

2-1 Marseille! Germain against his old club. No celebration. Payet with the good cross. First bit of quality from him this evening.

GOAL! Fabinho makes it 2-2 within minutes after a nice solo run.

Full-Time: The game ends all square which I think is a fair result. Monaco seemed to have an offside goal ruled out incorrectly. Jemerson headed in but was flagged, yet replays seemed to show he was onside. Marseille had some chances to score too with Sanson and Germain going close. Thauvin was Marseille's best player. I really think he merits going to the World Cup on current form. Sarr, Germain and Sanson also played well. For Monaco, I'd say Fabinho was the best player. I was really disappointed with Tielemans. He hasn't lived up to the pre-season hype so far.

The matches between the top sides have delivered plenty of entertainment and there's another one next Sunday as Monaco host Lyon. As for the table, PSG are top on 59 pts with Lyon leading Marseille via goal difference with both on 48; Monaco are on 47. Big winners this weekend were PSG. They notched up another win, saw Lyon lose to Bordeaux, and their other two rivals play out a draw. Particularly disappointing for Lyon as it undid the fine work from their win over PSG last week. Unlike Monaco last season, there isn't a rival to PSG consistent enough to get results when not playing at their best.

For all the stick the league seems to get at times, there have been some hugely entertaining games of late.

The last 3 Sunday night games (Nantes-PSG/Lyon-PSG/Marseille-Monaco) have been crackers. Bordeaux-Lyon yesterday was very entertaining, as was the Guingamp-Nantes one I watched on Saturday. Lille-Strasbourg was meant to have been poor enough yesterday, I only tuned in when it got good with 15-20 minutes left.

I just hope we can get a bit of form back - Caen away and Lille at home are very winnable games before a very tough trip to Marseille...

Looks like Lyon have secured the services of Nantes' Leo Dubois. I think that's a good signing if true. I'm impressed with this young talented group Lyon are assembling.

Rennes vs PSG is tonight in the Coupe de Ligue semi-final from 8 on BT Sport. Teams:
    Rennes XI: Diallo - Baal, Gnagnon, Gelin, Traore - Prcic, Andre - Bourigeaud, Gourcuff, Sarr - Khazri.

PSG XI: Trapp - Meunier, Marquinhos, Kimpembe, Yuri - Verratti, Rabiot, Pastore - Di Maria, Mbappe, Neymar.

I'd be very surprised if PSG don't win this well. Looking forward to seeing how Bourigeaud gets on for Rennes.

Update: 1-0 PSG. Meunier with a lovely finish. Rennes had been doing well prior to the goal too.

Goal: 1-1 now. Khazri equalises for Rennes after a counter.

Update: Hint of a handball and now VAR is going to be used to assess it. And the verdict is no goal. Remains 1-0 to PSG. Harsh on Rennes but a fair call. Half-Time and PSG lead at the break. Rennes players and fans not happy over the disallowed goal.

Goal: 2-0 to PSG. Captain Marquinhos with a tap in. Neymar involved in the build up. 35 minutes remaining.

Goal: 3-0. Lo Celso. Dreadful keeping from Diallo. PSG heading for the final.

Update: Mbappe sent off with a straight red for a rash challenge after the ref consults VAR. Have to say the ref really milked the moment and waited minutes to inform Mbappe he was off. I do think some of these refs get a big ego stroke from using the technology, 25 minutes plus stoppage time remaining. I don't see the dismissal having an effect on the outcome.

Goal: 3-1. Sakho heads in a consolation for Rennes on his debut. They deserve a goal.

Goal! 3-2. Rennes pull another one back with a few minutes left. Prcic with a low long range strike,

Well the game ends 3-2 to PSG. It was a bad-tempered match but very entertaining. A lot of late challenges going in and some poor play-acting too. The Rennes players weren't happy with some of Neymar's showboating antics.

https://twitter.com/PSGsociety/status/958458990870040576

There was a lot of silly stuff going on, for example Neymar feigning to help an opponent to his feet:

https://twitter.com/__Nassima/status/958460141548064769

PSG just about deserved the win. Rennes will feel the disallowed goal from Khazri was harsh on them. I was disappointed with the performance of Bourigeaud. He's a player with potential but his decision making was poor tonight.

Monaco vs Montpellier takes place tomorrow night to see which side faces PSG in the final.

I see Tony Chapron, the ref who kicked out at Nantes's Diego Carlos, has been suspended for 3 months. I expected he would be out for the rest of the season which is what that pretty much amounts to.

Marseille vs Metz is about to kick off at 7.45 on BT Sport 3. Teams:
    Marseille XI: Mandanda; Sarr, Rami, Rolando, Sakai; Anguissa, Luiz Gustavo; Thauvin, Sanson, Payet; Germain.

Metz XI: Kawashima; Rivierez, Diagne, Niakhate, Palmieri; Cohade, Mandjeck; Mollet, Milicevic, Roux; Riviere.

Interesting game, this. A win for Marseille takes them temporarily second but Metz have been in great form having previously looked certs for relegation. Thauvin is one of the best players in the league at the moment and Gustavo and Sanson were very good in the last game too. Nolan Roux has been in inspired form for Metz.

I reckon a home win by two goals.

1-0 Marseille. Sanson stumbles but still puts it away. Kawashima didn't do great there.

Goal! 2-0 as Thauvin starts a move and finishes it off. Nice combination move with Sanson. Deschamp's got to have Thauvin on the plane to Russia if he keeps this up. Two goals in ten minutes.

Update: 3-0 just before half-time. Hammer blow for Metz who had been doing well since the second goal. Looked like Germain's goal initially as he broke away, Kawashima came out, and Germain hit it towards goal but it now looks like Thauvin who followed up on it may have gotten the final touch.

Half-Time and Marseille lead 3-0. The third goal has likely sealed it but Metz had some decent chances before that. Roux has been a threat and gone close with two shots. Mandanda has had to make a few saves. Thauvin is causing Metz all sorts of problems.

Update: 4-0 Marseille. Germain gets his goal this time. Thauvin with the assist - his numbers for goals and assists are ridiculous at this point.

5-0 Marseille. Thauvin hat-trick. Chap is having an outstanding season.

Update: Mandanda has kept a few shots out but his clean sheet is gone as Mollet fires in a consolation. 5-1.

Goal! 6-1. Mitroglou gets a tap in after Payet unselfishly sets him up when Kawashima comes out.

Goal for Metz. Mollet gets his second of the game with a nice strike. 6-2. A hit to Marseille's goal difference as they look to stay clear of Lyon.

6-3! Ha, it's a tennis score! Niane heads in another consolation.

Full-Time and it ends Marseille 6-3 Metz. Yes, you read that right. Another cracking night of entertainment in Ligue 1. Those two late consolations for Metz were good news for Lyon because they mean Marseille end the night with a goal difference of 26 compared to Lyon's 27.

A lot of players performed well for Marseille. Thauvin was excellent, scoring a hat-trick inside 60 minutes and providing an assist. Payet played well too. Germain worked really hard and played like he did for Monaco last season. Sanson had a good game also. For Metz, Mollet was the standout player.

Here's hoping for more good action this weekend. Sunday's evening game of Monaco vs Lyon could be a real cracker.

• Advertisement

Lille have been warned they face demotion to Ligue 2 if they don't sort out their financial troubles between now and end of season. It'd be a shame for a club playing regular European football until quite recently but their club is in tatters at the moment. I have a soft spot for Lille and have a mate that follows them over there.. I think the soft spot is partly to do with being behind the goal that Robbie Brady nodded into against the Italians in the summer of '16.

Anyways, the main game I'm keeping an eye on this evening is Nice-Toulouse and hoping the latter can pick up a point or more. Set us up nicely then to hopefully widen the gap with a win away in Caen tomorrow evening.

Saturday's results:
    Lille 0-3 PSG
    Amiens 0-2 Saint-Etienne
    Montpellier 2-1 Angers
    Nice 0-1 Toulouse
    Strasbourg 0-2 Bordeaux

Four of the five games being won by the away side is unusual. Good win for Saint-Etienne and Debuchy scored on his debut. With Debuchy, Subotic, Perrin making up 3/4 of the defence and Ruffier being one of the best keepers in France imo, I think they have the potential to finish the season well. They're up to 11th now.

Poor result for Nice but a very handy one for Toulouse and now Nantes have that chance to capitalise against Caen. Montpellier go up to sixth place. Poyet meanwhile continues his good start with Bordeaux.

No surprise PSG getting the win. Lo Celso scored a lovely chip in that game:

https://twitter.com/2HinchasYMedio/status/959847884157063168

He's been impressive the last few months. He seems to be very confident in himself right now. Wonder will he have a part to play in the Champions League...

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

Really enjoy your posts here Mr. Nice Guy. Very informative. Keep up the good work sir. Thank you.

In the early game Guingamp beat Rennes 1-0 away via a stoppage time winner that takes them above Rennes into ninth. There was an awful challenge by Guingamp's Jimmy Briand on Rennes defender Hamari Traore in that game. Don't know how the player didn't break his leg. Apparently he's okay. Only a yellow card issued.

https://twitter.com/ArthurSenange/status/960177500138754048

In the afternoon match Caen beat Nantes 3-2 with centre-back Damien Da Silva getting two goals, including the winner. I had half an eye on this game while watching the Liverpool/Spurs game. Nantes suffered a blow with Yacine Bammou, who scored both their goals, having to go off on the hour mark after he hurt himself doing the splits while reaching for the ball. Caen go 11th while Nantes stay fifth.

Teams are in for Monaco vs Lyon which kicks off at 8 on BT Sport:
    Monaco XI: Subasic; Toure, Glik, Jemerson, Raggi; Fabinho, Moutinho; Lopes, Tielemans, Keita; Falcao.

Lyon XI: Lopes; Tete, Marcelo, Morel, Mendy; Ndombele, Aouar; Traore, Fekir, Depay; Mariano.

Interestingly Monaco have the 16 year old Pietro Pellegri on the bench who they bought for €25m from Genoa. Another chance for Tielemans to impress for Monaco after a pretty disappointing season so far. I'd worry about Raggi being a weak link for them.

I like the look of Lyon's side more and that's why I'm leaning towards them winning this. The central midfield battle will be a fascinating one, also they'll need Traore and Depay to step up with a big performance as they can be inconsistent at times. I'll go for Lyon to edge it by a goal.

1-0 Lyon. Mariano Diaz shoots from long range. Didn't look like a lot of power was in the shot but there may have been a slight deflection. I think Subasic should have done better. To make matters worse for Subasic he collided hard with the post and will now be substituted. Third choice keeper Seydou Sy now on to replace him in only his second appearance for the team. Benaglio would normally be the back-up but seems he is injured.

2-0 Lyon! Traore with a near post finish from Mendy's cross. Nice move from Lyon.

Update: What a goal! 2-1 now. Keita Balde attacks from the right and rifles in a lovely low shot that goes in off the post.

https://twitter.com/MMCCCIVMCMXCI/status/960251046521114624

Update: And now Monaco have a penalty! Been given for a foul on Glik. Not a peno for me. Falcao will take. Wow, Lopes saved it but Falcao taps in the rebound. Similar story to the Alexis goal for United against Huddersfield. 2-2 now.

Update: Oh man. Keita Balde sent off! Honestly, two of the DUMBEST bookings you'll see. First one for kicking the ball away, second one for a sliding challenge that he didn't need to make. So stupid.

Half-Time: Great entertainment that half. I had a feeling this would be a good one and it hasn't disappointed. Four goals, a penalty, and a sending off. Unfortunately the stupid behaviour of Keita has likely changed the dynamic of the contest for the second half. Monaco will have it all to do to get something from this game: down to ten men and the third choice keeper Sy looks very nervous. Lyon really ought to put this game to bed now.

Update: another blow for Monaco early in the second half as Falcao has to go off after taking a knock. Jovetic on to replace him.

Update: Monaco lead! Rony Lopes makes it 3-2 with a great strike with just minutes remaining. Nightmare for Lyon who haven't made the most of the man advantage.

Full-Time: Monaco win it 3-2. Remarkable result. Leonardo Jardim deserves a ton of credit for that. I should have known better than to doubt him. As expected, the sending off altered the pattern of the game and Monaco decided to sit back and invite Lyon on to hit them on the counter. They came close to scoring before the Rony Lopes goal with Anthony Lopes having to make a few good saves. It was the two players called Lopes that were the standout players for their teams. You have to credit Jardim for the way in which he minimized the influence of Fekir. Lyon had most of the ball but didn't create enough chances and test out the keeper. Depay was disappointing. They couldn't give enough service to Mariano.

Amazing comeback really. 2-0 down and they lose their keeper to injury, then they get it back to 2-2 only for Keita Balde to get himself stupidly sent off, then they lose their talisman and top scorer Falcao, and yet they still find a way to win it in the final minutes. It was there for the taking for Lyon but Jardim had other ideas. One of my favourite coaches in the game today. Happy for him. The result lifts Monaco above Lyon into third, a point behind Marseille.

Was watching the highlights from the other games and there were some great goals scored this round. I think the Lo Celso chip goal is my favourite but this is a lovely curler from Toulouse's Max Gradel:

https://twitter.com/goal/status/959922792585093122

Also really liked this stoppage time winner from Guingamp's Yeni N'Gbakoto. He was signed from QPR in the January window:

https://twitter.com/footynews33/status/960234949000486919

Interesting game tonight between Saint-Etienne and Marseille live on BT Sport ESPN from 7.45. Team news:
    Saint-Etienne XI: Ruffier; Debuchy, Perrin, Subotic, Gabriel Silva; Pajot, Diousse, Bamba, Selnaes; Hamouma, Monnet-Paquet.

Marseille XI: Mandanda; Sarr, Rolando, Rami, Sakai; Gustavo, Anguissa; Thauvin, Sanson, Payet; Germain.

Not a straightforward one to call, this. Marseille have been playing well and are scoring lots of goals of late but Saint-Etienne made two good defensive signings in Sobotic and Debuchy, and have won their last two games. One blow for them is Remy Cabella not eligible to play as he's on loan from Marseille; he was very good last week against Amiens.

Thauvin is arguably the form player in France right now behind Neymar and has been great to watch. Like Neymar, he's into double figures for goals and assists. Sanson, Payet and Germain are in good form too.

I expect Saint-Etienne to play very defensively and that Marseille will have to try and find a way to open them up. It could take a bit of magic from Thauvin, Sanson or Payet to prove the difference. I'll predict a narrow Marseille win.

Update: 1-0 Marseille. Who else but Thauvin opens the scoring for Marseille with a lovely cushioned volley low into the corner. What a season he's having.

https://twitter.com/goal/status/962057856034922497

Goal! 1-1 soon after as Monnet-Paquet rifles home. Rami was made toast in the build-up to that goal. Promising start for the game.

Goal! Wow, it's 2-1! Sanson with a volley of his own from Sarr's cross from the right. Two lovely volleys from Marseille.

Half-Time: Marseille lead 2-1 at the break. The game has been better than I expected, especially since it's taking place with a backdrop of sleet and snow. Hamouma has caused Marseille's defence problems and I'd say he's been the home side's best player. For Marseille, Payet has impressed me with his workrate and he's won the ball back a few times. Thauvin was pretty quiet except for his fine goal. Germain has disappointed me and gave the ball away a few times. Mandanda also has had to go off with an injury but Pele should be well able to deputise since he was first choice last season and did okay. It feels like it's very open going into the second half.

Goal! 2-2 now. Substitute Beric scores with his chest at the near post after a nice cross from Bamba on the right. Fifteen minutes to go. Should be a good finale.

Full-Time: It ends in a draw which I think was the right result. An enjoyable game. Very good save by Ruffier from Thauvin in the final moments to earn Saint-Etienne a point. Both sides missed sitters in the second half: Hamouma for the home side and sub Mitroglou for Marseille. Saint-Etienne overall defended well and Beric was impressive up top when he came on; Marseille struggled to create chances. Thauvin and Germain looked more sluggish than normal and the commentator said they were ill leading into this game so perhaps that's why. It's games like this where I think Marseille's lack of a top striker, unlike their rivals, really lets them down. The result means Monaco can retake second place with a win away to Angers tomorrow.

Saturday results:
    Toulouse 0-1 PSG
    Angers 0-4 Monaco
    Bordeaux 3-2 Amiens
    Dijon 3-2 Nice
    Guingamp 0-0 Caen
    Metz 0-1 Montpellier

Monaco unsurprisingly took advantage of Marseille's slip up last night and are now second. Toulouse went down to a deflected goal from Neymar. I heard Lafont made several saves for the home side although Neymar hit the woodwork twice also. Pity they couldn't hold out for a point.

Gus Poyet continues his 100 per cent record as Bordeaux manager. There was a late fightback though as they were leading 3-0 at one stage. Nice meanwhile suffered another loss which is their third in a row. It seemed they had turned a corner a few weeks back but they've slipped to eighth. They were leading 2-1 before Dijon fought back with Kwon Chang-Hoon getting a late winner off the bench. The second half of that game must have been great as all the goals came in the last 45. In more disappointing news, Nice have confirmed that Balotelli was booked for complaining to the ref about racist abuse he was getting from the crowd. It's not the first time he's had to face this in France. There were incidents last season too.

There's three games live on BT Sport tomorrow: Strasbourg vs Troyes which will have an effect on things near the bottom; Nantes vs Lille with the home side looking to retake fifth spot from Montpellier, as Lille look to escape the drop zone; and the evening game is Lyon vs Rennes, as Lyon aim to keep up with Monaco and Marseille above them. Both teams have lost their last two games.

Strasbourg beat Troyes 2-1 in the early game. I managed to see it and it was an decent match. Blayac came on and got the winner and he made a big difference. Troyes got a stoppage time goal but it was too late for them. Result means Strasbourg go 13th and Troyes stay 19th.

Nantes vs Lille ended 2-2. I had half an eye on this game and Sala looked a big threat for Nantes, although I saw he did miss one good chance.

Lyon vs Rennes is the final game of the round and kicks off at 8 tonight. Team news:
    Lyon XI: Lopes; Tete, Marcelo, Morel, Mendy; Tousart, Ndombele; B.Traore, Fekir, Cornet; Mariano Diaz.

Rennes XI: Koubek; H.Traore, Gnagnon, Gelin, Bensebaini; Bourigeaud, Lea Siliki, Prcic, Sarr; Khazri, Sakho.

A lot of promising young talents in this game: Mendy, Tousart, Ndombele, Traore for Lyon; Gnagnon, Bourigeaud, Sarr for Rennes. The last few weeks of Sunday evening matches have had cracking matches so let's hope the streak continues.

Update: 1-0 Rennes! Khazri with a neat finish inside five minutes after a quick break.

Half-Time: The Lyon fans jeer as Rennes lead 1-0 at the break. Khazri was impressive for Rennes, not just his goal but his workrate. Rennes have defended well and Lyon have struggled to create anything. Their movement is very static. Traore was visibibly frustrated at the lack of options at one point. Think Aouar or Depay may be needed from the bench if nothing changes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Nice are saying Balotelli was booked for complaining about racist abuse in the game yesterday.

Nice are saying Balotelli was booked for complaining about racist abuse in the game yesterday.

Shocking if true. Hopefully they investigate it.

Who are the top goalkeepers in in Ligue 1?

That fall from Troare in the box was gas. :D

monkey9 wrote: »

The best this season has been Lyon's Anthony Lopes imo. He's won them a lot of points. Alphonse Areola has also done well for PSG after a mixed time last season. Stephane Ruffier of Saint-Etienne is great but he was let down by a really poor defence for most of this season. Alban Lafont is a great prospect at Toulouse. He's only a teenager and has made nearly 100 first team appearances.

2-0 Rennes! Caps off a great away performance.

• Advertisement

The best this season has been Lyon's Anthony Lopes imo. He's won them a lot of points. Alphonse Areola has also done well for PSG after a mixed time last season. Stephane Ruffier of Saint-Etienne is great but he was let down by a really poor defence for most of this season. Alban Lafont is a great prospect at Toulouse. He's only a teenager and has made nearly 100 first team appearances.

Yeah, heard about the St Etienne keeper alright but haven't seen much of him. As a Liverpool fan, i'm always curious in goalkeepers in the various leagues as to what's out there.

Great performance from Rennes. I really like Joris Gnagnon in defence. He's got great potential. Only 21 and already very physically strong. He made life very difficult for Lyon's attackers. Khazri put in a great performance up top too.

I thought Genesio was right to bring on Depay and Aouar but I was surprised he took off Mariano at half-time. While he was struggling to get into the game, when you're 1-0 down surely you have to keep on your best striker. Give him another 15 minutes at least. With the amount of pressure Lyon put on in the second half I think he could have got something. Credit to Rennes though for a perfect away display. Rennes now up to eighth and Lyon stuck four points off Marseille in fourth.

Monaco beat Dijon 4-0 tonight to go four points clear of Marseille, who play Gus Poyet's Bordeaux on Sunday evening. Keita Balde, a Fabinho penalty, Rony Lopes and Kamil Glik with the goals. I didn't see the game but it sounds like it was straightforward for Monaco.

PSG play Strasbourg at home who beat them in the reverse fixture earlier this season. I'd be truly shocked if that happens again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

monkey9 wrote: »

Hard to look past Ruffier for me, the most unlucky french goalie in recent times
    Lafont hopefully keeps improving, there has been so many young goalies to fade away in france but he looks like he could be something very special

Saturday results:
    Paris Saint-Germain 5-2 Strasbourg
    Amiens 0-0 Toulouse
    Angers 0-1 Saint-Etienne
    Caen 2-2 Rennes
    Montpellier 1-1 Guingamp
    Troyes 1-0 Metz

Comfortable win in the end for PSG but Strasbourg gave a good account of themselves, taking the lead early on and getting it back to 3-2 at one stage. Of the highlights I've seen PSG looked good in attack but conceding two goals will be a concern with the second leg against Madrid not far away.

The stalemate between Amiens and Toulouse leaves them 17th and 16th respectively. A good win for Saint-Etienne with a late Robert Beric goal lifting them to eleventh. It looks to me like they will pull clear of the relegation scrap now but Angers remain 19th.

A useful point for Caen who came from 2-1 down to get a goal in the last ten minutes. Diafra Sakho got a brace for Rennes and has started well since joining from West Ham in January. Montpellier being held 1-1 by Guingamp gives Nantes a chance to leapfrog them for fifth place tomorrow.

The game between Troyes and Metz was perhaps the most significant as Adama Niane's winner in the 88th minute lifts Troyes out of the relegation zone and means Metz stay bottom, 8 points from safety. It was looking like Metz had a hope of survival a month or so ago but they are falling away from the rest now.

The triple bill of games tomorrow look interesting: Nice vs Nantes is first up with Nice looking to recover from three defeats on the bounce while at least a point for Nantes pushes them into fifth spot; Lille vs Lyon is next with the home side looking to get out of the bottom three while Lyon look to keep pace with the top three; and the evening game involves two teams in good form as Marseille host Gus Poyet's Bordeaux, who since he was appointed have a 100 per cent record.

• Advertisement
Advertisement