Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ligue 1 Superthread 2017/18

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Saturday results:

Comfortable win in the end for PSG but Strasbourg gave a good account of themselves, taking the lead early on and getting it back to 3-2 at one stage. Of the highlights I've seen PSG looked good in attack but conceding two goals will be a concern with the second leg against Madrid not far away.

They could have scored ten. Sadly for them Marcelo wont allow Dani Alves the kind of space constantly over the top on the right wing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Early games ended in draws: Nice vs Nantes was 1-1 and Lille vs Lyon was 2-2. The second game was very good and Lille were trailing 2-0 before they came back. I've been a fan of Lopes this season but I thought he could have done better for Lille's equaliser. The Nice game was quite scrappy but I thought a draw was a fair result. Seri got a negative response from the fans when he was substituted. Surprising how his stock has fallen this season compared to last.

Marseille vs Bordeaux kicks off at 8. Team news:
    Marseille XI: Pele; Sakai, Rolando, Rami, Amavi; Gustavo, Anguissa; Thauvin, Sanson, Payet; Germain.

Bordeaux XI: Costil; Sabaly, Pablo, Kounde, Pellenard; Otavio, Lerager, Meite; Malcom, Laborde, De Preville.

Looking forward to this. Two of the best right-sided attacking players in the league playing in Thauvin and Malcom. Bordeaux are in good form but so are Marseille and I fancy the home side to win tonight. Good chance for Marseille to open up a bit of gap between themselves and Lyon now.

Update: Goal! Thauvin with a header from a Payet corner. Keep saying it but what a season he's having! Should be good for the game as Bordeaux were content to sit back and let Marseille have the ball.

Half-Time and Marseille lead 1-0 at the break. That goal from Thauvin is his 15th in Ligue 1 this season and equals his career best from last season. The game itself has been pretty underwhelming. Marseille dominated possession and Bordeaux have offered little going forward. Malcom has looked most likely to conjure up something but I'd like to see Bordeaux push up more. Hopefully the game opens up in the second half.

Full-Time: Gus Poyet's 100 per cent record is over as Marseille win 1-0 and go six points clear of Lyon in the battle for the Champions League places. I had high hopes for this game but it was pretty underwhelming. Sanson had a few chances to get a second but was denied by Costil. Bordeaux didn't look threatening at all. Gustavo was the MOTM I'd say.

Next week's Sunday evening game should be much better and promises to be a cracker: PSG vs Marseille.

I watched tonight's game between Strasbourg and Montpellier which ended goalless and it was probably the worst game I've seen in Ligue 1 this season. I figured it would be low scoring because Montpellier have the second best defence in the division, but hardly anything good happened. The pitch was abysmal which didn't help. I admire the home fans for making noise all game despite what was served up. Montpellier should have won it as Giovanni Sio had a goal incorrectly ruled offside late on.

The rest of the round's fixtures look much better. A few games tomorrow that have implications for the foot of the table like Lille (17th) vs Angers (19th). Sunday's games look especially tasty with the Derby Du Rhones between Lyon and Saint-Etienne followed by the evening game of PSG vs Marseille.

Saturday results:
    Toulouse 3-3 Monaco
    Dijon 2-0 Caen
    Guingamp 2-2 Metz
    Lille 1-2 Angers
    Nantes 0-1 Amiens
    Rennes 2-0 Troyes

After last night's snoozefest in Strasbourg, the games today were much more exciting. Monaco surprisingly let slip a 3-1 lead against Toulouse in the final fifteen minutes. I've only seen brief highlights but Toulouse's second was a penalty that looked ridiculously harsh on Monaco. Jardim wasn't happy about it.

There's been big changes near the bottom. Before today's games Amiens were 18th and Angers were 19th. Both are now out of the relegation places after their away wins and Troyes and Lille are the new occupants of those places. Karl Toko Ekambi has been so important for Angers with his goals and he got both today. Bottom club Metz almost pulled off an upset and were leading 2-1 into the final few minutes but a late Guingamp equaliser leaves them 8 points adrift. Metz are looking likely to go down but the scrap to avoid the other places is looking ridiculously close. As things stand there's less than ten points separating 19th from 8th.

Really looking forward to Sunday's matches. First game up is Bordeaux vs Nice and with Montpellier and Nantes dropping points this weekend, both teams have a chance to make ground in the battle for a Europa League place. The Derby Du Rhone with Lyon and Saint-Etienne is always a raucous atmosphere and while Lyon will be in good spirits after knocking out Villarreal in the Europa League, Saint-Etienne have been much improved since their January transfer business. The evening game of PSG vs Marseille needs no build up with these rivals first and third in the league. If Marseille can pull off an away win, they will go ahead of Monaco for second.

Bordeaux vs Nice ended 0-0 earlier. Didn't see the game but from reading reports it sounds like the home side were unlucky not to win as they hit the post three times.

Been watching the Lyon vs Saint-Etienne derby where it's now half-time. Mariano Diaz scored a lovely goal, outclassing a fine defender in Loic Perrin in the process.

https://twitter.com/goal/status/967803322198409216

The standout player has been Lyon's Tanguy Ndombele who has bossed things in midfield. I've praised this guy a lot but it really is ridiculous how good this guy is at just 21 years of age. He's big, strong, powerful, mobile, tenacious, clever on the ball, can dribble. Only thing he's missing is goals and he has time to work on this aspect of his game. The super clubs of Europe will be falling over themselves to get him in years to come, barring injuries. A star in the making. Remember the name.

Update: Goal! Saint-Etienne equalise in the 90th minute through Debuchy!

Full-Time: It ends 1-1 and Lyon have now gone five domestic games without a win. As much as Lyon dominated the first half, Saint-Etienne were on top in the second and were worthy of a point. Lyon lost Tousart and Fekir to injuries and it proved costly in the end. Diakhaby who came on for Fekir should have cleared the cross that led to Debuchy's equaliser. Depay was disappointing for Lyon. Far too selfish. Ndombele was Lyon's best player and Cabella was the standout talent for Saint-Etienne. With Monaco and Lyon dropping points this weekend it lifts the pressure on Marseille ahead of their game tonight with PSG.

Team news for PSG vs Marseille which kicks off at 8:
    PSG XI: Areola; Alves, T Silva, Marquinhos, Kurzawa; Lass, Lo Celso, Rabiot; Neymar, Cavani, Mbappe.

Marseille XI: Pele; Sakai, Rolando, Rami, Amavi; Gustavo, Anguissa; Thauvin, Payet, Ocampos; Germain.

Looking forward to this one and seeing how well Thauvin and Gustavo do as they've been in great form. Mbappe needs a big performance tonight as he's been below par in recent weeks. Will be interesting to see how Diarra gets on against his former side.

Update: Goal! Mbappe opens the scoring! Ten minutes gone.

20 mins in: Ocampos lucky not to be given a red for a bad follow through on Dani Alves. Studs right on his ankle. Only gets a yellow.

https://twitter.com/GuillaumL_/status/967857540355842049

2-0 now. Rolando O.G. Neymar guides it towards goal with Cavani lurking nearby. Defender felt he had to go for it but can only turn it into his own net.

Half-Time: PSG lead 2-0 at the break. Marseille struggling to create anything of note and can't get enough service to Thauvin. Diarra has been a big positive for PSG and has looked the best since his return. Neymar has caused problems as usual. Not a lot of positives for Marseille. Sanson has done well since coming on. Rolando is having a bit of a mare.

3-0. A bullet of a goal from Cavani. Neymar with the assist. No way back for Marseille now but I don't think there was anyway.

https://twitter.com/VideosCDL1/status/967873145469358080

Oh f*ck. Neymar just went over on his ankle really awkwardly. Hope this isn't serious but he looks in a lot of pain.

He's being stretchered off and is in tears.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuccccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Full-Time and PSG win 3-0. A comprehensive victory for PSG who rarely looked troubled. Thauvin had a few forays down the right but overall PSG dealt with him well. Diarra put in a good performance in midfield for PSG which was a big plus.

All of that feels overshadowed though by Neymar's injury. The game with Madrid is 9 days away and the way he went over on the ankle looked bad.

https://twitter.com/Oscar3Rodriguez/status/967877733991710723

He was crying as he went off so it seems he suspects it's a significant one. Would be a real shame for him and for the sport if he misses such a huge Champions League game.

Two games on Friday evening:
    Nice 2-1 Lille
    Monaco 2-1 Bordeaux

I saw the Monaco game. They dominated in the first half but Jovetic, Ghezzal and Lemar all missed good chances and then Bordeaux got a goal against the run of play through Vada. Monaco were able to turn it around, however, and were worthy of the win. Rony Lopes played well I thought.

Cyprien scored and had an assist in the early game. Good to see him coming back to his form from last season after his awful injury woes.

I didn't see any of the Coupe de France games in mid-week but amazingly two third division sides have made the semi-finals and will play each other for a place in the final: Les Herbiers and Chambly. In the other tie, Caen play PSG. I'd love to see Caen make it to the final. Fingers crossed for them. At least they won't be facing Neymar...

• Advertisement

Saturday results:
    Troyes 0-2 PSG
    Amiens 0-2 Rennes
    Angers 3-0 Guingamp
    Metz 1-1 Toulouse
    Saint-Etienne 2-2 Dijon

PSG made a lot of changes ahead of their Champions League game with PSG. Di Maria got the first goal and you'd think he has to play a big part against Madrid in some fashion after Emery neglected to use him at all in the first leg.

Good win for Angers over Guingamp that sees them climb to 14th. Karl Toko Ekambi got yet another goal for them. Disappointing result for Metz who conceded an equaliser in the last six minutes. If they are to pull off a miraculous escape they need wins. It could prove a precious point for Toulouse though.

Robert Beric got two goals for Saint-Etienne in their draw with Dijon. He could have got a hat-trick but his peno was saved by Baptiste Reynet. Wahbi Khazri continues to do well for Rennes meanwhile and was on the scoresheet as they climbed to fifth spot - for the time being. Khazri's a loan signing from Sunderland and with his form he'd be a big asset to Chris Coleman right now. I watched him against Lyon a few weeks ago and he was probably Man of the Match.

The three remaining games tomorrow are Caen vs Strasbourg, Montpellier vs Lyon and Marseille vs Nantes. The final two games have implications in the battle for European places.

Lyon lost more ground in the battle for a Champions League place as they were held to a 1-1 draw with Montpellier. It now means Marseille can go 8 points clear of them with a win over Nantes later.

Caen beat Strasbourg earlier 2-0 to help their survival hopes and leave Strasbourg still looking over their shoulder.

Marseille vs Nantes team news:
    Marseille XI: Mandanda - Sarr, Rolando, Rami, Amavi – Zambo Anguissa, Luiz Gustavo - Thauvin, Sanson, Payet - Germain.

Nantes XI: Tatarusanu - Awaziem, Diego Carlos, Pallois, Lima - Girotto, Krhin - Dubois, Rongier, Kayembe - Sala

Goal: 1-0 Nantes! Dubois with a great strike. It all came from a Marseille move breaking down after the ref got in the way. This ref isn't winning over any Marseille fans. He's already booked Gustavo who was lucky not to get another after sarcastically applauding the booking.

Half-Time: Nantes lead 1-0 at the break through Dubois's goal. What's interesting is that Dubois is set to join Lyon at the end of the season and his goal could be very useful in keeping alive Lyon's hopes of pipping Marseille to the Champions League spot. Marseille have dominated possession but haven't been able to test Tatarusanu. They look a bit bereft of ideas. Having said that I do think they had a good case for a peno as Nicolas Pallois looked to have pushed Rolando over during a corner. Nantes have been tough to break down and have looked decent on the counter. Sala has done well for them up front and has impressed me when I've seen him this season.

Update: Goal! Thauvin equalises with the last kick of the game! A goalmouth scramble and Thauvin puts it away.

Full-Time: The game ends 1-1. Apparently Nicolas Pallois was given a second booking for his protest following Thauvin's goal. I don't recall the commentators mentioning it. Pallois felt he was pushed by Gustavo - not sure there was much contact - but I thought he should have had a peno given against him in the first half. I also thought Marseille deserved a penalty in the second half for a handball from Diego Carlos. The referee had a poor game.

It was an entertaining match. Payet went close with some acrobatic efforts. Overall Nantes defended well and I thought the young left-back Chidozie Awaziem did pretty well dealing with Thauvin for the most part, but Thauvin got the last word. The result means the battle for the Champions League and Europa League places still looks open.

Monaco beat Strasbourg 3-1 last night. Falcao was rested as he comes back to full fitness. Jovetic played up top and opened the scoring. He's done well of late.

PSG vs Metz is live on Eir from 4. Metz are bottom so this should be a routine win for the home side unless they have a bad Champions League hangover. Teams:
    PSG XI: Areola; Meunier, Thiago Silva, Kimpembe, Berchiche; Verratti, Lass Diarra, Nkunku; Di Maria, Mbappe, Draxler.

Metz XI: Kawashima; Rivierez, Niakhate, Selimovic, Balliu; Cohade, Diagne, Poblete; Milicevic, Roux, Dossevi.

Update: It's been routine as expected with a 4-0 lead for PSG at half-time. Meunier opened the scoring. Nkunku has added a further two and Mbappe has added the fourth just before half-time. Nkunku looks impressive in this wing role he's playing. He's come close to a hat-trick.

Full-Time: PSG win 5-0. Thiago Silva added a goal in the second half, his first of the season. Mbappe and Di Maria should have added further goals to the scoreline but finished poorly. It was a stroll for Paris and Metz are looking certs to go down with their rivals having games to come.

All Saturday results:
    PSG 5-0 Metz
    Bordeaux 0-0 Angers
    Dijon 1-1 Amiens
    Lille 1-1 Montpellier
    Nantes 1-0 Troyes
    Rennes 1-1 Saint-Etienne

Not a lot of goals today apart from the PSG game. Four draws and a narrow win for Nantes. Sala got Nantes' winning goal via a Leo Dubois assist. Those two players are having good seasons.

Sunday's games see Guingamp host Nice, Lyon host Caen, and the evening game is Toulouse home to Marseille. The final game interests me most with Marseille in the hunt for a Champions League spot and Toulouse just a place above the bottom three.

Hell of a game earlier by the sounds of it. Nice won away 5-2 against Guingamp with Alassane Plea scoring four goals. Plea was great last season but ended up getting injured and missing the last part of the season. He hasn't been quite as good this season but perhaps he's recapturing some of that form now.

Lyon currently goalless against Caen at half-time. Their form in Europe has been good but domestically they haven't won a game in several weeks. Be interesting to see if they can put that right in the second half.

Update: 1-0 Lyon just after the hour mark. Traore with the goal after good work from Mendy. About ten minutes before Mendy went close with a shot that hit the post.

Full-Time: Lyon win 1-0 and get a badly needed win that puts them 2 points behind 3rd placed Marseille who play Toulouse later. Mendy played well and was a standout for Lyon. It should have been a more comfortable win but Vercoutre made several good saves and Lyon were wasteful.

Marseille have beaten Toulouse in the last game of the round 2-1. Mitroglou came on as sub and got the winner a minute later. I only turned over for the last few minutes. I saw Lafont make a superb save by tipping a shot on to the crossbar but it wasn't enough as Toulouse remain in 17th; Marseille meanwhile are still in third, now five points clear of Lyon. Marseille are at home to Lyon in next Sunday's evening game so that could be a cracker. Both of them are in action in the Europa League this Thursday too.

Next Ligue 1 game is this Wednesday at the unusual time of 4 pm. That's PSG at home to Angers.

Speaking of PSG, French broadcaster Telefoot claim that they have three top targets to replace Unai Emery as manager: Mauricio Pochettino, Antonio Conte and Luis Enrique.

Also said that they are seeking a holding midfielder with Fabinho and N'Golo Kante names mentioned; while a goalkeeper is also wanted with De Gea, Courtois and Donnarumma their top targets for the role.

I don't see Pochettino, Kante or De Gea as realistic targets. I think Enrique, Fabinho and Donnarumma could be doable in the summer.

Three of the best players for Sevilla tonight in their Champions League win all have a history in Ligue 1: Lenglet, N'Zonzi, and Ben Yedder. Sevilla have done well scouting talent from the league. Simon Kjaer did well too; he had a spell with Lille a few years back.

In other news, the PSG President has been to visit Neymar:

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/973329854904008704

Reminder that PSG take on Angers at 4 in the afternoon tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

PSG defeat Angers 2-1 in the 4pm kickoff. A brace for Mbappé in the first half either side of a straight red for Thiago Motta. Ekambi got Angers back in it but they couldn’t find an equaliser.

There’s going to be some big clubs sniffing around Ekambi this summer you’d have to think, to score 14 goals with not a whole lot of talent behind him is a great achievement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

martyos121 wrote: »
    PSG defeat Angers 2-1 in the 4pm kickoff. A brace for Mbappn the first half either side of a straight red for Thiago Motta. Ekambi got Angers back in it but they couldn’t find an equaliser.

There’s going to be some big clubs sniffing around Ekambi this summer you’d have to think, to score 14 goals with not a whole lot of talent behind him is a great achievement.

I think Brighton were trying to bring him in in January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

monkey9 wrote: »
    I think Brighton were trying to bring him in in January.

Jesus, he deserves better than that. :eek:

Even a team like Everton could do with him, not a huge club but the guy should be looking at a step up this summer at least.

Even more impressive that Toko Ekambi didn't play the whole game. He started on the bench, perhaps because Angers were saving him thinking this game was a write-off. The Motta red card changed things. He nearly got another at the end too but Trapp made a good save.

I like him. He's already scored goals this season against Nice, Lyon and Marseille, and now PSG can be added to that list so he's proven himself capable of scoring against quality sides. I think Brighton remain interested in him but I could see a few Premier League clubs looking at him in the summer.

Monaco vs Lille the offering tonight. The game is on BT Sport 3 at 7.45. Monaco looking to keep hold of second place and their 4 point lead over Marseille - second place sends a team directly to the Champions League group stage, as opposed to third which sends a team to the tricky qualifying round route. (Nice found what a pain in the backside that can be). Lille meanwhile are in a relegation fight sitting 19th. Anything from this game would be a big boost for them. Teams are like so:
    Monaco XI: Subasic; Sidibe, Glik, Jemerson, Raggi; Tielemans, Moutinho; Rony Lopes, Lemar, Keita Balde; Falcao.

Lille XI: Maignan; Edgar Ie, Soumaoro, Junior Alonso, Ballo-Toure; Thiago Maia, Amadou, Thiago Mendes; Benzia, Mothiba, Pepe.

Happy to see Falcao back fit but it's harsh on Jovetic to miss out as he's been in great form. Rony Lopes has been impressive lately as has Sidibe. For Lille, Nicolas Pepe has been great for them; their survival hopes mainly rest on him. Thiago Mendes has also done well and I see those two as Lille's main threat.

Can't see past a Monaco win but would like to see Lille make a fight of it. I'll say 2-1 to the home team.

Now this is interesting. Lille take the lead via Mothiba. Nice cross from Thiago Mendes. They've done pretty well so far the away side.

Update: Equaliser for Monaco! Just before half-time. Rony Lopes at the second time of asking after Maignan saved his first shot. Harsh on Lille who have been the better side.

Half-Time: 1-1 at the break. If you told someone unfamiliar with the sides that Monaco were second and Lille were 19th they wouldn't believe it as Lille bossed most of the half. Amadou has been powerful for Lille in midfield and they're getting joy on the right flank via Thiago Mendes. I don't like Raggi in the left-back spot. It's an area Monaco need to bolster. Subasic has had to make a few saves to keep the score down but most of the shots were right at him. Monaco need a big improvement if they are to win this game. They're being outmuscled and outplayed so far.

Update: 2-1 Monaco just on the hour mark. Jovetic on as a sub for Keita dinks it over Maignan after a good ball from Moutinho. Monaco have improved this half. Lille still pose a threat though. I feel Monaco may need a third to make sure of this.

Full-Time: It ends 2-1 to Monaco. I said I wanted Lille to make a fight of it tonight and they did, particularly in the first half. Bit harsh on them to come away from the game with nothing but I thought Monaco improved enough in the second half to merit the win. Wasn't a great performance from the home side but Lopes did well and Jovetic proved the difference off the bench. Good result for Jardim with Marseille and Lyon playing each other on Sunday. Marseille currently seven points behind Monaco as it stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Can't see past a Monaco win but would like to see Lille make a fight of it. I'll say 2-1 to the home team.

Hope you threw a few quid on it!

Hope you threw a few quid on it!

They only come good when I don't. :pac:

• Advertisement

Saturday results:
    Bordeaux 0-2 Rennes
    Amiens 1-1 Troyes
    Angers 3-0 Caen
    Montpellier 2-2 Dijon
    Toulouse 2-2 Strasbourg

Some very interesting results concerning the relegation battle. Angers are the big winners jumping from 14th to 12th. Toko Ekambi continues his impressive form with a 16th goal of the season. He also provided an assist.

Sounds like the Toulouse (17th) vs Strasbourg (15th) game had an amazing finish. Strasbourg were leading 1-0 going into the final minute of normal time but former Arsenal man Yaya Sanogo grabbed a quick brace to make it 2-1 only for Strasbourg to equalise in the 94th minute. That could have big implications in the weeks to come. Amiens (16th) vs Troyes (18th) ended 1-1 with both sides scoring from the spot.

Elsewhere, Rennes are fifth for the time being with a good win over Gus Poyet's Bordeaux; and Dijon's Wesley Said got a brace, including one in injury time, to get an impressive away result at Montpellier. Said is a player who is under the radar a bit. He's played well of late and scored a few goals lately, plus he's only 22. One to keep an eye out for.

Two games I'm really looking forward to tomorrow: Nice vs PSG at noon and Marseille vs Lyon at 8 pm. The evening game is pretty much must-win for Lyon to keep alive their Champions League hopes. They are having a bad week after being knocked out of the Europa League on away goals by CSKA Moscow. Other games tomorrow are Metz vs Nantes and Saint-Etienne vs Guingamp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭- bo -

I've really slacked off on this thread the past while... it's nothing to do with the rotten form, honest.

Got to be getting 3 points at Metz today. Then again I said likewise against Toulouse and Amiens and we got 1 from 6 there. Rennes have surged this past few weeks and the battle for 5th is anyone's from ourselves, Rennes, Montpellier and Nice.

The cup story with the 2 third division sides playing for a place in the final incredible. Les Herbiers are from the Vendée region and are actually closer than Nantes to where I have family in France. I've followed their results since they got promoted to the third tier a few years ago. They get less than 1,000 people at their league games but 22k turned out to watch them in Nantes for the quarters and there is talk of a 34k sellout at the same venue for the semis!

- bo - wrote: »
    Got to be getting 3 points at Metz today. Then again I said likewise against Toulouse and Amiens and we got 1 from 6 there. Rennes have surged this past few weeks and the battle for 5th is anyone's from ourselves, Rennes, Montpellier and Nice.

Only the 1-1 draw with Metz in the end. You could see on Ranieri's face how disappointed he was. Not a result that does either side any favours. Kawashima did have to make a stunning save to get Metz something from it though.

In the early game PSG beat Nice 2-1. It was a bit harsh on Nice who played well. Saint-Maximin got the opening goal after a lovely ball from Plea. Balotelli went close and hit the crossbar with a header. Goals from Di Maria and Dani Alves got the win. The Alves goal was a funny one because Emery repeated the substitution that made so many people mad from the first leg with Madrid: Cavani off, Meunier on. This time however it worked. Alves was a threat up top and got the winner.

Saint-Etienne beat Guingamp 2-0 in the afternoon game. Subotic and Cabella with the goals.

Final game is at 8 tonight on BT Sport 3 and it's a big 'un: Marseille vs Lyon. With Marseille 5 points clear of Lyon for the last Champions League spot, a win for them would make it all but theirs; Lyon likely need to win this to keep the battle alive. Team news:
    Marseille XI: Mandanda; Sakai, Rolando, Rami, Amavi; Luiz Gustavo, Lopez; Thauvin, Payet, Ocampos; Germain.

Lyon XI: Lopes; Rafael, Marcelo, Morel, Mendy; Tousart, Aouar, Ndombele; Cornet, Mariano Diaz, Bertrand Traore.

Can't wait to see who comes out on top in this midfield battle. Some of the best talents in the league about to square off. Fascinated to see how Ndombele gets on as he's been one of the breakout talents of the season but he's up against the experienced Gustavo who has had a great season himself.

I fancy Thauvin can get some joy against Mendy tonight as Mendy likes to get forward a lot. I think that could be a potential route to Marseille winning. I'll go for the home side to edge it 2-1.

1-0 Marseille. Payet set-piece delivery finds Rami who heads it to his defensive partner Rolando to tap it in. Marseille have had the better of possession although Lyon had come closest to scoring prior to the goal. Mandanda had made a good save from Traore just beforehand.

Update: 1-1! Great strength from Ndombele as he outmuscles Rolando and puts in a cross that Cornet ricochets off Rami and into the net. Think it's an O.G. Lyon deserve it. Just prior to that Mandanda produced a superb stop to deny Cornet.

Half-Time: Entertaining game so far. Marseille have had a lot of the ball. Payet looks up for the occasion. Gustavo has done well too. Thauvin has been pretty quiet and Germain was poor. Amavi's done well bombing down the left. For Lyon, Rafael is looking a liability. He's on a yellow for a bad tackle on Amavi and he got involved in a face-to-face with Ocampos that could have seen him get a second booking. Wouldn't surprise me to see him subbed. Lyon have had good chances but Mandanda has denied them with quality stops. Eager to see which way this goes.

GOAL! 2-1 Lyon. Aouar strokes in a lovely finish from outside the box after a lovely passing move from Lyon. Lovely build up play. Lyon have started this half really well.

Equaliser! Mitroglou on as a sub for Germain who was poor has lobbed it over Lopes with his head. Poor defending from Morel there. Marseille were poor for most of the half but have gradually done better. Five minutes of normal time remaining.

Update: Gooooooaaaaaaaaaallllllll. 3-2 Lyon. Depay on as sub has surely won it for Lyon! He guides a header towards goal and Mandanda can't get to it. Unbelievable. He won it late against PSG and it looks like he's won it late against Marseille.

Full-Time: Lyon pull off a huge result with a win that brings them within 2 points of Marseille in the battle for the final Champions League place. Marseille won't be happy over Mitroglou being flagged offside when he had a clear run on goal. Replays showed he was in his own half. I think Lyon deserved it though. Marseille's big players didn't do enough. Thauvin in particular disappointed me. I've been a fan of his this season but it must be said he hasn't been great against the big sides. He was quiet against PSG recently and he was largely anonymous tonight. That won't help his case to make the France squad. Mendy got the better of their duel which I was not expecting. Tousart, Aouar and Ndombele all did well for Lyon, as did Traore. Gustavo did well for Marseille and Payet had some decent moments but Thauvin, Ocampos and Germain all poor. Defending from both sides not good enough either. Mandanda had a good game and is unfortunate to pick the ball out of his net three times.

There was an ill-tempered ending to this game, seemingly started with Marseille's Rami lashing out at Marcelo with a swing.

https://twitter.com/OL_Plus/status/975493035139260416

That caused a few altercations on the pitch. Then as they were leaving the field Marcelo took off his shirt and began goading the Marseille fans:

https://twitter.com/SuperCazarre/status/975495084287385600

That then resulted in more aggro in the tunnel. Here's Marcelo's wife narrating Rami trying to get at her husband. :pac:

https://twitter.com/OL_Plus/status/975499205480501248

I suspect there will be a few fines dished out here at the very least.

• Advertisement

PSG take on Monaco in the French League Cup Final tomorrow. BT Sport 3 are showing it. Kick-off is at 8.05pm.

I hope to see Jardim pick up the silverware but PSG are understandable favourites.

Had a look at Dijon vs Marseille earlier which Marseille won 3-1. Germain had given Marseille the lead but Dijon equalised through substitute Kwon Chang-Hoon. He's the player that scored against Northern Ireland in Korea's recent friendly and he scored a nice volley here. Ocampos then made it 2-1.

The game's ending was eventful. Ocampos won a peno in the 92nd minute that also saw Dijon down to ten men for the foul. Payet took the pen but Dijon keeper Reynet saved it. Then 2 minutes later Payet won another peno and stepped up to take it again and this time he did score. That was the last kick of the game. Payet has played very well of late.

Bad news for Marseille is that keeper Mandanda went off injured and was followed by centre-back Rami. Thauvin is already out so they're going into their Europa League quarter-final with Leipzig in a very depleted state. I would have given them a decent chance with a fit and healthy squad but I have to lean towards Leipzig now.

Line-ups for the French League Cup Final which kicks off just after 8 tonight.
    PSG XI: Trapp; Dani Alves, Thiago Silva, Kimpembe, Berchiche; Verratti, Rabiot, Draxler; Di Maria, Cavani, Mbappe.

Monaco XI: Subasic; Sidibe, Glik, Jemerson, Raggi; Tielemans, Fabinho; Rony Lopes, Moutinho, Lemar; Falcao.

Surprised Emery plays Draxler deep in midfield. He tries this against the so-called lesser teams he expects to beat comfortably but usually he's more cautious against the likes of Monaco. Big match for Tielemans to show something. I'd worry that Raggi would be a weak link in the left-back spot.

Would love Monaco do it but reckon PSG to win by two goals.

Penalty awarded to PSG minutes into the game. Mbappe fouled by Glik.

Edit: Or maybe not. VAR being used. Ref checking on a monitor. Verdict is it WILL be a peno. It's the right call.

And Cavani makes it 1-0 from the spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

This thread and your updates really makes me want to start refollowing the French league again. Used to really like Monaco until they got relegated.

Di Maria makes it 2-0. What a ball from Mbappe who has had an excellent start to this game. Poor from Subasic though. Never been convinced by him.

https://twitter.com/Anton75_/status/980164778432847873

Update: Big miss from Rony Lopes when through on goal. Tries to dink it over Trapp but puts it wide. Was a nice ball from Moutinho.

Falcaaaaaooooooooooo. 2-1. Lifeline for Monaco as Falcao gets on the end of a Rony Lopes cross. Not great keeping from Trapp.

Edit: F*cking VAR. Goal is ruled out for Falcao being offside. That looked very tight. Back to 2-0 now. Don't think anyone in the crowd knows why the goal was chalked off.

https://twitter.com/BD_ESPN/status/980169735529746432

Half-Time: PSG lead 2-0 at the break. It's a deserved lead and could have been worse for Monaco as Cavani and Draxler missed good chances. Monaco came closest with the disallowed goal which looks a marginally correct call. I do wish they would keep the fans more informed about what's going on in these situations. Mbappe has been superb in this game and he's given Raggi a torrid time. I think this is the best I've seen Mbappe play this season.

Not sure why BT Sport's commentator Jon Champion is telling me about Zlatan Ibrahimovic scoring for LA Galaxy. He's been plugging Ibra's debut all night. Does he not realise that game is on Sky aka the competition? :pac:

Edit: I've just seen the goal on Twitter. It was worth a mention tbh.

Update: Cavani scores to make it 3-0 and make sure of the trophy. Mbappe involved again with an assist.

Full-Time and a deserved victory for PSG. Mbappe had his best game in a PSG shirt and Draxler played very well too. PSG's defence didn't give Monaco much of a sniff. Kimpembe showed why he's one of the best defensive prospects in the world.

Watching Gungamp vs Bordeaux here and there's been a real comedy moment. Malcom had his penalty saved by Guingamp keeper Johnsson but the defence then make a complete mess of clearing it and Malcom taps in the rebound.

Edit: Here it is...

https://twitter.com/be_INUTILE/status/980454630428639232

It's 2-1 to Guingamp now with ten minutes remaining.

Full-Time: Guingamp win it. Very handy result for them. Bordeaux have gone off the boil after a good start for Poyet.

Full list of the earlier Sunday results:
    Guingamp 2-1 Bordeaux
    Caen 1-3 Montpellier
    Lille 0-1 Amiens
    Nantes 0-3 Saint-Etienne
    Strasbourg 2-2 Metz
    Troyes 0-2 Nice

Nantes have started to struggle of late. They slip to 8th with Saint-Etienne up to 9th - Debuchy got a goal and Cabella got a brace for them. Another good result for Montpellier who take fifth spot and leave Caen sweating about relegation.

Speaking of the relegation battle, very poor result for Lille who are looking in big trouble. That was a game they would have fancied they should win against a relegation rival.

Troyes in a bad way too just ahead ahead of Lille after their defeat. Plea got both goals for Nice and is in very good form. Strasbourg and Metz's draw doesn't do much for either side. Metz look doomed at the bottom, 8 points from safety. Strasbourg looking over their shoulder.

It's quite open, Metz aside, at the minute...

13. Angers - 35
    14. Caen - 35
    15. Amiens - 34
    16. Strasbourg - 33
    17. Toulouse - 30
    18. Troyes - 29
    19. Lille - 28
    20. Metz - 22

Toulouse are in action later in the evening away to Lyon. Hard to see them getting anything from that. Lyon need to win to keep pace with Marseille for the final Champions League spot.

Update: Lyon leading Toulouse 2-0 at Half-Time. Comfortable half for Lyon as Toulouse have looked toothless going forward. I don't think Lopes has had to make a save. Ndombele and Aouar have been impressive once again in midfield. Depay opened the scoring after a nice assist from Aouar and Ndombele later won a penalty that Depay also scored. I'd be surprised if Lyon let this slip now.

Full-Time: It ends Lyon 2-0 Toulouse. Lopes didn't have much to do in the first half but he made two good saves in the second half. Lyon also could have extended their lead with Depay missing a chance for a hat-trick. Aouar had a few chances to get on the scoresheet as well. Lyon were worthy winners and go to within 2 points of Marseille. Toulouse remain just a point above the drop zone.

• Advertisement

Rare for PSG to be in Friday evening action but they are tonight, away to in-form Saint-Etienne. Kick off is 7.45. Teams:
    Saint-Etienne XI: Ruffier; Debuchy, Subotic, Perrin, Gabriel Silva; M'Vila, Selnaes; Monnet-Paquet, Cabella, Hamouma; Bamba.

PSG XI: Areola; Meunier, Marquinhos, Kimpembe, Kurzawa; Rabiot, Lass Diarra, Lo Celso; Pastore, Mbappe, Di Maria.

Looking forward to seeing how Debuchy gets on as there's been speculation he could be in line for making Deschamps' squad to Russia due to his impressive form. Cabella has also been in fine form of late. Mbappe was great against Monaco and him vs Subotic and Perrin should be interesting.

I wouldn't be shocked if Saint-Etienne get something tonight as they are in good form and this isn't the strongest looking PSG side.

1-0 Saint-Etienne! Cabella keeps up his strong form with a goal. Good cross from Debuchy They have started the game well the home side.

Penalty miss: Massive opportunity for Saint-Etienne to take control of this game goes begging as Cabella has his spot kick saved by Areola. Kimpembe had conceded the peno after Hamouma got goal-side of him and he tugged him back. PSG have been very poor this opening thirty minutes but maybe the penalty save will wake them up.

Wow Kimpembe sent off after being given a second yellow for a bad challenge. PSG in big trouble in this game. A dire half for them just got even worse.

Half-Time: PSG lucky to go in at the break only a goal down. Probably the worst I've seen them play this season. Saint-Etienne have been much the better side. Debuchy playing very well. Cabella and Bamba also putting in good performances. With the exception of Areola who saved the penalty, can't think of any positives for PSG. Mbappe has been very disappointing. Emery has some big calls to make now. I'd get Cavani on for Pastore and push Mbappe out wide. He'll have to sacrifice one of Lo Celso or Diarra; Di Maria can be asked to drop deep. Interesting to see what changes he makes. Thiago Silva presumably will replace Kimpembe.
    Update: As second half begins it's Diarra that is sacrificed while Thiago Silva comes on. No Cavani yet.

Update: Emery makes the change of Pastore for Cavani. 68 minutes gone. I think he should have made it on the hour mark at the latest.

:eek:

Cavani may have had the miss of the season. And I thought I saw the miss of the season by Icardi in the Milan derby. Di Maria put it on a plate for him!

https://twitter.com/JR_014/status/982352779392905216

https://twitter.com/Le_magiicien/status/982352579735838720

One of the world's best strikers but my goodness he does miss a lot of chances.

Oh no! Debuchy turns it into his own net in the 92nd minute. Equaliser at the death for PSG. And Debuchy had put in a Man of the Match performance.

Absolutely heartbreaking for Saint-Etienne.

Full-Time: Game ends 1-1. Hell of a match which had everything: red card, penalty, contender for miss of the season, stoppage time equaliser.

Feel really sorry for Saint-Etienne who performance-wise would have been worthy of a win. Debuchy put in a great display despite the O.G. which was unlucky as Mbappe had played it against him. A lot of good performances from the home side: Perrin defended well, Ruffier made good saves, Selnaes good in midfield, Cabella and Bamba did well in attack.

PSG were poor with Areola their best player. He kept them in the match. Di Maria had some nice moments in the second half too.

A win tonight and a Monaco loss tomorrow against Nantes would have made PSG champions, but now Paris have to wait until next week to be crowned champions as they take on...Monaco.

Saturday results:
    Monaco 2-1 Nantes
    Amiens 3-0 Caen
    Angers 1-1 Strasbourg
    Bordeaux 2-1 Lille
    Guingamp 4-0 Troyes
    Toulouse 0-1 Dijon

Most of the teams in the relegation battle failed to pick up points but Amiens are the exception. They were 15th prior to this evening's games and just 5 points above the danger zone; now they are up to 13th and sitting on 37 points. Would be a great achievement if they survive and former Chelsea player Gael Kakuta got on the scoresheet for them tonight. He's been a very good signing for them.

Lille suffered their third defeat in a row and remain 19th. To make matters worse they were leading the game. Troyes are just above Lille in 18th place and they've tough games coming up against Marseille and Saint-Etienne. Toulouse stay a point above Troyes after their loss to Dijon - the Korean Kwon Chang-hoon scored for Dijon; I've said before that he's a player I like and I'm glad he's finishing the season well. Good chance we'll see him at the World Cup this summer.

Elsewhere, Karl Toko Ekambi got a 17th goal of the season for Angers and that moves him ahead of Thauvin and Mariano Diaz in the scoring charts. Only Cavani, Neymar and Falcao are ahead of him. Speaking of Falcao, himself and Rony Lopes each scored and provided an assist for each other as they came from behind to beat Nantes. Ranieri's future will be interesting to keep an eye on. I've read reports that he has fallen out with the board and is interested in taking charge of Lyon but he told French media tonight he is staying with Nantes for next season. We'll see what happens.

Sunday results:
    Nice 1-1 Rennes
    Metz 0-5 Lyon
    Marseille 0-0 Montpellier

First half of Nice vs Rennes was decent; Plea continued his good form with another goal via a deflection while Bourigeaud got a nice equaliser for Rennes. Bourigeaud also nearly pulled off a goal very similar to the David Beckham halfway line goal but on this occasion the keeper Benitez tipped it over.

Depay was on fire in the Lyon game and was involved in all of the goals. He got on the scoresheet himself and provided FOUR assists. They were playing the worst team in the league but he was very impressive nonetheless. Ndombele also produced another strong performance. He's one of my favourite players to watch right now.

The evening game was a real dud. Marseille were so poor and that result means Lyon have now taken third spot on goal difference which is significant as that's the last Champions League spot. Payet has played well of late but he was so bad here he was subbed by Rudi Garcia. Sanson went closest by hitting the post but Marseille were unfortunate to be denied a penalty after a foul on Mitroglou by Hilton.

Next week's evening game should be a much more lively one as PSG are home to Monaco and looking to clinch the title. A draw should be enough for PSG due to their massive goal difference so if Monaco are to be party poopers like United were against City and delay the inevitable, they'll need to win.

Angers vs Nice is coming up on Eir Sport 1. A win for Angers should confirm their survival; Nice are chasing a Europa League place. Team news:
    Angers XI: Butelle; Manceau, Thomas, Traore, Bamba; Santamaria; Oniangue, Mangani, Tait, Reine-Adelaide; Toko Ekambi.

Nice XI: Benitez; Souquet, Dante, Marlon, Le Marchand; Seri, Tameze, Lees-Melou; Srarfi, Plea, Saint-Maximin.

Both sides have two of the most in-form strikers in the league in Toko Ekambi and Plea; both have been linked with moves to the Premier League.

I'll go for Angers to edge it and get the 3 points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Hows Ballotelli getting on with Nice recently?

Advertisement