Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offer from Hibernia - so unsure - help!

Options
  • 29-07-2017 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi guys,

Got an offer from Hibernia to start their PME course in September. Am glad I got the offer, but now the reality of what has to be done is settling in.

Would be really helpful if people could give their opinions on a few issues for me:

- They say you will spend 37 hours a week doing this course, does this turn out to be true?

- As a working trad musician, I still need nights free to do gigs (to earn money), they say you need to keep from 6 - 9pm free on weeknights for tutorial groups etc. Is this true? Would they be on as late as 8 - 9pm?

- I've been reading the forums here, and some people are saying that it can take 8 years or so to secure a permanent position. Is the employment situation that competitive?
    I am hearing conflicting reports between either schools unable to get subs, or the market just being flooded with graduates unable to secure anything at all.

I would like to be a teacher, but at 33 I don't know if it is realistic if the next two years will be completely swallowed up by doing this course, and then potentially another 8 years searching for permanent employment.

Replies are much appreciated,

S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

I didn't do my PGDE (earlier version of the PME) with Hibernia, so I can't comment on the specifics of the course.

The rest of your questions depend on whether you are primary or secondary and if secondary, whether you have 2 subjects to teach and what they are.

stayyoung wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Got an offer from Hibernia to start their PME course in September. Am glad I got the offer, but now the reality of what has to be done is settling in.

Would be really helpful if people could give their opinions on a few issues for me:

- They say you will spend 37 hours a week doing this course, does this turn out to be true?

- As a working trad musician, I still need nights free to do gigs (to earn money), they say you need to keep from 6 - 9pm free on weeknights for tutorial groups etc. Is this true? Would they be on as late as 8 - 9pm?

- I've been reading the forums here, and some people are saying that it can take 8 years or so to secure a permanent position. Is the employment situation that competitive?
    I am hearing conflicting reports between either schools unable to get subs, or the market just being flooded with graduates unable to secure anything at all.

I would like to be a teacher, but at 33 I don't know if it is realistic if the next two years will be completely swallowed up by doing this course, and then potentially another 8 years searching for permanent employment.

S

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Yea, all comes down to subjects. It's unlikely you'll get full hours anyway so don't take the pay scales as the amount you'll get. You'll have to divide it by however many hours you get (if secondary).

There was a good thread here recently on the course, with people saying you can watch the tutorials back later ( I think). If you could find that it would be helpful.

Hi guys,

S

Are you primary or secondary?

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

S

Hi, I started the primary PME course in a April, and have been working full time as a teacher, and musician since then. You do need to juggle a few bits, but if you miss a webinar (too big to take roll) you can always go back and listen to them again the next day or so.
    There are online tutorials that are a little different, for example the Irish one is just you local cohort, so 20-30 people, and they do check those the odd time it seems. But these are only once every two weeks or so, and last an hour to an hour and a half at most!
    Just make sure you get to your onsite days, placements and Gaeltacht and you'll be fine!

Plenty of sub work, can't get enough of them at the mo, I've been turning down work! But there is just no telling how the job market will be when you are finished, some people walk into jobs, others take years. Right place, right time, and knowing the right people I suppose..

My mother returned to the Hdip at 40, and has never looked back! Age is only a number, and the jobs will come. Don't base your worries on the work at the end. You will regret not doing the course even more, if it's what you really want :)

If you have any other questions about it though, send me a PM, happy to help where I can 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 29 rossoc

Hi Guys,

I started the PME in primary in April 2017 and I am finding it hard to keep a full time job and do the course. I was wondering would it be possible to get subbing work now? I am registered with the teaching council and have my number etc. But I'm nervous to leave my job on the thought that MAYBE I will a days subbing every month or two.

I am also a fluent German and French speaker and I was wondering what is your opinion about approaching schools from this angle about language classes.

Thanks guys :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Sazgle

Just finished the PMEPP with Hibernia.

You can sign on the dole outside of teaching practice because technically it's a distance course...or so my dole officer told me!

I worked full time up to my first TP. There are online tutorials to do, as well as online sessions to attend, but it's manageable. I also worked full time (office temping) between my other TPs and during the writing of my dissertation after final TP. I claimed the dole for the weeks I didnt have work.

Weekend sessions were mostly in Dublin for our cohort, with some in the midlands too. The summer of 1st year was non-stop with Saturday seminars and micro-teaching so bear that in mind too.

You may not have much of a social life for the two years. Yes it's uncertain. Yes there are less jobs than there are teachers. Yes, you will be broke. But...after 10 years in the corporate world I feel like my life has started over, and it's the best decision I made.

Best of luck with your decision. What's for you will not pass you by!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 rossoc

Sazgle wrote: »
    Just finished the PMEPP with Hibernia.

You can sign on the dole outside of teaching practice because technically it's a distance course...or so my dole officer told me!

I worked full time up to my first TP. There are online tutorials to do, as well as online sessions to attend, but it's manageable. I also worked full time (office temping) between my other TPs and during the writing of my dissertation after final TP. I claimed the dole for the weeks I didnt have work.

Weekend sessions were mostly in Dublin for our cohort, with some in the midlands too. The summer of 1st year was non-stop with Saturday seminars and micro-teaching so bear that in mind too.

You may not have much of a social life for the two years. Yes it's uncertain. Yes there are less jobs than there are teachers. Yes, you will be broke. But...after 10 years in the corporate world I feel like my life has started over, and it's the best decision I made.

Best of luck with your decision. What's for you will not pass you by!

Hi Sazgle,

I was under the impression that we were unable to draw the dole as the PME Is full time 3rd level education. That would be very handy if we were able to claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

I think people may eligible for back to education allowance for the PME but I think that's the full time PME. Otherwise they can claim Part time education allowance so long as it doesn't interfere with their ability to take on work. Always double check with the department of social protection before you start.

www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/back_to_education/back_to_education_allowance.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Sazgle

rossoc wrote: »
    Hi Sazgle,

I was under the impression that we were unable to draw the dole as the PME Is full time 3rd level education. That would be very handy if we were able to claim.

Technically Hibernia is a an online / distance course, and therefore you can claim unemployment, as long as you show that you are looking for work when asked. I had no issues in claiming (I did have 10 years of uninterrupted credits though). You're not eligible for payments during TP as you're not available to full time work during that period.

The the BTEA specifically excludes online / distance courses.

Welfare website states the following:

"2.7 What is not eligible for support under BTEA

The following are not considered eligible courses of study for BTEA purposes:

Part-time or evening courses
    Courses leading to minor/special purpose awards or component certificates where less than 30 credits are awarded and/or are less than 18 weeks duration
    Single modules or components of a course of study
    Single semesters
    Distance learning or on-line courses
    Full-time study outside Ireland and Northern Ireland"

Hope this helps. Talk to your local dole office and they'll let you know. I found my one was very helpful, and because I was doing teacher training, they seemed to be on my side.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Last year saw a big shortage of subs, due to the new and longer B.Ed courses . Schools employed students as there weren't anyone else .
    This year will be far different , so don't count on any subbing , being practical.

• Advertisement
Advertisement