Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trophies /Achievements

Options
  • 29-07-2017 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Been thinking recently and got to discussing with my nephew is who is 12 years younger than me but it got me thinking about trophies in games. They mean nothing to me, in fact they don't mean a thing to him either. But I'm aware of some folk who actively seek them out. Unless they've managed to obtain the lot of them they haven't completed the game.

Each to their own but I personally don't see the point. Of course this can add another layer of fun to said game and I can sort of understand where they're coming from. So, fellow boards gamers, how so you feel about them? Are you trophy whore or just not bothered?

Apologies if this has been done to death. I couldn't find another thread.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I love them personally and as long as there not too time consuming too get I will go for them, I hate when games have trophies though that require multiply playthroughs on different difficulties or multiplayer ones can be annoying also.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Usually if I've finished a game (as in main story and stuff) but I want to keep playing the game, I'll take a look at the trophy list and see what's left to do. If the trophies aren't stupid (like ridiculous multiplayer trophies or do something X,XXX times) I'll usually go for the platinum as something to aim for to keep playing the game. Some trophies can be great and take you out of your comfort zone and do things in a different way, or just present a tough challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Could not care less for them either TBH, only game I ever got a platinum in is Rainbow 6 and I had no idea I was so close. Never checked it once......To me it makes the games a chore trying to do a certain thing in a certain way.

But as way said each to their own, but you could use the trophies to get some replay value once you do clear a game.

I'd be in the obsessed category I'd say :o

I see them as an additional goal to work towards. I hate the lazy and pointless collectible ones or the kill X in multiplayer etc. The best ones are a mix of skill, creativity and humour that lead you to see things in the game you might not see or an extra challenge. Some of the best experiences I've had are from playing on hardest difficulty for the achievements, something I might not have done otherwise. Something like Dishonored 2 with it's no powers , no kills all in one run etc

Hate when they have difficulty based ones don't stack or when the hardest difficulty isn't available from the start, forcing you to replay.

I said when I got a ps4 in march it would be great not to have to worry about achievements but here we are with 6 games played and 4 platinum.

My number one rule is that I won't let achievements stop me from playing a game.

It's silly but I even check strava to see if I got any after my bike rides :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Interesting perspective, thanks. I've little or no interim them however I am two short of a platinum on Arkham Knight and I wasn't even trying. But am I mad to get to get those extra too, just because haha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I've no interest in them. Find the obsession over them a bit odd in fact but whatever keeps ppl happy I guess.

Interesting perspective, thanks. I've little or no interim them however I am two short of a platinum on Arkham Knight and I wasn't even trying. But am I mad to get to get those extra too, just because haha.

Arkham Knight is a good example. I platinumed Asylum and City because I really enjoyed playing them, so pushed myself to go for the platinums to keep playing the game and give me something to aim towards. But I didn't enjoy Knight as much. I got all the riddler stuff and all, but when it came to doing the challenge rooms and whatever else was left, I just couldn't be bothered.

To me, that's what trophies are for. Want something to keep you playing the game? Here's something to work towards!

And the only reason I platinumed Tekken recently is I unlocked a hell of a lot of trophies pretty quickly, so checked the list and saw I only had 3 or 4 left, so just went for them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They mean nothing to me. They are just busy work to extend the life of a game far beyond the point where it was fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Depends on the game. Horizon for example, i platinumed that by finishing the story. I'm one of those people who plays RPG's and does all the side quests before completing the story (if possible), and i wasn't trophy tracking, it just happened because i got all i possibly could out of the game before finishing it.

Then you have the easy platinum trophies, like Beyond Good and Evil HD, you platinum that just by finishing the game. If I finish a game, i'll check the rest and if they're possibly without grinding or MP, i'll probably do them.

But i detest the online ones, especially the ones that require a lot of online play, as i don't play well with others.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I've seen on peoples psnprofiles that have platniumed the witcher 3 in a week :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Been thinking recently and got to discussing with my nephew is who is 12 years younger than me but it got me thinking about trophies in games. They mean nothing to me, in fact they don't mean a thing to him either. But I'm aware of some folk who actively seek them out. Unless they've managed to obtain the lot of them they haven't completed the game.

Each to their own but I personally don't see the point. Of course this can add another layer of fun to said game and I can sort of understand where they're coming from. So, fellow boards gamers, how so you feel about them? Are you trophy whore or just not bothered?

Apologies if this has been done to death. I couldn't find another thread.

Big time trophy whore....for games I enjoy.........or I'm close to getting
    TLOU I finished it with like 3% trophies, I feel no need to get the rest the same as Uncharted and these were two of my fave games.
    Games like Fifa I get them all by playing except the draft which is a whore mode
    Usually platinum Madden for same reason as fifa except draft is available offline :D
    Games I put like 50/60 hours into, I usually can platinum or get very close (Stupid Gwent card collection)
    So it depends on the game is the gist of it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I never went for them nor care about completing them... EXCEPT! when im playing souls or bloodborne games.... and Nioh.. But thats it!... so far

:D

nix wrote: »
    I never went for them nor care about completing them... EXCEPT! when im playing souls or bloodborne games.... and Nioh.. But thats it!... so far

:D
    . Have considered playing Bloodborne again with that in mind. How's Nioh? Souls like? Been debating getting it.

Thanks for taking the time to post lads. To be honest I was expecting more trophy whores. Every day is a school day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

. Have considered playing Bloodborne again with that in mind. How's Nioh? Souls like? Been debating getting it.

Yes its a great game, very souls like but its own beast. I loved it from start to finish.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think trophies are way worse than achievements. Sony's software is absolute garbage as always so it takes an eternity for trophy data to come in off the server. Achievements are instantaneous. It means on PlayStation I've lost interest in trophies before they've finished loading.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

If I like the gameplay of the whatever I'm playing I'll usually try to get the rest of trophies while catching up on Youtube videos or podcasts.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I think trophies are way worse than achievements. Sony's software is absolute garbage as always so it takes an eternity for trophy data to come in off the server. Achievements are instantaneous. It means on PlayStation I've lost interest in trophies before they've finished loading.

Yeah it's undoubtedly been a poor system, but I've heard the next software update is designed to greatly improve it. Several years later than it should be, but at least it should be a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

No interest in them whatsoever.
    It also seems like games NEED to have them now as a prerequisite.

The developer might not even want to have achievements in there, but fanboys and hunters are screaming for them, so they make up stupid or random achievements just to please these guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

SeantheMan wrote: »
    No interest in them whatsoever.
    It also seems like games NEED to have them now as a prerequisite.

The developer might not even want to have achievements in there, but fanboys and hunters are screaming for them, so they make up stupid or random achievements just to please these guys.
    I'm pretty sure trophies or achievements are required if you want to release on MS or Sony platforms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I'll go for them if they don't make the game a chore. If they are a bit of an extra challenge, or I'm close to getting them anyway, or they involve doing something interesting, I'll give them a go

I'm 2 or 3 short of getting the platinum on Arkham Knight but can't be arsed trying to get them. Never got a platinum. In fact, I've never actually made a conscious effort to get any trophy,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

Most of the time no but sometimes if a game is really good then I'll have a go, tried that gauntlet run a few times on TF2 but just couldn't be arsed to fully commit the time required. If they are tied to side quests and collectibes that are fun then ok, multiple playthroughs is a no-no, again each to their own.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Penn wrote: »
    Yeah it's undoubtedly been a poor system, but I've heard the next software update is designed to greatly improve it. Several years later than it should be, but at least it should be a lot better.

Eh what? I don't seem to have those issues, is this something common?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

dudeeile wrote: »
    Most of the time no but sometimes if a game is really good then I'll have a go, tried that gauntlet run a few times on TF2 but just couldn't be arsed to fully commit the time required. If they are tied to side quests and collectibes that are fun then ok, multiple playthroughs is a no-no, again each to their own.

Eh what? I don't seem to having those issues, is this something common?

Mine syncs in a few seconds. I even had a look last night at my trophies cos I got one in overwatch and wanted to see what one it was. I dont really care about the trophies, I am buying games to play them, not get hung up chasing some novelty trophy.

dudeeile wrote: »
    Eh what? I don't seem to have those issues, is this something common?

It's not common. It's a fact. It's a hangover from when they half arsed the trophy system into the PSN network during the PS3 era. They were really caught on the hop with not having an achievements type system.

What we ended up with is terrible legacy code still hanging around on the current system making things slow while Xbox live was built from the ground up with things like achievements in mind.

Loading your own achievements is still really slow on PSN but not as bad as loading a friends which takes an eternity. On xbla it's near instantaneous. Sony has always been really weak with software, especially networking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Evade wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure trophies or achievements are required if you want to release on MS or Sony platforms.

This should definitely NOT be the case.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

SeantheMan wrote: »
    This should definitely NOT be the case.

I'm not sure it is, I can think of one game that doesn't have them anyway. Though maybe the caveat is they have to plan on adding them at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Takes like 3 seconds for the trophies to load for me on PSN.
    I dunno what I'm missing here.
    Is the issue here those few seconds it takes while it says "syncing with PSN"? :confused:

Is the issue here those few seconds it takes while it says "syncing with PSN"? :confused:

There just impatient :pac:

• Advertisement

Pretty much. Coming from a 360 it's really annoying. If you've not experienced the difference it might not be so bad but live is a much more integrated and user friendly interface.

Advertisement