Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing for mackerel

Options
  • 29-07-2017 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

As a newbie to fishing with very little knowledge I'm looking for a good spot for mackerel along east coast from Louth to Wicklow. I was thinking of annagassen or Wicklow town

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Clogherhead Pier is your best bet. But little happening this year and the seals are a pest.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Marcmc

What about the pier in greenore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Marcmc wrote: »
    What about the pier in greenore

Not the pier but the strand. It has a fierce tidal pull and harder for a newbie to cast to deep water. The shelf also causes a lot of snags for inexperienced anglers.

No macks there yet thus year either.

But, sure give it a go if the location suits you. I only said Clogherhead because you mentioned Annagassan.

Dunany point is good, but only if you know the macks are definitely in Clogher.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭pcasso

Sorry to bump an older thread but just looking for some quick advice.
    I am not an angler but I have a buddy coming over from Canada next week who likes to fish and I am planning to bring him down to Greenore. (We are in Carlingford)
    I was just wondering, in the unlikely event that we might catch something do I need a licence?
    I assume that the most likely thing to catch is mackrel but don't want to do anything illegal.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭dmc17

pcasso wrote: »
    Sorry to bump an older thread but just looking for some quick advice.
    I am not an angler but I have a buddy coming over from Canada next week who likes to fish and I am planning to bring him down to Greenore. (We are in Carlingford)
    I was just wondering, in the unlikely event that we might catch something do I need a licence?
    I assume that the most likely thing to catch is mackrel but don't want to do anything illegal.
    Thanks.

No, you'll be fine for the most part sea fishing. Some species like bass have size & number limits etc.

Most is covered in one page here I think

http://www.fishinginireland.info/regulations.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭pcasso

dmc17 wrote: »
    No, you'll be fine for the most part sea fishing. Some species like bass have size & number limits etc.

Most is covered in one page here I think

http://www.fishinginireland.info/regulations.htm
    Thank you for that.
    I'll try not to catch any salmon
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭dmc17

pcasso wrote: »
    Thank you for that.
    I'll try not to catch any salmon
    :D

You'd be doing well! :D

Advertisement