Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding a pull cord to a wall light

Options
  • 29-07-2017 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi, I'm replacing an existing wall light in my bathroom that is wired but is not connected to the wall switch, it operates via a pull cord.

I want to replace the light, is my only choice to select a light fitting with a pull cord (I don't want to connect it up to a new switch) or is it possible to add a pull cord to a light that is sold without one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

oisin_reme wrote: »
    Hi, I'm replacing an existing wall light in my bathroom that is wired but is not connected to the wall switch, it operates via a pull cord.

I want to replace the light, is my only choice to select a light fitting with a pull cord (I don't want to connect it up to a new switch) or is it possible to add a pull cord to a light that is sold without one?

Would it be possible to post a picture of the light or a link to an image of it?
    Is the pull cord part of the light fitting or a separate device?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 oisin_reme

aido79 wrote: »
    Would it be possible to post a picture of the light or a link to an image of it?
    Is the pull cord part of the light fitting or a separate device?

The existing light is one of those shaver style ones, the pull cord looks to be part of the light fitting, see attached photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

oisin_reme wrote: »
    The existing light is one of those shaver style ones, the pull cord looks to be part of the light fitting, see attached photo.

Is there any reason why you don't want to replace it with a similar light? You would be making an easy job difficult by replacing it with a different type of light and then trying to add a pull cord to that light.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 oisin_reme

aido79 wrote: »
    Is there any reason why you don't want to replace it with a similar light? You would be making an easy job difficult by replacing it with a different type of light and then trying to add a pull cord to that light.

Short answer is I don't like the light, the bathroom is being renovated and it doesn't match, I've seen a light that I really like but it doesn't have a pull cord.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

The only pull cords you will get are designed to be hung from the ceiling, so this will involve a rewire anyway.

Most people would go with an illuminated bathroom mirror nowadays rather than separate mirror and light. Is the light you have found a bathroom light? Would need to be due to risk of condensation and unusual that such a light wouldn't have a pull cord.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4328719/Trail/searchtext%3EBATHROOM+MIRROR.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

I actually found a small pull cord, http://www.ebay.ie/itm/PULL-SWITCH-660-mm-PULL-CORD-BATHROOM-MIRROR-TABLE-LAMP-LIGHT-VERY-SMALL-/112076958964?hash=item1a184eacf4:g:giQAAOSwbYZXZB0k

I don't know if you could add this to your chosen lamp, it would be dodgy I'd say. If you look at the ebay listing, the picture shows a safety note saying the the pull cord is only to be used to replace an existing pull cord, so the product isn't intended for addition to a light not designed for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,028 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

its a long shot, but if this fits the intended scheme, it'd be an easy swap out.

http://www.diy.com/departments/colours-escala-chrome-effect-incandescent-bathroom-wall-light/847621_BQ.prd

Advertisement