Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

L-plate - Can I drive on my own going to the test centre for my driving test?

• 30-07-2017 6:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

As the title says, can I do it? I got a text from RSA about driving without the company of a full licensee being illegal. But, do they really check if you are alone or with company?

Thanks very much.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

JT809201 wrote: »
    As the title says, can I do it? I got a text from RSA about driving without the company of a full licensee being illegal. But, do they really check if you are alone or with company?

Thanks very much.
    No, they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Sparko

They don't see you arrive, so for all they know there was someone with you and that person then went for a wander around town while you're doing the test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

It's a while since I've done mine, but they did take notice of how you arrived at the centre at Sarsfield road in cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

JT809201 wrote: »
    As the title says, can I do it? I got a text from RSA about driving without the company of a full licensee being illegal.
    Fine start to a potential lifetime of driving by knowing something is illegal but planning to disregard it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I wouldn't chance it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

My husband did his at Wilton. I accompanied him as the licenced driver, so we complied with the law. We met a young girl there, who clearly arrived on her own. It was early on a Saturday morning, so I was running through some last minute things with my husband, and told him to put the side lights on when setting off. The girl overheard and asked what the side lights were! I don't remember anyone checking to see if the driver was accompanied.

She passed too! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

My husband did his at Wilton. I accompanied him as the licenced driver, so we complied with the law. We met a young girl there, who clearly arrived on her own. It was early on a Saturday morning, so I was running through some last minute things with my husband, and told him to put the side lights on when setting off. The girl overheard and asked what the side lights were! I don't remember anyone checking to see if the driver was accompanied.

She passed too! :eek:

Side lights? Do you mean parking lights?

I mean side lights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I've only ever hear them be called side lights in the UK. Most places call them parking lights. Why would you use just your side/parking lights for your test?

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

They never checked when I did mine. My father genuinely got a call just before they called my name. But they wouldn't of known that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

A friend of mine was turned away from Wilton test centre for being unaccompanied. Had to pay to full fee and all! She went back a few months later with someone accompanying her and passed. This was about 6 months ago.

I did my test in Killarney in January 2016 and went alone and they didn't notice. I'd say it depends on the test centre. If I was doing it again I probably wouldn't risk it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Legally, no. Do they check, who knows.
    I mean side lights.

Side lights, parking lights. Same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,013 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I mean side lights.

They are parking lights. Either dipped beam or DRL when the car is moving, except during lighting up hours use dipped beam

TheChizler wrote: »
    I've only ever hear them be called side lights in the UK. Most places call them parking lights. Why would you use just your side/parking lights for your test?

First off - I am English. It was dawn-ish when he did his test, so he put the side lights on as the street lamps were on, but still a bit dark. So that was why.

Perfectly acceptable, and he still passed his test...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,134 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I mean side lights.

I've driven dozens of office cars over the last 30 odd years, I've been never had a car with side lights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Sleeper12 wrote:
    I've driven dozens of office cars over the last 30 odd years, I've been never had a car with side lights.

I bet you've never had road tax either ☺

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

First off - I am English. It was dawn-ish when he did his test, so he put the side lights on as the street lamps were on, but still a bit dark. So that was why.

Well that explains why you knew that term and she didn't then. Not the topic of the thread but side/parkong lights are for parking, you're much better off with headlights which are for driving when it's dark. Probably wasn't that dark though since you got away with it.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Well that explains why you knew that term and she didn't then. Not the topic of the thread but side/parkong lights are for parking, you're much better off with headlights which are for driving when it's dark. Probably wasn't that dark though since you got away with it.

I've been driving for 34 years. I think I know which lights do what by now! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

I failed nct for a blown bulb in my side light. Side light was printed on the form, so they do exist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Galbin

I know a girl who failed her test because she rocked up to the test centre without an accompanying driver. Sure, many centres won't catch you out, but some will. So don't risk it. Many testers would be delighted to fail you for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I don't know but it seems for some people it does not register as a learner your not suppose to drive unaccompanied at any time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,134 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I bet you've never had road tax either ☺

Nope it's always been motor tax. The roads aren't taxed, the cars are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

Galbin wrote: »
    I know a girl who failed her test because she rocked up to the test centre without an accompanying driver. Sure, many centres won't catch you out, but some will. So don't risk it. Many testers would be delighted to fail you for it.

I'd say you know a girl that said she failed for not going with an accompanying driver!!

You shouldn't go to the test without one any more than you shouldn't have one on any other day.
    Testers cannot enforce the law. Any learner should always have a fully licensed driver with them that that's held it for at least 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

For all the clever cloggs:

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Road%20Safety/Leaflets/Leaf_booklets/Correct%20use%20of%20lights.pdf

Sidelights are very much a thing in Ireland. Even the RSA say so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭dennyk

The tester can't actually outright fail you for not having an accompanying driver, but if they notice it, it could certainly affect their outlook and make them less inclined to be lenient with you on other aspects of the test, and given how subjective many of those aspects can be, that is not a good thing for you. Plus it's illegal for you to drive anywhere without an accompanying driver, so just don't do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

dennyk wrote: »
    The tester can't actually outright fail you for not having an accompanying driver, but if they notice it, it could certainly affect their outlook and make them less inclined to be lenient with you on other aspects of the test, and given how subjective many of those aspects can be, that is not a good thing for you. Plus it's illegal for you to drive anywhere without an accompanying driver, so just don't do it.

Maybe it's changed, but when I was doing my driving test in my instructors car and was waiting at the test center, The tester asked if I could do the test now (15 mins early) as the 2 previous people were refused the test as they drove into the center unaccompanied.

They were not failed, but did lose the money they paid for the test and had to reapply for a new test date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 islandlady

The office my mother works in shares a car park with the driving test centre I went to. She came with me as my test was early in the morning so I dropped her to work and I went in alone. Nobody else I saw was accompanied. I wouldn't advise going alone, but I think its unlikely you will be penalised

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JT809201

Fine start to a potential lifetime of driving by knowing something is illegal but planning to disregard it anyway.

I know it's illegal and I do not intend to break the law. You see, I got a text from RSA with regard to the test and they mentioned about driving with company. Yet, some people told me to disregard the text and you can go there on your own.

I say, it depends on the test centre. But as what people here say, why chance it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Is it part of the test to have a accompanied driver? No.

Therefore you cannot fail.

Advertisement