Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

L-plate - Can I drive on my own going to the test centre for my driving test?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

They don't check, much to my frustration. It took me six attempts to pass my test. The main impediment was that both of my parents bought automatics and I had limited access to a manual. When I did have access, it was difficult to get someone to accompany me so I had very little practice.

Pretty much every time I failed the test there was at least two or three people who went in before and after me who I could see had driven to the test centre themselves and then drove away. Both times illegally.

The problem with the system in Ireland is that if you play by the rules and have even mildly difficult circumstances, it becomes incredibly difficult to learn. Break the rules? Sure you'll never be caught anyway and at least you're not cranking out test fees repeatedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Galbin

I'd say you know a girl that said she failed for not going with an accompanying driver!!

You shouldn't go to the test without one any more than you shouldn't have one on any other day.
    Testers cannot enforce the law. Any learner should always have a fully licensed driver with them that that's held it for at least 2 years.

Nope. She was literally turned away and told she could not sit it that day. Hence it was an "automatic fail".

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭caldew

Somebody has been telling you a little white lie. You cannot have your test refused if you don't have an accompanying driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

caldew wrote: »
    . You cannot have your test refused if you don't have an accompanying driver.

Source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭Kerry_2008

caldew wrote: »
    Somebody has been telling you a little white lie. You cannot have your test refused if you don't have an accompanying driver.

Maybe she failed and didn't want to have to admit as such and made this up about the accompanying driver?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Source?

The test starts when you enter the test centre at your allotted time and are called to begin. There is no watchman in the car park, there is no questioning of how you arrived at the test centre.

As for for Galbin's friend who they claim were simply turned away, I just do not believe this is how it went down as there is no basis for this anywhere that I can see.

All that being said, it is completely illegal to drive at any time unaccompanied for those who hold a learner permit. So there is nothing preventing a garda from stopping you on your way to the test centre, or as you arrive.

The test starts when you enter the test centre at your allotted time and are called to begin. There is no watchman in the car park, there is no questioning of how you arrived at the test centre.

As for for Galbin's friend who they claim were simply turned away, I just do not believe this is how it went down as there is no basis for this anywhere that I can see.

All that being said, it is completely illegal to drive at any time unaccompanied for those who hold a learner permit. So there is nothing preventing a garda from stopping you on your way to the test centre, or as you arrive.

I think you guys are buying into the myth that the RSA puts out there that testing criteria and standards are all the same everywhere. They are not. See Churchtown (42% pass rate) vs Ennis (73% pass rate), for example. Some testers are power trippers and thus will state that the tester cannot do the test that day for such a reason. Hence why I said it was an automatic fail, rather than an actual fail.

Also, the RSA sent me a text the day before to say that I had to have an accompanying driver with me. Why would they bother otherwise?

Galbin wrote: »
    I think you guys are buying into the myth that the RSA puts out there that testing criteria and standards are all the same everywhere. They are not. See Churchtown (42% pass rate) vs Ennis (73% pass rate), for example. Some testers are power trippers and thus will state that the tester cannot do the test that day for such a reason. Hence why I said it was an automatic fail, rather than an actual fail.

Also, the RSA sent me a text the day before to say that I had to have an accompanying driver with me. Why would they bother otherwise?

The testing standards and criteria are all the same. Having differing pass rates means nothing in this context. It is expected for there to be variation given human error in marking, and even conditions around different test centres.

I can't say why the RSA sent you a text, but it does seem like good advice doesn't it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

They are just reminding you of your legal status as one permitted the use of a car to learn to drive. You may be confident of passing and indeed pass. But until you have a driver's licence, you don't have one and are bound by the requirements a learner driver needs to meet.

No rsa tester nor clerk at the ndls is going to say otherwise. I don't get why there seems to be such a grey area presented regarding it. I must of been told it 3 times in the runup to my last test and twice immediately after passing.

troyzer wrote: »
    It took me six attempts to pass my test. The main impediment was that both of my parents bought automatics and I had limited access to a manual. When I did have access, it was difficult to get someone to accompany me so I had very little practice
    The problem with the system in Ireland is that if you play by the rules and have even mildly difficult circumstances, it becomes incredibly difficult to learn. Break the rules? Sure you'll never be caught anyway and at least you're not cranking out test fees repeatedly.
    I am in the same situation, as I do not have access to a car. I notice that the people who pass first time almost always have daily access to a car, and most have driven around for years before they took a test. Before I sat a test, I honestly thought it was a test of your ability to drive safely. It’s not. It tests your ability to drive as if the car is an extension of your body.  This only comes through 100s of hours of driving, unless you happen to be one that takes to it like a duck to water. Just yesterday, I was in a car with a taxi driver who never indicated and cut loads of corners. Yet he has his licence. And failing to indicate is a lot more dangerous than what I was failed for: "not being smooth enough". Firstly, that does not put any in danger, and secondly, the reason I wasn't smooth was because the tester gave me like no warning before he would tell me where to turn. That is unrealistic and unfair. Apparently. my instructor said that the rule is MSM plus 10 seconds, but he did not give me enough time for that.

• Advertisement

The testing standards and criteria are all the same. Having differing pass rates means nothing in this context. It is expected for there to be variation given human error in marking, and even conditions around different test centres. 
    In mathematics, something that happens once can be attributed to random chance. When something occurs repeatedly over and over (Churchtown vs Ennis), it may indeed be human error, but human error is causing what mathematics would definite as a pattern. On a technical level, the standards are not the same accross the country. No way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

In mathematics, something that happens once can be attributed to random chance. When something occurs repeatedly over and over (Churchtown vs Ennis), it may indeed be human error, but human error is causing what mathematics would definite as a pattern. On a technical level, the standards are not the same accross the country. No way.

The standard to be demonstrated is the same no matter what centre you do the test in.

After that there are many variables in play.

For example in the two you use to support your contention, one is a very busy urban environment where the other is a quieter small town.
    So simply in one there may be a significant volume of traffic during the test regardless of time while in the other the only time an applicant may encounter a significant volume of traffic is at school start and end times.

But this is taking the thread in a different direction.

After that there are many variables in play.

For example in the two you use to support your contention, one is a very busy urban environment where the other is a quieter small town.
    So simply in one there may be a significant volume of traffic during the test regardless of time while in the other the only time an applicant may encounter a significant volume of traffic is at school start and end times.
    The standard may "technically" be the same, but in reality it's not, given the consistent difference in pass rates. An instructor told me that it's easier to pass in the country areas because the tester is much more likely to be generous in their marking. The rationale is apparently that you need to drive to be able to get to work or school in the country, whereas they feel you can just take the bus if you live in the Leinster area. This had never occurred to me, but it makes a lot of sense. Perhaps that is what you  mean by "human error" but it means 7/10 will pass in Ennis vs 4/10 in Churchtown.
    OP, in short: you may land on a nice tester in your centre, or you may land on a mini demiGod. So, don't take any chances. Have someone go with you to the test centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

It took me six attempts to pass my test. The main impediment was that both of my parents bought automatics and I had limited access to a manual. When I did have access, it was difficult to get someone to accompany me so I had very little practice
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]The problem with the system in Ireland is that if you play by the rules and have even mildly difficult circumstances, it becomes incredibly difficult to learn. Break the rules? Sure you'll never be caught anyway and at least you're not cranking out test fees repeatedly.[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]I am in the same situation, as I do not have access to a car. I notice that the people who pass first time almost always have daily access to a car, and most have driven around for years before they took a test. Before I sat a test, I honestly thought it was a test of your ability to drive safely. It’s not. It tests your ability to drive as if the car is an extension of your body. [/font][font=Arial, sans-serif] [/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]This only comes through 100s of hours of driving, unless you happen to be one that takes to it like a duck to water. Just yesterday, I was in a car with a taxi driver who never indicated and cut loads of corners. Yet he has his licence. And failing to indicate is a lot more dangerous than what I was failed for: "not being smooth enough". Firstly, that does not put any in danger, and secondly, the reason I wasn't smooth was because the tester gave me like no warning before he would tell me where to turn. That is unrealistic and unfair. Apparently. my instructor said that the rule is MSM plus 10 seconds, but he did not give me enough time for that.[/font]
    I think once upon a time they actually tested for confidence rather than smoothness but it's since morphed into smoothness. I agree with you, occasionally lifting the clutch up slightly too quickly is not imperiling you as a driver but you seem to get brownie points for it.

Having said that, your taxi driver wouldn't pass a test if that's how he drove. I've noticed even myself getting lazy. I always indicate and check my windows but sometimes cut corners and go faster to break amber lights on junctions I know I'll be waiting ages in.
    The ability to learn how to drive and even to just drive generally as a younger person is entirely down to your financial resources. Unless you have parents willing to fork out thousands of euro for insurance and lessons etc, it's just not doable. In the old days, a part time summer job would easily pay for a license, car and insurance throughout a school or college year if you were responsible and saved hard. It can't be done now. I'm currently living in Australia and I paid $3,000 for my car which would probably cost twice that at home. My insurance is $28 a month for third party and it's around $1 a litre at the moment for fuel if you get it on cheap days. The only thing that's more expensive car-for-car is my road tax at around $600 a year. The same car at home would be closer to 200 euro a year to tax. But Australian road tax actually covers your legal minimum insurance coverage which is third party personal, not third party property. My $28 a month isn't actually necessary, I just have it for peace of mind in case I crash into a $200,000 Mercedes.

And none of this compromises their driving standards. They have a much stricter driving regime than we do. We have two license categories and a test for each one, in this state they have three license categories and three tests. As well as that, you can theoretically be a full, non encumbered driver within 30 months of passing your theory test in Ireland. Here in WA you need to do a theory test, then get enough practice, then sit a driving test, then wait six months, then sit ANOTHER test which requires you to have had 50 hours driving experience to do, then you have a license which doesn't allow you to drive at night, then wait six months, then you have the Irish equivalent of an N plate for another 18 months before you can drive completely unencumbered. 

Having said that, drink driving here is a massive problem.

The standard may "technically" be the same, but in reality it's not, given the consistent difference in pass rates. An instructor told me that it's easier to pass in the country areas because the tester is much more likely to be generous in their marking. The rationale is apparently that you need to drive to be able to get to work or school in the country, whereas they feel you can just take the bus if you live in the Leinster area. This had never occurred to me, but it makes a lot of sense. Perhaps that is what you  mean by "human error" but it means 7/10 will pass in Ennis vs 4/10 in Churchtown.
    OP, in short: you may land on a nice tester in your centre, or you may land on a mini demiGod. So, don't take any chances. Have someone go with you to the test centre.

The argument you put forward here has nothing to do with the OP's question. The test starts when you enter the test centre and are called to begin. There is no way for anyone there to tell how you got there. You can argue mathematics and look at statistics all day long but it doesn't change anything. If what you are contesting was true, and it was something that was checked, surely they would insist on both driver and accompanying driver to enter the test centre, and ask the accompanying driver for their full unrestricted license? Just because there is someone in the passenger seat beside you does not mean they are qualified to accompany you.

To be clear, a learner driver must be accompanied at all times by a full license holder who has held their license for at least 2 years. But the question the OP asked was "Can I drive to the test centre on my own". And the answer is yes, it does not affect the testing process.

I've been modding this forum for a long time, and posting here for 10 years or so. Not once have I seen a first hand account of someone being "failed" for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

yes the answer is yes , even though it is illegal. A Gard might be interested but the test centre won't be (unless you make it so obvious they can't ignore it I suppose, even then I doubt they can fail you for it)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭atat23

The driving test checklist, page 3: http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Learner%20Drivers/finalchecks.pdf

They first state that if you don't meet the list of requirements, including the ones below the orange box in the doc, then the test may not be conducted, and the following point is directly below that box:
    Remember that, as a learner driver, you are required
    to be accompanied at all times while driving. This
    of course includes driving to the test centre for your
    driving test and also driving from the test centre
    following completion of your test, irrespective of
    the outcome of your test. Remember that, until
    you are in possession of a full licence, you must
    be accompanied

Based on this I am going to rent the instructor's car for my upcoming test.

I would just drive myself but on the off chance the instructor asks you and he knows you just came by yourself, he may just mark you extra hard to fail you on purpose, the human element in these tests means I'm going to do it by the book and give my self every chance I can of passing

I think once upon a time they actually tested for confidence rather than smoothness but it's since morphed into smoothness. I agree with you, occasionally lifting the clutch up slightly too quickly is not imperiling you as a driver but you seem to get brownie points for it.

Having said that, your taxi driver wouldn't pass a test if that's how he drove. I've noticed even myself getting lazy. I always indicate and check my windows but sometimes cut corners and go faster to break amber lights on junctions I know I'll be waiting ages in.

The ability to learn how to drive and even to just drive generally as a younger person is entirely down to your financial resources. Unless you have parents willing to fork out thousands of euro for insurance and lessons etc, it's just not doable. In the old days, a part time summer job would easily pay for a license, car and insurance throughout a school or college year if you were responsible and saved hard. It can't be done now. I'm currently living in Australia and I paid $3,000 for my car which would probably cost twice that at home. My insurance is $28 a month for third party and it's around $1 a litre at the moment for fuel if you get it on cheap days. The only thing that's more expensive car-for-car is my road tax at around $600 a year. The same car at home would be closer to 200 euro a year to tax. But Australian road tax actually covers your legal minimum insurance coverage which is third party personal, not third party property. My $28 a month isn't actually necessary, I just have it for peace of mind in case I crash into a $200,000 Mercedes.

In my case, it was not the clutch. I was failed for lack of being "smooth" on turns. However, the reason I was not smooth was that I would be zipping along in 4th gear at 50km and then he would suddenly tell me to make a sharp turn! Then he failed me for not being smooth enough. My instructor said that the rule in the test is that they are meant to give you enough time on a turn for MSM plus 10 seconds. He absolutely did not do that. I am beginning to think that there should be cameras in the car to protect people in situations like this. I have no way to prove how little time he gave me, and he doesn't care that I remain unemployed because I cannot start or get a job in my sector without a licence.

In my case, it's more to do with the fact that I am parentless (both died young) and my spouse does not drive. Getting a licence seems to be dependent on whether or not you have a driver you live with or see most days, really. It seems you need at least 10K if you want to get a decent car AND insure it on your own (5000-6000 for a good used car and 4000 insurance). That is insane. My friends who passed their tests in 2015 (before insurance got crazy) both had old bangers that only cost them 1000 to insure per year when they were learning!

I am familiar with the Aussie system, and think it far superior.

Advertisement