Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying for people to write college essay on adverts... illegal?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

SwD wrote: »
    I'm not sure it is.

Its not like the work has already been published.

If she can't manage a college assignment now, her true colors will shine when she finally gets into the workplace. What goes around...
    In fairness there are plenty of people in top jobs and positions around the world with dodgy degrees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Have never seen or heard of someone getting banned from fetac for 5 years because of plagerism. My own college just gives you a big fat zero.

Personally I think some of the issues re plagerism comes from how schools teach through rote learning. Students are given the info by their teachers and are then regurgitating it for exams or homework

Going to college and they have to do their own reading/research and unless they have a good grasp of citing/referencing then they struggle to put the info into their own words.

From my own college experience it is scary to see, in 3rd year, how many students get over 60% on Turnitin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

In fairness there are plenty of people in top jobs and positions around the world with dodgy degrees

In fairness education and real world sometimes contradict one another. In education students are taught to think inside the box - then in the working world asked to think outside the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Owryan wrote: »
    Personally I think some of the issues re plagerism comes from how schools teach through rote learning. Students are given the info by their teachers and are then regurgitating it for exams or homework

Going to college and they have to do their own reading/research and unless they have a good grasp of citing/referencing then they struggle to put the info into their own words.

Fully agree. And this is why, when dealing with suspected plagiarism cases, certainly at the first offence, it is an educational process - explaining why copy and pasting is not acceptable and why either paraphrasing (in itself, a minefield) or having an informed opinion is important. This opinion comes from reading other people's work, and citing them appropriately. It is a learning curve and that's why so many third level colleges put so much into teaching how to cite properly.
    From my own college experience it is scary to see, in 3rd year, how many students get over 60% on Turnitin.

60% on a 1000 word essay may be down to a template provided by the lecturer, I've seen this many times. 60% on a 5000 word essay, however, is a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭Sono

ad now withdrawn

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Fully agree. And this is why, when dealing with suspected plagiarism cases, certainly at the first offence, it is an educational process - explaining why copy and pasting is not acceptable and why either paraphrasing (in itself, a minefield) or having an informed opinion is important. This opinion comes from reading other people's work, and citing them appropriately. It is a learning curve and that's why so many third level colleges put so much into teaching how to cite properly.

60% on a 1000 word essay may be down to a template provided by the lecturer, I've seen this many times. 60% on a 5000 word essay, however, is a different story.

Problem is the essay writing/academic skills classes are probably the worst attended.

In 3rd year we were submitting 2,500 word essays. 60% would be common enough with some even getting scores over 75%.

Normally for an essay we are given the title and told to go do our thing. This is also something that younger students seem to struggle with.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

3 weeks to do 7000 words. Isnt that hard if youve been to the classes. On another note ive never paid for essays but have paid for transcribing service. Just never again so painfull.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Normally for an essay we are given the title and told to go do our thing. This is also something that younger students seem to struggle with.

It is, I fully agree. The very notion of developing an informed opinion on a topic, something that you cannot directly Google and get the answer to, is alien to a lot of people. In all fairness, though, it is a skill, dare I say an artform and not many people, particularly at undergraduate level, can do well.

I feel myself wandering off to rant about informed opinions and the rational progression of an argument on sites such as this very one, but I think that's a discussion for another day. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Plagiarism

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

begbysback wrote: »
    In fairness education and real world sometimes contradict one another. In education students are taught to think inside the box - then in the working world asked to think outside the box.

I totally disagree with that as a physicist and engineer, we learned how to problem solve, nothing to do with inside or outside the box thinking

• Advertisement
Advertisement