Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving offence codes before penalty points

• 30-07-2017 8:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

I've googled but can't find these...

My husband was convicted of offences 52 and 106 and banned for 18 months according to his licence in 2000. This was before penalty points were introduced in 2002 and likely is a drink driving conviction plus one other. I have to get the details of what the offences were, because he has never driven since then (I wouldn't let him...) although he was insured to drive in the UK. But as now I am off the road for an injury, I need to try to get him insured again in Ireland to drive my vehicle.

Does anyone happen to know what these two offences were please?

Thank you!

Imogen

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Does he not remember?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭imogen

He certainly remembers they were drink related. I need the actual title of the offence for the insurance quote...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Careless Driving, and Hit & Run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

52.—(1) A person shall not drive a vehicle in a public place without due care and attention, or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the place.

(2) A person who contravenes subsection (1) of this section shall be guilty of an offence.

AND

Duties on occurrence of accident.

106.—(1) Where injury is caused to person or property in a public place and a vehicle is involved in the occurrence of the injury (whether the use of the vehicle was or was not the cause of the injury), the following provisions shall have effect: .....

So he was done for crap driving, hitting something and fecking off by the sounds of it. 106 appears to include hit and runs on people but lets hope your husband isnt that kinda guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭imogen

Thanks you so much people! Here's hoping this will be enough info for an insurance decision. I think Ed E is accurate in his assessment... husband is just one of those men who unfortunately goes into "homing mode" when drink taken which is why I wouldn't allow him get back on the road until now. He has committed that he will not drive the car at all except with me as passenger to decide on his soberness if he is reinsured. He's also 17 years older and wiser...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭BaronVon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

imogen wrote: »
    Thanks you so much people! Here's hoping this will be enough info for an insurance decision. I think Ed E is accurate in his assessment... husband is just one of those men who unfortunately goes into "homing mode" when drink taken which is why I wouldn't allow him get back on the road until now. He has committed that he will not drive the car at all except with me as passenger to decide on his soberness if he is reinsured. He's also 17 years older and wiser...

Don't decide on his soberness, simply don't drink and drive. Ideally, given he's lost control of himself to the point of drinking and driving, don't drink at all. However 17 years later perhaps it was simply immaturity; a single whiff of even having a shandy and getting in the car seek proper help through AA* or similar.

*And I don't mean the Automobile Association.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Surely after 17 years you don't need to declare a motoring endorsement to the insurance company.

Conspectus wrote: »
    Surely after 17 years you don't need to declare a motoring endorsement to the insurance company.

For a hit and run? Surely that's one you have to declare for life?

Interestingly though - is it spent for the purposes of the new legislation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

For a hit and run? Surely that's one you have to declare for life?

Interestingly though - is it spent for the purposes of the new legislation.

The second part of your post has answered your question in the first part Sam!

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Is it only possible to 'spend' one conviction, the OP's husband has two.
    Neither of which are drink related. They might have been caused by drink.

Did he keep his driving license up to date?

GM228 wrote: »
    The second part of your post has answered your question in the first part Sam!

Thinkin' as I'm postin' - perhaps not the most efficient way :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Is it only possible to 'spend' one conviction

Not in the case of convictions under the RTA 1961 (and a few other sections of other Acts), there is no limit in that case (with the exception of a S53 offence which is the only offence under the RTA limited to 1).

Advertisement