Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoke alarm keeps going off please help

Options
  • 30-07-2017 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭

We have a smoke alarm that is hooked up to the ceiling and it keeps going off for no reason.
    There is no fire or smoke.
    Its been going off constantly I press the button and it goes off again everytime.
    It was doing it all last night and is still at it.
    I coudn't fet any sleep and have a headache.
    It's torture.
    I can't get the damn thing disconnected.
    I screwed off the top and its wired to the wall.
    Is there anyone I can call to help me?
    I'm in the midlands.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,869 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is it 100% a smoke alarm and not a carbon monoxide alarm?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Could it be dust?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭quinnd6

I took it out.
    I managed to get the white plug thing to disconnect from it and took the battery out.
    That was absolute hell.
    Those alarms should be easier to remove than that.
    That was flipping ridiculous.
    I feel like crap.
    What a nightmare that was.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Quackster wrote: »
    You can disconnect it from the wires (preferably with a screwdriver but snip them with a scissors if you have to); they're low voltage so no risk of electrocution.

Christ wept Do not do this!!!!!!!1

They are not low voltage if it's a relatively new house there will be 230v at connected to it and a battery as a secondary supply.

OP it's more than likely the battery is going in it. Replace the battery

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Quackster wrote: »
    You can disconnect it from the wires (preferably with a screwdriver but snip them with a scissors if you have to); they're low voltage so no risk of electrocution.

Christ wept Do not do this!!!!!!!1

They are not low voltage if it's a relatively new house there will be 230v at connected to it and a battery as a secondary supply.

OP it's more than likely the battery is going in it. Replace the battery
    Well, actually they are low voltage. They aren't extra-low voltage (apart from the signal cable for the interconnect). But if the smoke detectors aren't working correctly have them replaced by a competent person with the correct type - certainly don't remove them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Well, actually they are low voltage.

At least that will ensure the scissors advice might seem safe...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

quinnd6 wrote: »
    We have a smoke alarm that is hooked up to the ceiling and it keeps going off for no reason.
    There is no fire or smoke.
    Its been going off constantly I press the button and it goes off again everytime.
    It was doing it all last night and is still at it.
    I coudn't fet any sleep and have a headache.
    It's torture.
    I can't get the damn thing disconnected.
    I screwed off the top and its wired to the wall.
    Is there anyone I can call to help me?
    I'm in the midlands.

I had this problem -same as yourself -integrated into the electricity - took it off the lx supply & it kept beeping, took out the battery & it kept beeping - & didnt stop -ended up asking the local firebrigade who solved the mystery. The alarm work by battery or lx but the chemical in it that reacts to the smoke has a lifespan also - when this expires some (fancy) alarms keep beeping to warn you that the whole unit needs replacing. I bet if you check the expiry date on the alarm system (not the battery) you will see that it is past its date! My yoke beeped non stop for about three months - I hid it in the shed under a roll of rugs and from time to time I could hear it still beeping away aith no battery or mains connection. Drove me mental.

Bruthal wrote: »
    Was that one necessary?

No not really to be fair but there's always the few that this should apply to. Myself included on some threads but I generally avoid this forum as it can be full of pedantic pats.

No not really to be fair but there's always the few that this should apply to. Myself included on some threads but I generally avoid this forum as it can be full of pedantic pats.

The post you refer to was a bit pedantic alright. Correct phrases more important than clear information for non electrical persons it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Bruthal wrote: »

The post you refer to was a bit pedantic alright. Correct phrases more important than clear information for non electrical persons it seems.
    It wasn't pedantic - it was correct terminology which helps to alleviate confusion. I also offered further advice in my post.

• Advertisement

It wasn't pedantic - it was correct terminology which helps to alleviate confusion. I also offered further advice in my post.

It was entirely pedantic and not required. A lay person would assume low voltage and particularly when it is also mentioned that there is no risk of electric shock to be safe to handle.

We all know the correct terminology but as I said a lay person would have no reference to ELV and have more than likely never heard of the acronym.

On that note I'll be away again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

These always seem to have a short life. If it's going off it can be dust. Try hoovering it or just spend a tenner on a new one.

The ones in my house have a rectangular push and click plug connecting it to the mains.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭17larsson

Cut the cables with a scissors? That is some crazy advice!

Have a look at the end of life date on the back of the alarm. I've seen alarms (in new builds) which were manufactured 10 years ago and wouldn't stop going off until disconnected

It wasn't pedantic - it was correct terminology which helps to alleviate confusion.

Just in case someone thought the smoke detector was 10kv supplied was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭quinnd6

Just to be a bit more clear there was a connector that looked a bit like a molex connector colored white with wires coming out of it connected to the alarm and it was blocking off the battery opening.
    So anyway I turned off the electricity where the smoke alarm was located and fit my finger nail in between where the molex like plug was connected to the alarm and pulled on it and it came off.
    So I didn't do any damage to the connector or the wires.
    Then I got the battery out no problem.
    Its just a badly designed smoke alarm really not user friendly at all.
    They're probably not all like that.
    It kept ringing last night and even when I pressed the button it wouldn't stop so that was bloody torture.
    I was trying to remove the effing thing when it was ringing in my ear so my left ear has some very slight ringing in it today.
    So when I turned off the electricity it went back to reacting to my button presses and would shut off for about 5-10 minutes.
    I'm not sure if I want to use smoke alarms anymore to be honest after that.
    I'm glad it's over.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Mod note:
    @ iwillhtfu please post in a more courteous and respectful manner or don't post at all.

People should remember that this is a DIY forum. When it seems likely that another poster has little or no electrical experience answers to this person should be tailored accordingly.

Advertisement