Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seagulls in Longford Town in summer

Options
  • 30-07-2017 11:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

I've seen and heard seagulls in Longford Town in summer. This was a big surprise to me, seeing as the town is about as far from the sea as you can get on the island of Ireland.

For example, on the morning of July 25th this year, I heard seagulls on 3 separate occasions. I'm in no doubt about this, because the call is unmistakeable.

I'm not a birdwatcher or naturalist, but I expect that some people in this forum are. To them I say: are you surprised that there are seagulls so far inland?

According to the website of BirdWatch Ireland, the herring gull winters throughout Ireland, but stays near the coast the rest of the year. I'm not allowed to post URLs, but if you want to see this yourself, go to the website, find the page for the herring gull, and look at the map of Ireland.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

I've seen and heard seagulls in Longford Town in summer. This was a big surprise to me, seeing as the town is about as far from the sea as you can get on the island of Ireland.

For example, on the morning of July 25th this year, I heard seagulls on 3 separate occasions. I'm in no doubt about this, because the call is unmistakeable.

I'm not a birdwatcher or naturalist, but I expect that some people in this forum are. To them I say: are you surprised that there are seagulls so far inland?

According to the website of BirdWatch Ireland, the herring gull winters throughout Ireland, but stays near the coast the rest of the year. I'm not allowed to post URLs, but if you want to see this yourself, go to the website, find the page for the herring gull, and look at the map of Ireland.

Lesser black backed gulls breed on Lough Ree, there might be some herrings there too. A lot of our gull species breed on inland water bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Rosahane

I saw two Black Headed gulls on the Grand Canal in North Kildare yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Rosahane wrote: »
    I saw two Black Headed gulls on the Grand Canal in North Kildare yesterday!

Black-headed Gulls are common inland and breed on some of the lakes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 indeq

They're always about, when the farmers cut the fields sure they appear near straight away. I think they're just flying so high ya don't see them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

I grew up on a farm in the Midlands not far from Longford. Seagulls were a common sight especially when the farmer was tilling the land.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 VerdantValley

Eyepatch wrote: »
    Seagulls were a common sight

Thanks for that report.

Were herring gulls common?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

Thanks for that report.

Were herring gulls common?

Not sure what the Herring gulls look like. The ones I remember were mostly large whitish ones.

I've recently moved to a house in Kimmage, Dublin 12. I have a small garden at the back

I've started putting out food for the birds and frequently get seagulls visiiting. In fact flocks of them frequently land on my neighbour's flat roofed shed. They, the neighbours, put out crusts of bread for them, I think.

I love watching the seagull's movements and their antics. They strut around looking like ballerinas.

Advertisement