Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE article on Dynamic Currency Conversion

• 30-07-2017 11:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

This post has been deleted.

+1 also applies for internet mail order purchases. Always pay a vendor in the local currency.

Example: when purchasing from Amazon UK, at checkout time they will offer you a Euro amount as an alternative to the sterling total. If you make a note of the euro amount but pay in sterling, the euro number on your credit card statement will always be less than the euro number you were offered by Amazon. So if even Amazon cant beat or match the bank rate, nobody else will.

And it's especially important to remember that when checking into a hotel with a credit card, you must tell the clerk that you will be paying in their currency. Do this before they swipe your card or there may be a 'misunderstanding' at checkout time whereby they inform you that because they took a deposit in euros from your card when you checked in, the final bill has to be settled in euros. A hotel in London tried this on with me, fortunately I was with family so I told them to cancel the deposit and I paid the bill in sterling with my sister's credit card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Delta2113

I think he should have mentioned Revolut. It's like when the newspapers talk about current accounts they never mention EBS Money Manager Account.

They need to do more homework.

Advertisement