Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen Aid- are they worth the hype?

Options
  • 30-07-2017 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭

I have an absolutely ancient Kenwood Chef excel that I was given when a great aunt died. Now don't get me wrong I love it but it's cream and old and not the prettiest but still works a treat even though it is at least 30 years old. I kept saying I wouldn't buy a new one until that kicked the bucket but I've been given a voucher for Brown Thomas and instead of wasting it on make up or a handbag I've decided to put it towards a kitchen aid.

So I suppose I'm looking for advice from anyone who has one, are they worth it? I'm a pretty keen baker and am the family baker so I'm responsible for about 40 birthday cakes a year! So it will be used a fair bit.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I got mine over a year and a half ago and honestly I don't know how I ever baked without one. I love it.

I got a free ice cream maker with mine and didn't think I'd actually use it but I've got great use out of that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

No better or worse than a Kenwood just prettier! I have both, an ancient Kenwood that lives in the utility room and a pretty Kitchenaid that lives on the kitchen counter. Both will do the same job, even if it wasn't an issue of looks I would keep the kenwood in utility room where I do use it but I find the noise from it irritates me whereas the tone of the kitchenaid doesn't bother me for some reason.

I would definitely prefer it to a handbag :) It gives me pleasure to just look at it. Mind you if you are getting a glass bowl I find they break easily and you must mind them, they cost a lot to replace! I got two bowls with mine but if there was only an option of one I'd go for metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

I have mine about 9 months now and love it. It's as much a piece of furniture in the kitchen as it is practical. I can't get over how fast it mixes my cakes.....was doing it by hand before that. It's definitely an investment. I was lucky to have gotten it in the black Friday sale

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭bobboberson

Don't have a kitchen aid but do have a he kenwood version which is a kmix looks similar but not as pretty kmix is just 3-4 times a weeks sometime a lot more and we have had to for about 18 months. Have used both can see a huge difference.

Kmix can but bought a lot cheaper currently brown town have some old kmix on sale for around €250 I think kitchen aid are closer to €575

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Psychologeeee

I have a Kenwood Chef Premier and I think it's great. When deciding the whole Kitchen Aid v Kenwood battle, I was swayed by some reviews which pointed towards the Kitchen Aid having more nooks and crannies for ingredients to get stuck in.

I would suggest that you consider how to are going to store the mixer. I store my mixer in the press & find the Kenwood is a nice shape for storing. If it's going to be out on the counter, then the Kenwood looks a little more blocky and definitely doesn't have the design appeal. If you are storing it in view, then consider the Kitchen Aid, but bear in mind that if you're choosing a colour to co-ordinate with the rest of the kitchen, the Kitchen Aid might not match if you decide to redecorate!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I grew up using my Mom's Kenwood Chef, so when I was in the market, I went with a Kenwood Chef as I knew it inside out. I think most people fall into one camp or the other, but both probably do the job equally well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

I have kitchen aid for 15 years - 100% dependable. Well worth it. Can't see it ever needing replacement.
    Not hugely used - every couple of weeks or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭squonk

I have neither though i might inherit my mam’s 1980s Kenwood Chef at some point. It’s built like a tank and is a great machine. Kenwood all the way for me. I cant stand the look of KitchenAid machines.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I've a kenwood kmix, looks the part and does the job but I should have bought a chef as it's got more attachments.

Maybe w/ the BT voucher, you might like to buy attachments or something irrelevant to the working chef? A good coffee machine? Some Le Creuset gear?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I have a 34 year old Kenwood chef :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Tree wrote: »
    I've a kenwood kmix, looks the part and does the job but I should have bought a chef as it's got more attachments.

Maybe w/ the BT voucher, you might like to buy attachments or something irrelevant to the working chef? A good coffee machine? Some Le Creuset gear?
    I agree, why scrap something that's perfectly functional just because it looks a little dated? The BT kitchen department has lots of goodies to offer, just pay a visit and see what appeals. I know if I had a voucher it wouldn't last very long in there at all.

We too have a Kenwood mixer we got as a wedding present, which makes it 33 years old this year :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Delphinium

I have a kenwood chef which is more than fifty years old. Got it from an aunt who was a great baker and used it every day. It needed a new motor about 10 years ago and is still going strong. Couldn't afford a new one at the time and was sentimental about it.
    It lives in the utility room and if making sponge or dough it gets the closed door treatment while it works away.
    I would go on noise if buying new, and appearance if it was on display.
    Both brands have a good reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Psychologeeee

I forgot to mention, the GBBO switched from Kitchen Aid to Kmix last year! I see the Kmix is only 250 in BTs at the minute. You could get one plus a pile of nice Joseph Joseph kitchenware. I find the Joseph Joseph nesting bowls great for baking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I have a Kenwood Chef and its fantastic.

I know a few people with Kitchen Aids and they are great too, but they do exactly the same thing as the Kenwood. Apart from liking how it looks, I cant see any practical advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I forgot to mention, the GBBO switched from Kitchen Aid to Kmix last year!

I presume that just means that Kenwood paid them more for the product placement.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

For anyone interested, here's a deal for today only

http://www.ibood.com/ie/en/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=IE_template_0

"Kitchen Aid Artisan Professional Food Processor €400 (plus shipping)"

Disclaimer:- I know nothing about these things! Just happened to notice this thread when it was started, and got the email re the iBOOD offer this morning :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

This might help?
    https://www.prettywittycakes.co.uk/blog/kenwood-vs-kitchen-aid-which-one-best

On a personal level, I bought one a few years ago, the extra attachments made the difference for me as some of them are things I would use like mincing heads etc.
    Kenwood also have a larger range of high powered models which are the Chef Major with bigger bowls and additional attachments plus a medium speed output which can run food processors and other medium speed attachments.
    The one on Ibood which is finished now is the one that has a heating function I believe that can make all kinds of sauces that need gentle heat and stirring.
    edit: I made a mistake I was thinking of the Kenwood professional not kitchenaid.^^

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

i have an "andrew james" mixer for about 12 years now. It is well used making breads, cakes and pavlovas :) . its solid and reliable. Its fairly ugly but lives in a press. cost 120€. a good option imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

kitchen aids are great.

but so are other brands . I think they're only worth the extra money if you're going to leave it sitting out on the countertop all the time .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Mrs. BailMeOut bought one a few years ago and I was very skeptical but now my kids use it all the time who love baking. I myself was converted when we bought the meat grinder attachment so now use it to make sausage.

Advertisement