Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus 84 Access to Charlesland

• 30-07-2017 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi All,

Does anybody know if there will be access to the estate once the new Glenhoren development is completed, from the 84 bus stop located on Kilcoole Rd?

I appreciate the make shift path is now blocked while the development is being built.

If there is no access to the estate then the 84 bus sadly becomes of no use to most residents of Charlesland. The only regular bus would be the 184 then.

Thanks
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Not that I know of, best talk to DB.

184 and 84X are the current services to Charlesland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Woodenframe

7 of the Glenheron houses will be accessed via Charlesland (park??) on sitemap and planning app. If you look at sitemap, these houses will also have walking access to the rest of Glenheron estate so would seem Charlesland folk will still be able to have walking access via those 7 houses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

there will be pedestrian access from Charlesland to Glenheron and onto the Kilcoole Road, and also between Charlesland Park and the new estate beside the old barn (not sure if that's also called Glenheron, it's the same developers).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

In another month there will be quite a few schoolchildren at a loss as to how to get up to their bus to school, eg to CCA in Kilcoole.
    I appreciate its now a building site, with all the attendant health and safety issues, but IMO it was quite selfish and inconsiderate of the developer to cut off a habitual right of way. Especially when kids are involved, and the detour could be a couple of kilometres.
    Compare to say, the new houses down at the harbour, there was always a pedestrian access maintained through the site to the cliff walk. Even though the exact route changed a few times, it was always cordoned off, and safe to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Patofthericks

recedite wrote: »
    In another month there will be quite a few schoolchildren at a loss as to how to get up to their bus to school, eg to CCA in Kilcoole.
    I appreciate its now a building site, with all the attendant health and safety issues, but IMO it was quite selfish and inconsiderate of the developer to cut off off a habitual right of way.. Especially when kids are involved, and the detour could be a couple of kilometres.
    Compare to say, the new houses down at the harbour, there was always a pedestrian access maintained through the site to the cliff walk. Even though the exact route changed a few times, it was always cordoned off, and safe to use.
    Comparing access along side the houses in the harbour to gain access to the Bray head and a walk through a derelict site is like comparing chalk and cheese. 
    One has been in existence for decades and the other merely a short cut, that's sole creation was down to the developer biding there time before building and people taking advantage of it.
    You mention selfish, speaking as someone who has just bought it this new development I find it quite selfish of you to assume that you can use a private estate as a walkway.
    Rights of way have to be granted either verbally or in righting, generally speaking for it to be considered a "habitual right of way" its has to have been in existence for greater than 20 years. 
    That said I can understand the frustrations as it happened to me when I was in secondary school, they blocked of the short cut from Beachdale in Kilcoole through were Centra is now. Still doesn't give you the right to assume you can walk to private land once the owners have taken the decision to cordon off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 alexnapier101

This is good news, I checked out the planning maps and can see what previous posters have mentioned about access.

I suppose it makes sense to allow access from Glenhoren to Charlesland as I am sure resident of Glenhoren will use the retail facilities within Charlesnad.

...as I am sure resident of Glenhoren will use the retail facilities within Charlesnad.
    What? And use a private estate as a walkway? The cheek of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

recedite wrote: »
    What? And use a private estate as a walkway? The cheek of them.

Hmmm. You mean if glenheron think its selfish for charlesland to want bus access buses then dont give glenheron access to shops? ;-)

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I'm only joking, but yeah, life is full of "give and take", although some people only see the "take" side of it.
    The whole notion of "a private estate" might be technically true, but we are not exactly talking about "gated communities" here.

Advertisement