Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Park and Ride to Aviva Stadium

Options
  • 30-07-2017 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi folks
    I will be travelling to the Aviva stadium this Saturday from County Down. As I will be travelling with two children I will need to drive most of the way. Do you recommend any Park and Ride station I could drive to and get a train? After reading up a little on this some people mention Malahide although it appears that this car park gets full relatively quickly in the morning? Would Booterstown Park and Ride be a safer bet? 
    Any advice appreciated.
    Cheers Pat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,628 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Malahide may not have the capacity, it can sometimes be busy at weekends with people leaving their cars there and going to the local pubs. Portmarnock DART station is the next stop after Malahide is about a 10 minute drive from Malahide, that would 100% have spaces on Saturday. The train journey to Lansdowne Road station would be about 40 minutes.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.4182059,-6.1502249,3a,75y,225.48h,88.9t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sAw4c4UAcsj4H4Nwz2nce1A!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DAw4c4UAcsj4H4Nwz2nce1A%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D273.57816%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Hi folks
    I will be travelling to the Aviva stadium this Saturday from County Down. As I will be travelling with two children I will need to drive most of the way. Do you recommend any Park and Ride station I could drive to and get a train? After reading up a little on this some people mention Malahide although it appears that this car park gets full relatively quickly in the morning? Would Booterstown Park and Ride be a safer bet? 
    Any advice appreciated.
    Cheers Pat

Drive be into town via the port tunnel and park in the Gibson/Point and then walk across the toll bridge - maybe 15 mins to the station. Certainly likely to be a lot quicker getting away after the game than queueing up for the Dart.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,412 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If travelling with children, you could get a train from Newry to Connolly and change to the DART - all on one ticket (make sure you specify Lansdowne Road, but compare fares). Family tickets likely available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Go through the port tunnel, over the East Link, then park for free in Irishtown/Ringsend. 15 minute walk to the stadium, and very handy for getting back on the M1. Will cost an additional €4.75 each way in toll charges.

Very popular choice for fans from NI coming down for the rugby, so should suit yourself.

G'wan the Pool!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Patienceman

Some great suggestions there folks, will look at these and no doubt have some further questions :-)

Thankanew!
    Pat

• Advertisement

@Rumpy Pumpy
    Anywhere in particular you recommend in the IrishTown/Ringsend area? Or is it just a case of get there and get what you can :-)
    Thanks again  
    cheers
    Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

@Rumpy Pumpy
    Anywhere in particular you recommend in the IrishTown/Ringsend area? Or is it just a case of get there and get what you can :-)
    Thanks again  
    cheers
    Pat

I can suggest not parking anywhere you are going to block residents from moving while you are at the match. Also, stay away from Sean Moore road as the clampers have decided to make parking there illegal on match days and will clamp. There is paid parking in the Clanna Gael GAA club car park, they'll charge you a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CPSW

Its 9 quid to park in Connolly station for the day, handy for either getting the Dart or you could walk over to the Aviva from there wouldn't take you too long, about 30 mins or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭PraxisPete

Id be careful parking around Ringsend. The clampers have been having a field day the last couple of weeks clamping everyone not parked 5 meters from corners, which is half the parking gone and people parking on grass.

I assume these "clamping areas" have signs put up during match time that indicates that there are restrictions in place?

cheers
    P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭PraxisPete

No, and nothing is lined either. It's a bit of a Wild West for parking where a clamper has never been seen up until recently. People aren't happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I assume these "clamping areas" have signs put up during match time that indicates that there are restrictions in place?

cheers
    P

Not a hope; you'd be crazy to try and park in Ringsend/Irishtiwn on a match day without knowing the streets well. Limited signage, rare to have streets marked, lots of cones put out by residents marking "their" space etc. Don't cross the Liffey in your car unless you desperately need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,720 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

OP Could you not use the train from Newry, Dundalk or Drogheda?

I don't see why you have to drive all the way as per your original post?

The DART will take you onwards to/from Lansdowne Road from Connolly or Pearse. You can get a through ticket at the station.

Northern line timetable is here:
    http://www.irishrail.ie/media/15_dublin-dundalk.pdf

Enterprise timetable is here:
    http://www.irishrail.ie/media/dublin-belfast_27032017_.pdf

Ixflyer 
    Thanks for the info
    I am travelling with children and there are 5 of us so its easier and more economical to use a car ( a train ticket costs £25 per head return ) and thats without DART and parking and ride costs.
    I see some posts were people have used Clanna Gael GAA car park so I may give them a buzz to find out what time they open at.
    Thanks again.
    Pat

Ixflyer
    Thanks for the info
    I am travelling with children and there are 5 of us so its easier and more economical to use a car ( a train ticket costs £25 per head return ) and thats without DART and parking and ride costs.
    I see some posts were people have used Clanna Gael GAA car park so I may give them a buzz to find out what time they open at.
    Thanks again.
    Pat

I'm not sure where you're getting that fare from?

A Family ticket is available covering 2 adults and up to 4 children to Connolly, Tara St & Pearse - they may well be able to quote a figure to Lansdowne Road Station.

Fares from Dundalk:
    Family Day Return - €41.50
    Adult Day Return - €19.15

Fares from Drogheda:
    Family Day Return - €31.50
    Adult Day Return - €14.60

LXFlyer

Those fares quoted above are available on the day at the station.

Advertisement