Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fashion Challenged 28[F], please help

• 30-07-2017 6:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭

Long story short; I am fashion challenged. There. I said it. But I want to get better. I always wanted to be the kind of gal who had cute outfits ready to go, something different for every occasion. I have always been a jeans/yoga pants and a t-shirt kind.
    I am on my way to my goal weight, I have lost alot since I started (153lb to currently about 125lbs) in December. I haven't replaced clothes really since then as I just don't have money, out of work since March. So, all the pity party done with, I have gotten a new job and my first pay check should be the end of August.

I want to completely strip my wardrobe. I want to look chic in my choices, effortless. But I need help. I've read through alot here and in other places, but am hoping to get some help, some pointers or suggestions on key pieces.

I can provide some details that might help:
    Height: 5ft 2
    Weight: 125lbs
    Hair Colour: Dark brown
    Hair Cut: Short, pixie cut
    Top size: S, 8-10 UK
    Bottom: S, 8-10 UK
    Bra: 32gg (this is what kills me as it makes me top heavy)
    The best visual I have is this.

Edit: I would also like some blog/insta/twitter/pintrest/whatever inspo, so if anyone had that too I'd appreciate it!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I always struggle with this, im always seeing other women dressed really well with lovely clothes. When ever I go shopping I can never find anything decent and when I think I do I bring it home and realise I dont like it.

It depends on what sort of style youre into. River island generally have smart clothes. Is there a celebrity whose style youre into? maybe you could start from there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭MommySquish

I always struggle with this, im always seeing other women dressed really well with lovely clothes. When ever I go shopping I can never find anything decent and when I think I do I bring it home and realise I dont like it.

It depends on what sort of style youre into. River island generally have smart clothes. Is there a celebrity whose style youre into? maybe you could start from there?

I spent a lot of time researching last night. And the best I can come up with is a kind of boho/masculine/casual chic. As in, I like over sized blazers and the like with jeans and boots (higher than ankle but lower than calf).

Its just very hard to go looking when you don't know what you like. River island is one if the places I like most, but on illness benefit, it was waaaaay out of my budget.

Thank you! You ate the most helpful person I've come across and I've asked this question in no less than 5 other places.

It literally just dawned on me. I am such a slob. I also love how other women look 'effortlessly' put together and chic. Why can't I? Its not that I'm not confident, I honestly am. I couldn't give to sh*ites what people think, but damn if there isn't a part of me that also wants to turn heads.

I don't have many friends (and am OK with it really) but at the same time, I did mention to a (male) friend. He said and was totally right, what I'm looking for is affordable, doable, not out there fashion to wear and follow. Why is it so hard?

I forgot to add, Ruby Rose. My hair is similar. I'm not as pretty or tattoo'd but that's what I like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Most women find shopping difficult especially on a budget! My advice is work on one outfit at a time, one for a specific occasion/ event.
    For example a summer dress for a BBQ or informal Christening, a blouse/ Blazer jeans look for the pub/night out.

Invest in some items (e.g. well fitting jeans/ practical shoes) and you can go very budget on more throw away items - summer dresses, blouses etc. Sales are a great time to pick up clothes, especially in Ireland when the weather isn't that changeable! Online shopping can be great if the company has a good returns policy (ASOS for example!)

GingerLily wrote: »
    Most women find shopping difficult especially on a budget! My advice is work on one outfit at a time, one for a specific occasion/ event.
    For example a summer dress for a BBQ or informal Christening, a blouse/ Blazer jeans look for the pub/night out.

Invest in some items (e.g. well fitting jeans/ practical shoes) and you can go very budget on more throw away items - summer dresses, blouses etc. Sales are a great time to pick up clothes, especially in Ireland when the weather isn't that changeable! Online shopping can be great if the company has a good returns policy (ASOS for example!)

That sounds like really good advice. Thank you. Its so obvious I didn't think about it ya know? I was more in the mind set of 'staple' pieces. As that's all anyone seems to mention.

I have an awesome blazer I'm in love with, so figured it was a start. But I might try your advice first. I've never shopped on ASOS, so I might browse a bit when I get a chance after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

That sounds like really good advice. Thank you. Its so obvious I didn't think about it ya know? I was more in the mind set of 'staple' pieces. As that's all anyone seems to mention.

I have an awesome blazer I'm in love with, so figured it was a start. But I might try your advice first. I've never shopped on ASOS, so I might browse a bit when I get a chance after.

I would also avoid buying pieces on their own that you don't know how to style with your current wardrobe.
    That way you don't end up with a wardrobe full of items that you can't style together that you've spent a fortune on.

GingerLily wrote: »

I would also avoid buying pieces on their own that you don't know how to style with your current wardrobe.
    That way you don't end up with a wardrobe full of items that you can't style together that you've spent a fortune on.

Also a very good idea. I just feel .... Frumpy and boring. Either swinging between jeans and a T-shirt and converse or sports wear (yoga pants, t-shirts).

I'm trying to define my wardrobe. Have work out, going out, lounging, work (new job is work from home, but I would like to at least have clothes to put me in the mind frame), etc. At the moment I don't and things bleed into one another.

I'm taking that on board too though. Everything is helpful.

Yeah I know what you mean, their prices are kinda crazy. I was in pennys today and they have really nice tops, bags, shoes and jackets. I stopped shopping there when I started working because my entire wardrobe was pennys gear and I wanted to mix it up a bit lol but recently started shopping there again and honestly I never should have stopped, their clothes are just as nice and just as good quality as anywhere else, they have some really nice smart/casual tops, shirts and coats so id definitely suggest giving there a try.
    Pull and bear can be good too and as mentioned by GingerLily Asos have great stuff and very reasonably priced.
    Shaws and Marks and Spencers can be good too also Dorothy Perkins have great sales.

Yeah I know what you mean, their prices are kinda crazy. I was in pennys today and they have really nice tops, bags, shoes and jackets. I stopped shopping there when I started working because my entire wardrobe was pennys gear and I wanted to mix it up a bit lol but recently started shopping there again and honestly I never should have stopped, their clothes are just as nice and just as good quality as anywhere else, they have some really nice smart/casual tops, shirts and coats so id definitely suggest giving there a try.
    Pull and bear can be good too and as mentioned by GingerLily Asos have great stuff and very reasonably priced.
    Shaws and Marks and Spencers can be good too also Dorothy Perkins have great sales.

I am usually a Penneys type of gal, I think their stuff can be hit and miss, but definitely feel like a seasoned professional at this stage at whats what, though I can be impartial to an impulse buy now and again....

I used to LOVE Pull&Bear, I thought they left Ireland though? I am in Waterford right now, so there is a Shaw's but no M&S (it makes me so sad). I do travel to Cork every 6 weeks or so, hoping to be sooner, so I will have access to M&S there and other places. I like Bershka and Stradivarius (sp?).

I usually don't spend too much on clothes, but am willing to up my game. I wouldn't mind spending more on the right piece that will pull through season after season and last (I don't do lbd's but something along those lines anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

If you can try and see a personal stylist. Many department stores have them and with most you do not have to buy anything. They will help you identify shapes, cuts and colours that will suit you. Once you know this you will be able to pick up things in other shops that suit your budget. Consider being a model in a hairdressing school and you could get a stylist cut for little cost.

• Advertisement

Miaireland wrote: »
    If you can try and see a personal stylist. Many department stores have them and with most you do not have to buy anything. They will help you identify shapes, cuts and colours that will suit you. Once you know this you will be able to pick up things in other shops that suit your budget. Consider being a model in a hairdressing school and you could get a stylist cut for little cost.

Already done, lucky me (not) worked in a high-end salon for 18 months. I know the cut that suits me (think this: http://imgur.com/a/mGWte )and the colour down to the brand and number, so my hair is not getting better, lol! On the bright side, it's in good condition as it hasn't seen a non-salon product in almost 3 years now.

The personal stylist is a good tip that I never thought of! Thank you!

I am usually a Penneys type of gal, I think their stuff can be hit and miss, but definitely feel like a seasoned professional at this stage at whats what, though I can be impartial to an impulse buy now and again....

I used to LOVE Pull&Bear, I thought they left Ireland though? I am in Waterford right now, so there is a Shaw's but no M&S (it makes me so sad). I do travel to Cork every 6 weeks or so, hoping to be sooner, so I will have access to M&S there and other places. I like Bershka and Stradivarius (sp?).

I usually don't spend too much on clothes, but am willing to up my game. I wouldn't mind spending more on the right piece that will pull through season after season and last (I don't do lbd's but something along those lines anyway!

I think Pull and Bear is still in Dublin, I was up not long ago and bought loads of tops for work. Dublins quite far though, it's not worth the trip.

Sorry I couldnt have been more help. Hope you find something nice :)

I think Pull and Bear is still in Dublin, I was up not long ago and bought loads of tops for work. Dublins quite far though, it's not worth the trip.

Sorry I couldnt have been more help. Hope you find something nice :)

Jesus not at all! You've been very helpful, thank you! I honestly just got so overwhelmed and couldn't sort through everything myself. It's nice and all seeing bloggers showing off fashion and nice outfits, but let's be realistic, we can't all just go and drop €200+ on a pair of jeans or jumper. It is not realistic. It's easy to say 'don't buy crap/wardrobe fillers' (aka penneys and the like) but it's very hard to not, when you're looking for say.... a plain white tee or the like. I do definitely think there is a healthy mix between Penneys and say, BT.

Jesus not at all! You've been very helpful, thank you! I honestly just got so overwhelmed and couldn't sort through everything myself. It's nice and all seeing bloggers showing off fashion and nice outfits, but let's be realistic, we can't all just go and drop €200+ on a pair of jeans or jumper. It is not realistic. It's easy to say 'don't buy crap/wardrobe fillers' (aka penneys and the like) but it's very hard to not, when you're looking for say.... a plain white tee or the like. I do definitely think there is a healthy mix between Penneys and say, BT.

I know, I dont think I know anyone that spends 200 euro on jeans or jumpers, well for them if they do lol.
    You dont need to spend loads, as I said pennys is just as good quality as anywhere else. I bought a 30 euro jumper from gap thinking it would be good long lasting quality, it was in bits after 3 wears and has to be washed by hand so the material doesn't fall apart yet ive 5 year old tops from pennys that I still get wear out of. I wouldnt be worrying about the brand or how cheap they are, ive really realised that high price doesnt necessarily mean high quality.
    Try New Look and Topshop theyre great for jeans and always have nice tops.

I know, I dont think I know anyone that spends 200 euro on jeans or jumpers, well for them if they do lol.
    You dont need to spend loads, as I said pennys is just as good quality as anywhere else. I bought a 30 euro jumper from gap thinking it would be good long lasting quality, it was in bits after 3 wears and has to be washed by hand so the material doesn't fall apart yet ive 5 year old tops from pennys that I still get wear out of. I wouldnt be worrying about the brand or how cheap they are, ive really realised that high price doesnt necessarily mean high quality.
    Try New Look and Topshop theyre great for jeans and always have nice tops.

I honestly never have tried either, but will be doing so, I am a little weary of buying online for brands I haven't shopped before (hassle of returning if I don't like/wrong size/etc) but once I have one or two pieces from either I will be flying it. H&M is a favourite for most things (except bras, I have to order online for them really :( )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

also, if you find things you like or try them on, you can keep an eye on adverts.ie for similar things at a fraction of the price, once you know the brand/sizes or style that fit.

Next have become quite reasonable price wise

also, if you find things you like or try them on, you can keep an eye on adverts.ie for similar things at a fraction of the price, once you know the brand/sizes or style that fit.

Next have become quite reasonable price wise

.... I avoid them like the plague, to be honest. They rejected my application for an entry level 8-hour contract for a stock assistant (believe me, I have experience) as .... 'unqualified'. I refuse out of principle now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I'm a fashion consultant in the UK so you can trust me op but we'll really need to see pictures to help

Face
    Bust size
    Hair
    Hips with underware
    Hips without underware
    Pictures of feet

Then I can give fashion advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

.... I avoid them like the plague, to be honest. They rejected my application for an entry level 8-hour contract for a stock assistant (believe me, I have experience) as .... 'unqualified'. I refuse out of principle now.

Ah, understandable!

You can pick up some lovely things in Penneys. You've been given good advice here already. And you sound like you have a figure to be envious of! I certainly am! So you're probably one of those people that MANY things look good on! :)

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I'm a fashion consultant in the UK so you can trust me op but we'll really need to see pictures to help

Face
    Bust size
    Hair
    Hips with underware
    Hips without underware
    Pictures of feet

All of these measurements are provided in my original post, you must be smoking something if you think I'm sending a stranger pictures of:

Face
    Bust size
    Hips with underware
    Hips without underware
    Pictures of feet

:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Face
    Bust size
    Hair
    Hips with underware
    Hips without underware
    Pictures of feet

Is that right? Two days ago this was your job-
    I earn 3300 euro a month teaching in China. Rent paid and bills are minimum.

I'd also think a fashion consultant would know how to spell underwear tbh.

Ah, understandable!

You can pick up some lovely things in Penneys. You've been given good advice here already. And you sound like you have a figure to be envious of! I certainly am! So you're probably one of those people that MANY things look good on! :)

I really have and I am super grateful. I need to up my makeup game but that's just practice at this stage. :)

You know, I always think everyone else looks better than me (as everyone else does too), but then I see photos and I'm 50/50 some look amazing, some don't. I always think that we are our own worst enemy.

Classic example: Looking in a mirror, I generally like how I look. If I just look down, nah forget it. I look fat/wonky/whatever. Perception is weird huh?

Is that right? Two days ago this was your job-

I'd also think a fashion consultant would know how to spell underwear tbh.

The 'underware' got me too, I'm kinda skeeved and feel sorry for the poor person that *would* send these things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@Oranage2 - please take your trolling elsewhere

dudara

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Let's steer this back on topic please.

Thread moved to Fashion forum.

Please don't post in the thread unless you have some useful advice for OP on the topic at hand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Hi OP, well done on the weight loss!
    What's your style, what are your interests? Are there any celebrities out there who's style you like? Not too many of us here can afford to drop €200 on a pair of jeans or a top but we can look to our favourite celebs for style inspiration and try to replicate same with high street clothes.

If you're not sure of your style, go into Pinterest or Instagram and "like" the photos of looks and outfits you like. After a while you'll start to see a pattern developing of what style you gravitate towards. Then you can use these pics to figure out the main items you need in your wardrobe and get inspiration on how to style them.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Hi OP, well done on the weight loss!
    What's your style, what are your interests? Are there any celebrities out there who's style you like? Not too many of us here can afford to drop €200 on a pair of jeans or a top but we can look to our favourite celebs for style inspiration and try to replicate same with high street clothes.

If you're not sure of your style, go into Pinterest or Instagram and "like" the photos of looks and outfits you like. After a while, you'll start to see a pattern developing of what style you gravitate towards. Then you can use these pics to figure out the main items you need in your wardrobe and get inspiration on how to style them.

Absolutely! I think I mentioned Ruby Rose, while I'm not as tall or lithe as her (also have a Cork accent, I'm screwed XD ) I think my style (that I want and is also achievable) is similar enough. Think casual chic with slight masculine tones. A lot of jeans and a tee with a dressy cardigan/jumper/blazer nice shoes. It at least seems possible while not putting me in an awkward 'I can't believe I'm wearing this' position. I love the idea of over sized jumpers/cardigans etc over fitted jeans and tees. It just looks classy.

I also need to build my accessories and actually *wear* them.

I detest showing cleavage. I don't know why, it's just a hang up I have I guess. Not like I don't have it. (Side note, I am looking for a reduction and saving asap as I have always hated them and find them too big/cumbersome/unmanageable/hard to shop for, but 5k is a lot and this is the first time 3-4 years it's possible to even save to *think* about it).

Thank you so much for your kind words, I am so excited I can't actually get it across. Not to be a 'woe is me' thread, but I'm 28, my kid is 10, I finally feel like I can be what I want (ie, have the time, money, means) and look how I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭painauchocolat

Hi, fair play for being so proactive about this! I'm fairly hopeless myself with clothes, but a couple of things occur to me.

You mentioned that you like masculine style and Ruby Rose, but you also mentioned that you are quite top heavy. The reason Ruby Rose's style works for her is due to her very gamine (boyish) figure. It's incredibly hard to look well in shirts, jackets and mannish tailoring generally if you are well-endowed up top. (I've had to give up on tailored shirts as they always gape). It might be an idea to look around for celebrities closer to your body type, then examine what outfits you like on them? Maybe the actress who plays Bernadette in Big Bang Theory (her own clothes, not the outfits from the show!)

Others mentioned the idea of using the personal shopper service in the bigger stores. If the potential cost of then shopping in those stores puts you off, would it be worth considering hiring an independent stylist, and asking him/her to take you to Penney's and some other budget shops? There would obviously be a charge for the stylist's time, but they'd be able to help you determine your most flattering looks and source them in shops you can afford and can revisit.

Very best of luck,

painauchocolat

• Advertisement

Hi, fair play for being so proactive about this! I'm fairly hopeless myself with clothes, but a couple of things occur to me.

You mentioned that you like masculine style and Ruby Rose, but you also mentioned that you are quite top heavy. The reason Ruby Rose's style works for her is due to her very gamine (boyish) figure. It's incredibly hard to look well in shirts, jackets and mannish tailoring generally if you are well-endowed up top. (I've had to give up on tailored shirts as they always gape). It might be an idea to look around for celebrities closer to your body type, then examine what outfits you like on them? Maybe the actress who plays Bernadette in Big Bang Theory (her own clothes, not the outfits from the show!)

Others mentioned the idea of using the personal shopper service in the bigger stores. If the potential cost of then shopping in those stores puts you off, would it be worth considering hiring an independent stylist, and asking him/her to take you to Penney's and some other budget shops? There would obviously be a charge for the stylist's time, but they'd be able to help you determine your most flattering looks and source them in shops you can afford and can revisit.

Very best of luck,

painauchocolat

That's a great idea! I have looked at her and her style doesn't suit me, the same way I know knitted jumpers don't (as they end up forming a tent from my bust to my waist and make it looks very heavy imo).

I will most likely go with a personal shopper or hire a style consultant, but there are definitely things I do want, know look good on me.

Funnily enough, I have dresses down pat high necks and cinched waists make me look fahbulous and I have a couple of expensive pieces that look great. I had to have them tailored for me though as I am short and other wise the knee length dress goes to my mid-calf/ankle. So I don't have to worry too much about things like that, a good tailor is worth their weight in gold to me.

I honestly can't wait, thank you so much for your input. I am looking forward to twice a week blow-drys again. Lord.

Mindy Kaling is a good one to look at, and she also swears by her tailor! She small and slim with a big bust https://www.instagram.com/mindykaling/ She would wear a lot of shirt and shift dresses, that could be really cute with flat loafers if you needed a smart shoe for work. Reese Witherspoon is also worth a look, she has girly style but the shapes she wears are very good for her small frame.

I am lucky that I can wear casual clothes to work, but if I'm meeting a client and want to look slick I go for a pair of trousers, a boyfriend shirt and some loafers, I like that androgynous style too - something like these trousers, shirt, and shoes.

A v-neck is ideal for anyone with big boobs, it doesn't need to be deep by any means but in general it's just a very flattering shape. I am a FF in size but with boyfriend style shirts I can definitely get away with them, blouses never!

I definitely agree with whoever said that when you're shopping think in terms of outfits/occasions, rather than individual pieces.

Twee. wrote: »
    Mindy Kaling is a good one to look at, and she also swears by her tailor! She small and slim with a big bust https://www.instagram.com/mindykaling/ She would wear a lot of shirt and shift dresses, that could be really cute with flat loafers if you needed a smart shoe for work. Reese Witherspoon is also worth a look, she has girly style but the shapes she wears are very good for her small frame.

I am lucky that I can wear casual clothes to work, but if I'm meeting a client and want to look slick I go for a pair of trousers, a boyfriend shirt and some loafers, I like that androgynous style too - something like these trousers, shirt, and shoes.

A v-neck is ideal for anyone with big boobs, it doesn't need to be deep by any means but in general it's just a very flattering shape. I am a FF in size but with boyfriend style shirts I can definitely get away with them, blouses never!

I definitely agree with whoever said that when you're shopping think in terms of outfits/occasions, rather than individual pieces.

This is what I meant but didn't have the words! Thank you! Am looking at them now. My style just isn't girly in the slightest. Skirts and dresses are just not something I feel comfortable in.

My mother and grandmother have the same proportions, though they have filled out the rest of their figure at this point. And dieting has made no difference to my bust (either cup or band size) despite losing 30lbs. It is what it is I guess. Surgery here I come! XD

Advertisement