Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a car in France - Child Seats

Options
  • 30-07-2017 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All

Will be renting a car in France later this year for a family holiday, we have 2 kids so need to rent an infant seat (under 13 kg) and a child seat (under 25 kg). The question I have is in relation to the child seat, does anyone know if these are rear facing or front facing. Our two year old is used to front facing seats here at home so will be a factor in our decision to bring his own seat or rent one.

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I'd imagine you'd be much better bringing your own seats. Have hired once before and the seats weren't great, and also have had them in taxi transfers where they were terrible but didn't have much option but to use them at that stage.

As far as I know most, if not all, airlines allow you check in a car seat for free with children's bookings. So while you might have the hassle of getting to the check in desk you don't need to carry them all the way to the plane.
    They're quite expensive to hire from car hire companies too usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I have hired in France twice with europcar and both times the seat was forward facing. We had no issues with it, it seemed good quality and was secure when fitted. They include a disposable cover too for hygiene. I think the first year we paid about €50 for two weeks. They didn't charge us at all the second year! I will be going to France again in November with a 3 year old and 4 month old, I will bring the maxi cosi for the baby, purely because they are light and easy to carry. But I will rent for the older child. Her car seat weighs a ton and would be very cumbersome to bring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

You can bring your own car seats for free. They are deemed as baby items.

We stuck three booster seats in a bin bag and they were checked in for free with Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I wouldn't hire seats. The price is extortionate with a lot of companies. I hired a seat once- booked the particular group seat I wanted. When I got there I was directed to a filthy pile of seats in the corner on the floor and told to choose what I wanted. No instruction or assistance with fitting it.
    I got the impression that if there was no appropriate seat I'd have to make do with something that was there.
    I'd bubble wrap your own and bring them with you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Just back from two weeks in Europe and brought our own.Aer Lingus allow them to check in free.Mostly brought our own after being told a couple of years ago (by a car rental company) that rental companies will rent them to you but can't always guarantee there will be one available when you get there!!!!We didn't want to take them chance.It's a nuisance but you can buy carry bags for car seats on Amazon for relatively cheap, so we did that, and it's worked fine (Also....the car seat and carry bag often have extra space into which you can pack any excess clothes etc if you are over the limit...) :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I always bring my own seats. I buy a big clear bag from hardware store so I can see my seat when it comes out!!
    I fly with ryanair and they are free!
    Just be warned......they snapped some of the foam last time on me so always check under the cover after you pick it up. I never checked till later. It cost me E40 to replace :(

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭clacks

In France a few weeks back. Rented a car from Hertz. For the 18 month old it was front facing. No idea what weight catergoey that is!

Advertisement