Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tall pants to provide garden screen

Options
  • 30-07-2017 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Can someone give advice on plants to buy for a block built raised bed at end of garden. The plants should be min 6ft tall above ground?

The bed depth is 600mm, height 350mm, and we have about 3 - 3.5 m width to fill.

We have tall bamboo in another area so want something different.

Was at a garden shop today and it seemed any plant that would be big enough (example - fir conifer, bay tree, portuguese laurel) would have roots too big for the bed, that looked so strong they may even break the block work down in time...

So..I need something tall, and suitable for planting with 600mm root space, and roots that wouldn't be too aggressive.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

great thread title.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,440 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Would it be possible to put in some support wires (ie is there a wall behind the bed) and grow some climbers. This would be the most satisfactory solution. Solanum Crispum or Alba, climbing roses, clematis - montana if you want something vigorous, or many others including evergreens. Also lots of evergreen climbers, with and without flowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭patg

great thread title.

Why, thank you. So glad you like it.

looksee wrote: »
    Would it be possible to put in some support wires (ie is there a wall behind the bed) and grow some climbers. This would be the most satisfactory solution. Solanum Crispum or Alba, climbing roses, clematis - montana if you want something vigorous, or many others including evergreens. Also lots of evergreen climbers, with and without flowers.

Thank you very much. Plenty for me to look into there.
    Ideally I'd like something free standing but will look into putting in place some wires or structure to grow climbers off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Patg - could I ask what bamboo you have, I'm planning on using that for a similar project.

• Advertisement

Patg - could I ask what bamboo you have, I'm planning on using that for a similar project.

Hey Samuel

The tag says Phyllostachys Aurea

Think it was the standard one on sale in the shop, may grow up to 3m.

Have been reading other opinions that it may be troublesome in future (within 3-5 yes) with roots spreading underground - past the raised beds and ruining the lawn, so unless you are well versed yourself make sure to check out some advice on where and how you'll plant and what you want it to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

The Phyllostachys aurea is a beautiful bamboo.
    I have 3 clumps of Phyllostachys bissetii for almost 20 years and no signs of them running or spreading, the 3 "clumps" are still very visible.
    They are least likely to run in dryer ground.
    Nice bit of info here: https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=79

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

Spanks maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Thanks both! Sorry for the hijack.

Advertisement