Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to keep room while travelling

Options
  • 30-07-2017 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

I am currently renting an en-suite room in a area of south Co. Dublin for less than 600e a month. Which I think is good value in current market conditions.

However I am currently debating about quitting my job to do a few months of travelling before coming back to find a new job in Dublin. I'm in IT and have a good few years behind me so I should pick something up pretty quickly.

I'd like to keep my current place and while I have enough savings to pay for it while I'm away it just seems like madness to be paying a lot of money for something I won't be using especially seeing that I won't have money coming in and in the event that I find it hard to pick a job on my return.

I also don't know how long I would be away for, it could be as short of 2 months (if things go horrible wrong) but it could be longer.

Ideally I would like to sublease my room to a language student or something (someone I know would be leaving again) while I am away but I don't know how my housemates would like this let alone my landlord.

I'm just looking for advise from anyone who has done something similar as to how do I approach this with my landlord / house mates. Picking someone who will actually leave once I want to return.

Has anyone doing something similar before? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

I dont really know if anyone would take your room if you can't give them a fixed term.
    I wouldn't want to move all my stuff in only to be told to get out after 8 weeks.

You could AirBNB but as you said your housemates probably don't want to live with a new stranger in the house every week. Suppose your only real choice is to keep paying the rent.

You could ask your housemates if they know anyone looking for a short let. Might be the best compromise. Tho if they like them more than you, they might not leave ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

You might get lucky with a student looking for something for just 1 college term perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

done4now wrote: »
    I am currently renting an en-suite room
    Is it a one bed apartment, or are you living with other people?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

the_syco wrote: »
    Is it a one bed apartment, or are you living with other people?

From the OP:

Ideally I would like to sublease my room to a language student or something (someone I know would be leaving again) while I am away but I don't know how my housemates would like this let alone my landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

AirBNB or similar is probably out of the question as it would most likely be unacceptable to your landlord and housemates.

So you need to decide what is the minimum duration of your time away so that you can offer a fixed term agreement for that period.

Then talk to your housemates/landlord to make sure they are ok with it (who exactly to talk to might depend on what kind of contract you have with whom to rent the room).

And once everyone is happy and assuming it is a descent location, I have no doubt you'll find someone who's interested to take it either because they are in Dublin for that period or because they need a stopgap place in this crazy housing market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

eeguy wrote: »
    I dont really know if anyone would take your room if you can't give them a fixed term

Exactly! The only way I reckon this could work is if you have a defined period of time in which to offer the room for. Can't imagine anyone being happy with a vague 'we'll see how it goes' agreement.

Also have a chat with your housemates. You could be getting ahead of yourself, they'll be the ones living in the situation when you are gone off travelling and might not be too happy about it. Is there anything in your lease preventing you subletting?

Advertisement