Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part time work

Options
  • 30-07-2017 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

I am currently working for a major multinational company as a developer for the last few years but I'm become a bit bored of my job and I'm currently thinking of quitting my job to learn Spanish before going off travelling in South America for a few months.

If I follow through with this I would be in school from 9-12 and would have the rest of the day off but it would be good if I could use my free time to get some form of a income stead of using all of my savings and also keeping my skills fresh.

Is it possible to get part time and remote work? As normally in the positions I've had to date it takes a few months before you become any sort of value to the team because you are learning the full ecosystem of the companies application / line of work etc.

Anyone have any experience in doing this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

done4now wrote: »
    Anyone have any experience in doing this?

It's tough to get remote work which pays well even if you're an internationally recognised expert. And even if you do, clients almost always want you working full time on it until job completion, not part time.

Going down the TEFL route can be very rewarding, but I'd be very much looking at TEFL as a means to getting a job in programming in the country you land in. You'll find that easy as a TEFL teacher, most businesses are willing to pay extra for one to one teaching by a native English speaker. It's a short jump from that to getting a job in a local tech firm who generally love to hire native English speakers.

But if you're planning to roam around countries doing TEFL, then be aware that more than 18 months away from programming will hurt your employment chances, and they drop like a stone by three years away such that you'll need to retrain.

Niall

Advertisement