Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skid steer or Telehandler

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

Gballs wrote: »
    It's not that money isn't an issue it's that if I don't get the right machine for the work I'll end up having to hire someone....
    The work load is chronic, with 14 to 18 hour days seven days a week... with just 7 days off in the last 4 yrs....
    I'm lookin into getting the skid steer out on demo....
    I need to make the day more efficient by cutting out some of the manual labour....
    Yes tying up money in machinery is a worry but having to get shoulder hip and God knows what else fixed by 50 would be a lot bigger worry....
    Quality of life is also an issue, no point working urself to death...
    The machines that have been suggested are very good but aren't suitable for what I need....
    The attachments I'd be getting would be, bale spike, soft hands bale stacker, 6ft tine grab, bucket sweeper and palet forks....
    And the right machine to drive them...

Just re the skidsteer I wouldn't get all of those attachments. We have the bucket (so handy) and the forks(which are a bit on the long side try get shorter if you can). We got a yard scraper but end up using the bucket for it most of the time. The tones are great at pushing in the silage for us and you can use the bucket for that as well. Wouldn't bother with the pallet forks for the first while anyway and wouldn't bother with a bale spike and a fork but at the same time I know what we use ours for your set up is v different!!! It's so much faster doing jobs around the place and I was lifting stuff way too heavy so glad to have that as a replacement to my back!
    As I said I wouldn't be with out ours now but I'm not a huge machinery lover like some other guys would be!! Hey what works for your set up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Gballs

I Farm dairy goats...
    In the process of going from 30 unit to 60....
    Also auto feeding system if money allows....
    That'll be a few hrs saved every day....
    One bale feeds all milkers per day...
    In all year round so the place has to be kept or maybe I should say it should be kept SPOTLESS...
    A sweeper is a must, I have 28 bay's to clean and feed out silage, haylage and hay to...
    Bedding is also a big job, and a blower isn't an option unless I also put in large extractor fans, 4 fans at 2k a pop...
    Storage for bales is also an issue so I have to start stacking them. ..
    I gave a bale unwinder so feed out isn't a issue...
    One of the main reasons I leaning towards a skid steer is the shed for young goats has to be cleaned out with a skid steer unless I put roller doors on every bay , 5 bay...

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

I Farm dairy goats...
    In all year round so the place has to be kept or maybe I should say it should be kept SPOTLESS...
    A sweeper is a must, I have 28 bay's to clean and feed out silage, haylage and hay to...
    Bedding is also a big job, and a blower isn't an option unless I also put in large extractor fans, 4 fans at 2k a pop...
    One of the main reasons I leaning towards a skid steer is the shed for young goats has to be cleaned out with a skid steer unless I put roller doors on every bay , 5 bay...

Well for what you're describing here it sounds like a skidsteer would suit you down to the ground.

And it cleans out pen in minutes-saves hours with a fork and shovel! I think it sounds ideal for your set up as wel-she easily lifts a bale of hay!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

We had a caterpillar loader, manitou and skidsteer. Have to say all had advantages, but bang for your buck skidsteer, mine cost 6k scrapes, cleans sheds, moves bales , feeds 200 head, loads fertilliser. Obviously if money no object weinmann

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

kevthegaff wrote: »
    We had a caterpillar loader, manitou and skidsteer. Have to say all had advantages, but bang for your buck skidsteer, mine cost 6k scrapes, cleans sheds, moves bales , feeds 200 head, loads fertilliser. Obviously if money no object weinmann

What way is the skidsteer handling silage bales kev?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Profi magazine is doing a feature on teleporters in the September issue, could be interesting to compare. New only but they have an article in the current issue on a teleporter second hand.

What way is the skidsteer handling silage bales kev?

Very bouncy but keep them low near the ground and ok, just regarding budget unless you have over 10k I'd stick with a skidsteer

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭hometruths

kevthegaff wrote: »

Out of interest what kind of year, hours, condition, brand etc did you get for your 6k?

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭divillybit

I Farm dairy goats...

What kind of bale unwinder did you by Gballs if I may ask?

• Advertisement

schmittel wrote:
    Out of interest what kind of year, hours, condition, brand etc did you get for your 6k?

Mustang 2050 hrs unknown stopped at 4k, tight machine with wiring a little dodgy but mechanically v good 2001.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

Marginally off topic.
    Anyone know of reputable dealers in the north or this side of england/Wales.
    Looking for a fresh jcb loadall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

dar31 wrote: »
    Marginally off topic.

Hillview plant have a good selection of jcbs. My local mechanic services their machines in the Munster region and says they are good to deal with. They advertise in journal.

dar31 wrote:
    Marginally off topic. Anyone know of reputable dealers in the north or this side of england/Wales. Looking for a fresh jcb loadall

Youngs at the ragg near thurles, not sure have they many loadalls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Marginally off topic.
    Not exactly what you're looking for but this guy near the Kerry/Limerick border imports a lot of handling machinery. He might have something suitable or able to source something.

http://www.dermotclancyplantsales.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

Thanks lads.
    Was planning to head up to hilview plant up north this week or next and was looking for names of a few more dealers to make the trip worth while.
    Was looking to jcb 526-56, 531-70 or a 536-60
    There's a big difference in machines spec, but low hours is most important consideration

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Not exactly what you're looking for but this guy near the Kerry/Limerick border imports a lot of handling machinery. He might have something suitable or able to source something.

http://www.dermotclancyplantsales.com/

He had a nice JCB robot for sale last week 15.5K plus vat

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Thanks lads.
    Was planning to head up to hilview plant up north this week or next and was looking for names of a few more dealers to make the trip worth while.
    Was looking to jcb 526-56, 531-70 or a 536-60
    There's a big difference in machines spec, but low hours is most important consideration

The 536 all day long. You'll only appreciate the extra lift capacity when you have it in the yard a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

There is a guy called Richard mcallister tractors in tyrone
    A fellow not too far from me purchased a telehandler bit ago from him said he was ok to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭MF290

The 536 all day long. You'll only appreciate the extra lift capacity when you have it in the yard a while.

you'll miss the extra reach more than the lift capacity with the 536-60 vs the 531-70 imo. 536-60 look a tidier machine though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 hamletsmoker

Hi All. Been thinking about buying a second hand skidsteer for scraping parlour yard and cleaning out calf/calving pens and general lifting around the yard. Also sweeping down cubicle beds in the winter with a brush attachment. Have a telehandler for the bigger jobs. Would like to hear from people who have one or who have had one and got rid for whatever reason. They appear to be very popular in the U.K. and USA. One man operation here with 100 cows.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Bazzer007

We're in the same position, hoping to buy a second hand skidsteer before the cows are rehoused. We have a tractor and loader for the bigger jobs but would like to get a skidsteer for backup with a grab and it would be fierce handy to clean sheds with a scraper/bucket, sweep cubicles and push in silage. A friend of mine has one and he wouldn't be without his Bobcat. I work off farm and milking 160. Anything that will make the workload easier is worth a few bob. Only problem is the old man might find it hard to get in and out of one. Think the JCB and CAT steers have side entry. Going to take a day off and go to Mc Ardle's for a look. They sell Mustang's but have a good selection and reputation. Budget is 8k so going to be hard to get a clean one. Have been looking on DD and not many clean being sold privately - low budget doesn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 hamletsmoker

Bazzer007 wrote: »
    We're in the same position, hoping to buy a second hand skidsteer before the cows are rehoused. We have a tractor and loader for the bigger jobs but would like to get a skidsteer for backup with a grab and it would be fierce handy to clean sheds with a scraper/bucket, sweep cubicles and push in silage. A friend of mine has one and he wouldn't be without his Bobcat. I work off farm and milking 160. Anything that will make the workload easier is worth a few bob. Only problem is the old man might find it hard to get in and out of one. Think the JCB and CAT steers have side entry. Going to take a day off and go to Mc Ardle's for a look. They sell Mustang's but have a good selection and reputation. Budget is 8k so going to be hard to get a clean one. Have been looking on DD and not many clean being sold privately - low budget doesn't help.
    Don't think you'll get much of a choice for 8k. McArdles have a nice 2003 mustang on their website for €11850+VAT. Would go for a look but too busy at the moment. Long way from west cork! I reckon a lot of these machines could have been driven hard so one should be careful when buying an older one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Bazzer007 wrote: »

watch the head gaskets give problems on the 2054 mustang

Client has a 2008 one and she is a great little bus but he had to do the head on it last year with only 1500 hours on it. He is looking for a new one at moment so I will see

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭aidanki

What's the visibility like on one of those telehandler or skiddy when the bucket is 4ft off the ground. Sometimes it not possible lift it much higher due to sloping terrain and weight

I'll have to save the pennies a bit longer and up my budget. Need to buy a few implements as well so might take out a loan. Long way to travel to McArdles alright. Two clean looking steers for sale in Armagh, Bobcat and JCB robot. I'll make a long weekend out of it and travel around when I have the time. Also on the look out for a second hand gator/utv as well! Quad was stolen last month, hence the low budget. Upgrading our security at the moment before making a purchase. Fitted a heavy duty roller door recently and alarming the shed soon. More dough again. Sign of the times I'm afraid. Cork man here too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

I Farm dairy goats...

think you may be asking too much of the skid steer TBH.
    reckon it'll do about 80% of what you want from it but stacking and lifting bales especially silage ones is beyond what they can do.

get your skid steer for the jobs in the shed what you need it for then get a cheap 2nd hand digger or loader for the heavy jobs or even a 4wd tractor as it safer and quicker. no point getting one and realisng it wont do everything.

We actually use the skidsteer for lifting silage bales and it can manage. Don't go too high and she's fine.inwouldnt be pulling her from three stacks high but you can knock it off and then pick it up,that's what I do!we used it most of last winter. Re visibility it can be slightly difficult if you have it that height and you have to be careful but we have a mesh on the windows that's coming off at some point that makes it worse.she has no probs with bales of hayetc. We bought off adare machinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

anyone have opinions on the mini front loaders?

• Advertisement

ganmo wrote: »
    anyone have opinions on the mini front loaders?

Not too many second hand mini front loaders around, big money to buy new. JCB 406 and Kubota loaders are expensive. There's a crowd up north selling Giant compact loaders and I've seen a few Atlas mini loaders without cabs. I haven't seen any second mini ones for under 25k. Only JCB Loadall Handler or Skid Steer within my budget :)

Advertisement