Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skid steer or Telehandler

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

Bazzer007 wrote: »
    Not too many second hand mini front loaders around, big money to buy new. JCB 406 and Kubota loaders are expensive. There's a crowd up north selling Giant compact loaders and I've seen a few Atlas mini loaders without cabs. I haven't seen any second mini ones for under 25k. Only JCB Loadall Handler or Skid Steer within my budget :)

MP crowely in cork do Kubota Loader RT280

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

Bazzer007 wrote: »
    Not too many second hand mini front loaders around, big money to buy new. JCB 406 and Kubota loaders are expensive. There's a crowd up north selling Giant compact loaders and I've seen a few Atlas mini loaders without cabs. I haven't seen any second mini ones for under 25k. Only JCB Loadall Handler or Skid Steer within my budget :)

I see a jcb 406 on dd lately down in kerry 2 years old I think was a nice bit cheaper than a telehandler of same year and condition

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

dar31 wrote: »
    Thanks lads.
    Was planning to head up to hilview plant up north this week or next and was looking for names of a few more dealers to make the trip worth while.
    Was looking to jcb 526-56, 531-70 or a 536-60
    There's a big difference in machines spec, but low hours is most important consideration

How dare31 did you buy anything from hillview plant or did u visit any other dealer worth talking about ??

• Registered Users Posts: 8 finbar82

For what it’s worth, I bought a 1990 JCB 406 this year and can honestly say it’s a weapon. Paid very small money for it and feeding with a 5ft shear grab all winter, needed a few jobs doing and a tidy up. In the past hired in a skid steer to clean calf sheds, 406 will go anywhere the skid steer will go, will go anywhere the 3cx won’t go too. Second hand bucket, pallet forks,bale squeezer, new shear grab and dung fork all in less than 8K. Don’t underestimate the older machines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

How dare31 did you buy anything from hillview plant or did u visit any other dealer worth talking about ??

Yea bought from hillview in the end, anywhere in the south was to dear for similar machines.
    He's a bit of a dealer but no problems.
    Machine good order and delivered on time.
    Bought a jcb 536-60 agri super beast of a machine..
    Need to get a bigger shear grab for next winter, the one I wanted had a 8 wk waiting time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

seriously considering a skidsteer here for next winter(2018) . ill try pick one up this time next year. taking on rented outfarm and will leave tractor there

Like you I was thinking teleporter and rent it out over the summer for building sites , but skidsteer is winning out for me
    Rent it and get it back in bits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Yea bought from hillview in the end, anywhere in the south was to dear for similar machines.
    Need to get a bigger shear grab for next winter, the one I wanted had a 8 wk waiting time

Many artic steers there 412/414 etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

Mooooo wrote: »
    Many artic steers there 412/414 etc?

Didn't see any there.
    Had 15 -20 machines there all loadalls and tm 310/320 A lot a fairly fresh ones oldest was 09

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭White Clover

finbar82 wrote: »
    For what it’s worth, I bought a 1990 JCB 406 this year and can honestly say it’s a weapon. Paid very small money for it and feeding with a 5ft shear grab all winter, needed a few jobs doing and a tidy up. In the past hired in a skid steer to clean calf sheds, 406 will go anywhere the skid steer will go, will go anywhere the 3cx won’t go too. Second hand bucket, pallet forks,bale squeezer, new shear grab and dung fork all in less than 8K. Don’t underestimate the older machines.

That sounds like a machine that would suit me perfectly. A few questions if you don't mind! What Perkins engine is in them? What kind of lift height do they have? Would they stack round bales 3 high? What is the length and width of the machine?
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Would a skid steer with a small shear grab be light enough to go on non tractor slatts? Could very easily put silage back into an old indoor pit here, but would need to drive over the slatts to get access to the feed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Timmaay wrote: »
    Would a skid steer with a small shear grab be light enough to go on non tractor slatts? Could very easily put silage back into an old indoor pit here, but would need to drive over the slatts to get access to the feed.
    For what silage you'd put in old pit would it be as easy make a few extra bales on hardcore and keep roofed silo for calves/calving/older cows in need of tlc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    For what silage you'd put in old pit would it be as easy make a few extra bales on hardcore and keep roofed silo for calves/calving/older cows in need of tlc?

Would put best part of 300t in it. And aim would be to have it empty for early Feb and back to use for calving. Could feed off the face as well. Finally feed passage narrow enough here, so something like skid steer would actually be handy, alongside a few awkward sheds to muck out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Timmaay wrote:

I drive the odd time on them when pulling out a cow stuck or if scrapers are stuck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

I have been into Hillview a couple of time in the last few months (as I work up around there anyway) and they have a good selection of machines. Usually 15 to 20 machines on site. You'd want to have your figures done when buying tho. A £20,000 machine will cost €27,600 before it leaves the yard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Advertisement