Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where did you get your hearing aids from?

• 31-07-2017 12:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

I need to get a new hearing aid. I got my old one in Egans in Cork. It's an in the ear hearing aid and l have poor hearing. As their hearing aids are expensive, I'm going to check out other places like deaf hear, specsavers etc or are they all the same. I would like to know where did you get yours and would they be cheaper than the likes of Egans. I understand it's depend on what kind of hearing aid. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 EireGrif

Heath board Audiology Centre. DeafHear don't do this, only selling batteries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,741 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Make sure you are comparing (exactly) like with like. There is a considerable difference in the price of hearing aids, but there is also a very significant difference in the quality of the results. It does not necessarily mean you need top of the range (though nice if you can afford it) but you need to compare what you are getting with what you had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Check how many channels you need, and how many channels the hearing aids offered have. I need 8 channels, so a hearing aid with only 4 channels would be of no use.

Some have t-coil, some have bluetooth. Actually, any of the newer aids have bluetooth or technology; I think t-coil is being phased out as it's so old (they have been in them since 1974).

Personally, I'd say avoid Hidden Hearing. Have used Bonabox, and have heard good things from Deaf Hear (no pun intended :pac:), and both have partnerships with pharmacies and opticians elsewhere in Ireland.

One thing I will say is that Bonavox only sells Widex. Although they served me well, be aware of the bias when talking to them, and Specsavers (who I think when I last looked only sold one brand).

IMO, get hearing aids somewhere that they've been selling hearing aids for at least five years.

Advertisement