Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Season 7 Episode 4 "The Spoils of War" - "Non book readers"

• 31-07-2017 6:49am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Note anything after this post may contain spoilers for the episode; do not read or open this thread until you have watched the whole episode!!!

This is ONLY about the specific episode! No information from any other source but listed below are allowed to be posted but book related information is allowed as well as the lore from the DVDs. Anything relating to interviews or articles directly related to this episode can be posted with a spoiler tag.

The "Next Episode" and any speculation on what may come in the future episodes should be put in the appropriate Season 7 speculation thread; any funny pictures from the episode should be posted in this thread until Wednesday rather than the funny picture thread.

In addition anyone picking up 3 yellow cards will be banned from the forum for the current season; in case of serious enough transgressions the ban may come earlier than 3 cards.

Thread will be unlocked on Sunday evening.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

That was just epic, i weed, then i weed some more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

*To be read in the Hound's voice*

"Right, I'm waiting for the first C--t to complain they miss the slower pace of previous seasons."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

I had a horrible thought, Qyburn came up with the poison to kill the sand snake, is it possible he poisoned the arrow that hit Drogon?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Watched it yesterday.... Epic does not describe it!! I was sitting open mouthed the whole episode!!

I have a question, but by asking it some may construe it as spoilers, so will use spoiler tags just in case
    There's been quite a few theories over the last while that one of D's Dargons will die, and will come back as an Ice Dragon under the Ice King.

Doesn't the thing that died have to die North of the wall for that to happen,
    or surely every one who'd died South of the wall will be ice coming back by now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

scudzilla wrote: »
    I have a question, but by asking it some may construe it as spoilers, so will use spoiler tags just in case
    There's been quite a few theories over the last while that one of D's Dargons will die, and will come back as an Ice Dragon under the Ice King.

Doesn't the thing that died have to die North of the wall for that to happen,
    or surely every one who'd died South of the wall will be ice coming back by now

I agree with you re location.

However, I've seen a poster for this season and it looks like a
    dragon "breathing" an ice flame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I think Drogon will be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Womder what will happen with Jaime & Bronn now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

The threads been unlocked!

DRAGON!
    That is all :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Are we allowed to discuss it now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

J. Marston wrote: »
    Are we allowed to discuss it now?

I assume so:
    Nody wrote: »
    Note anything after this post may contain spoilers for the episode;

But in fairness..
    Dragon!
    is all! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I guess Jamie is going to Dragonstone as a prisoner, should add an interesting dynamic to things...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Jamie should be dead with all that armour. No way he should survive. Obviously he will.

Really enjoyed the episode, Bronn is such a badass :D

sabat wrote: »
    I guess Jamie is going to Dragonstone as a prisoner, should add an interesting dynamic to things...

It really will. Does Dany want him executed for her Father's death or see his value as a political prisoner? Will he be traded for Yara and Ellaria? What will Tyrion do? Tyrion and Jaime scenes, I can't wait!

It really will. Does Dany want him executed for her Father's death or see his value as a political prisoner? Will he be traded for Yara and Ellaria? What will Tyrion do? Tyrion and Jaime scenes, I can't wait!

With the way the timeline is going Ellaria will be long dead by now i'd have thought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

Still struggling to understand how a primitive weapon like a ballista could inflict such damage on a dragon of that size. Like are we being led to believe that the beast could actually die from that shot?

Will this finally be the second turning point for Jamie? After he inexplicably goes running back to be a lap dog for a sister who blew up their only remaining allies and drove their only remaining child to suicide, will seeing all those people being burned finally make him realise that fighting this war for Cersei is a bit insane? Not to mention, Olenna's confession has changed things, surely..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭pah

I'm struggling a bit with Aryas skill level.

She barely beat the waif last season but now she's a fully fledged 16 yr old ninja assassin. Deflecting heavy blows from Brianne with needle. A stretch too far imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Holy sh*t. How am I supposed to go to sleep now? Amazing TV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

pah wrote: »

She barely beat the waif last season but now she's a fully fledged 16 yr old ninja assassin. Deflecting heavy blows from Brianne with needle. A stretch too far imo.

Why just why?

That episode and particularly that battle was nothing short of epic. I almost pissed my pants at the end.

We've seen Arya practice with Needle throughout the series. Would make sense that she's seriously good with it by now.

But I'm not bothered about details like that because DRACARYS! Amazing battle scene.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

We've seen Arya practice with Needle throughout the series. Would make sense that she's seriously good with it by now.

But I'm not bothered about details like that because DRACARYS! Amazing battle scene.

Exactly. It's every week people complain about **** like that or time line issues. We get it. But we don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Just one word for that episode - EPIC!!

First time staying up to watch it with the US, well worth it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Some of the best tv I've ever seen, that last 10-15mins was epic. I love Bronn, but I felt this probably should have been his death scene. Would have been a great way to go out for such a character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Going to bed, but yeah, fucking great episode!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Five seasons.

Walk over here.

Get married.

Build my army.

Walk over here.

Husband dies.

Lose my army.

Walk over here.

Talk to creepy witch men and go into tower.

Walk over here.

Mother of dragons.

Walk over here.

Build army and empire.

Yada yada mother of dragons.

Lose army and empire.

Walk over here.

Free slaves.

Mother of dragons mothers of dragons.

On and on and on.....

For five whole bloody seasons.

And they just made it worth every f*cking second of it! Hands down, no questions asked, my favourite battle scene in the entire show including Blackwater. That was Normandy Beach in Saving Private Ryan levels of 'holy f---ing sh*t!!'

So, so happy I didn't crack and watch the poor quality leak the other day, and that's the highlight so far of my high def projector! One litre bottle of vodka in the corner for perspective. :D
    https://s2.postimg.org/uwq70ktgp/20170807_042617.jpg
    https://s1.postimg.org/m0v2wpkwv/20170807_042629.jpg

Oh yeah, and Arya/Brienne sparring was cool and stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Tyrion is in a tough position, surely Daenerys will want to execute Jaime and Bronn

Fcking amazing episode

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Will Jaime and Bronn be captured though? Was having this discussion with a friend too.

Drogon was a little bet up at the end and Dany had one close call with Jaime. Surely at that point she must decide to fall back for her own safety, already has shown strength and won the fight, no need hanging around trying to fish out two people from the water during an on-going battle, surely they'd have time to sneak off since the fighting was still happening.

Maybe I'm just taking this opinion because I don't want Jaime to be captured, but either way great episode, could have done with another 20 minutes added on the end just so I would know his fate! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Jaime captured?

Men in armour sink to the bottom, my conclusion was he drowned

Not a common opinion here though :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Will Jaime and Bronn be captured though? Was having this discussion with a friend too.

Drogon was a little bet up at the end and Dany had one close call with Jaime. Surely at that point she must decide to fall back for her own safety, already has shown strength and won the fight, no need hanging around trying to fish out two people from the water during an on-going battle, surely they'd have time to sneak off since the fighting was still happening.

Maybe I'm just taking this opinion because I don't want Jaime to be captured, but either way great episode, could have done with another 20 minutes added on the end just so I would know his fate! :P
    Cliff hanger! :)

She's not in any real danger, the battle's over and she's with a horde of Dothraki. Drogon's injury is just a flesh wound. The arrow barely got through his scales. Jaime and Bronn will be fished out (possibly by Bronn, who wasn't wearing as much armour iirc) and taken prisoner I suspect. It might put manners on Cersei if they have her brother as hostage.

• Advertisement

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Jaime captured?

Men in armour sink to the bottom, my conclusion was he drowned

Not a common opinion here though :confused:

You could be right but I think most think he's survived for a number of reasons.

Firstly Jaime has gone through a lot during the show and is one of the main characters, most would think he has a big role to play in how the show will tie up. I won't go into speculation but it would seem wasted to have it end like that for him.

Secondly if he was to die why bother with having Bronn dash across knocking him into the water avoiding the flames. That to me would suggest he survives, and of course a scene where Bronn tells him off and lists his new demands of castles, gold etc.

Really anything could happen, and we'll have to wait and see, but personally, and I think this is the same for many others here, too much points towards Jaime having survived.

Now I could be wrong and the opening scene of ep5 shows his lifeless body but I do hope I'm not! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭DANNY2014

The big thing I'm thinking of with Jaime is his undeniably gonna sink to the bottom no questions asked because yea he has armour on but the big massive weight in what is his GOLDEN HAND surely is sending him deep into the drink but it's thrones and I can see him been captured as a way of telling cersie we've got your only thing that matters now....

Was it bronn that jumped him out of the fire??? Could it be a plot twist that it was tyrion... Have to watch it again tonite...

Thought in winterfell that sansa was a little jealous of ayra but then again it could be a plot twist to make us all think that she has done noting while all her siblings are something... (Which is the case so far) maybe she has something big just around the corner...

Need white walkers next week... Need to see what's going on at eastwatch by the sea and castle black as so far haven't been showing this season... Next week will be huge I hope and that's definitely a top 3 episode no word about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

DANNY2014 wrote: »

Was it bronn that jumped him out of the fire??? Could it be a plot twist that it was tyrion... Have to watch it again tonite...

Ah Tyrion was miles away watching. If he had Shergar as his mount he still couldn't have made that distance :)

Thought in winterfell that sansa was a little jealous of ayra but then again it could be a plot twist to make us all think that she has done noting while all her siblings are something... (Which is the case so far) maybe she has something big just around the corner...

got_weird_1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭XsApollo

I thought when Sansa asked Arya who else was on her list , that she was wondering was she on it herself.
    Seems nobody else has thought that tho,
    But it's the the first thing I thought by the way she asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Was it bronn that jumped him out of the fire??? Could it be a plot twist that it was tyrion... Have to watch it again tonite.

I reckon it's Dickon :) and he has sunk to the bottom and drowned.

Bronn is a cracking character.... Dickon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Gru

Jon: how many men do we have to fight them? 10 thousand? Less?
    Sir Davos: fewer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

pah wrote: »

When Arya fought the Waif, she was still recovering from being stabbed and was not physically at her best. Jumping off balconies didn't exactly help, either!

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Gru wrote: »
    Jon: how many men do we have to fight them? 10 thousand? Less?
    Sir Davos: fewer.

I enjoyed that, and also Bran's "Chaos is a ladder" to Littlefinger.

Regarding the ending, it seemed clear to me that it was meant as a cliffhanger, in that we're not supposed to know for sure whether Jaime is alive or not until the next episode. The trailer for episode 5 confirms this more or less.

Really enjoyed the episode though. Was pretty sure Bronn was going to be brown bread at several points in the battle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,277 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Can anyone confirm if there's any difference between the preview episode and tonight's actual episode.

Is it just me, or has the writing suffered since they've gone off book?..

• Advertisement

flazio wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm if there's any difference between the preview episode and tonight's actual episode.

There isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,277 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Is it just me, or has the writing suffered since they've gone off book?..

As we are non book readers how can we tell?

Bronn or anyone could jump in and help him up, or Dany could order Drogon to do it...Jaime is more valuable alive then dead, he would know Cerseis plans!

I don't think Jaime is dead. Lannister army looked like it was routed anyway

Or Gendry could have been rowing by :P

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

There isn't.

It was a lot more noticeable in S5 and somewhat in S6, but I think this season has been fine. It's probably easier to hide the shoddier (note, -ER, it's hard to live up to GRRM) writing this season when there are so many huge events in such a short amount of time.

I don't mind either way. Bar the meh-ness of S5 I have loved pretty much episode of GoT.

Anyway do you think the Dragon arrows could have poison on them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

That was epic!

The Lannister army looked shot, those poignant scenes where Jamie and Tyrion were looking at the army burning was telling (unless they have reserves)

Surprised the other two dragons didn't make an experience.

Drogon could of solved the Euron problem in a moment and saved a lot of hassle for everyone. I wonder will Danny be more cautious now shes seen Drogon get hurt, it's clear they are not invincible. My heart was in my mouth for minute when I thought of the possibility of him getting killed:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Anyway do you think the Dragon arrows could have poison on them?
    Unlikely. They're massive and would have to be handled with extreme care. Also, you'd have to have a poison that wouldn't degenerate over time. They brought them all the way from KL to Highgarden and pretty much all the way back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Wow the last 20mins was amazing. CGI was great for a change. Hope that's not all the season's budget gone

Unlikely. They're massive and would have to be handled with extreme care. Also, you'd have to have a poison that wouldn't degenerate over time. They brought them all the way from KL to Highgarden and pretty much all the way back.

Qyburn has been experimenting with them, he may have figured out a way. Jaime served some to Olenna. Wasn't the thing called Scorpion? Maybe Qyburn developed a cure too?

If I were Dany I would invest in dragon armour!

turnikett1 wrote: »
    It was a lot more noticeable in S5 and somewhat in S6, but I think this season has been fine. It's probably easier to hide the shoddier (note, -ER, it's hard to live up to GRRM) writing this season when there are so many huge events in such a short amount of time.

I don't mind either way. Bar the meh-ness of S5 I have loved pretty much episode of GoT.

What? My "there isn't" was a response to a question about differences between the leaked and broadcast episodes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement