Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Kerry

Options
  • 31-07-2017 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi all,

Hoping to do the Ring of Kerry in September for a few days and was looking for any advise on places to stay/things not to be missed. 
    Budget is about €500 for three nights accommodation so was looking at splashing out on The Europe or Muckross for a night (enjoy the spa after a long drive from Dublin) before maybe moving on. Hoping to do a tour of the Skelligs too - has anyone rec's for nearby accommodation? Any nice Airbnbs?
    Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

If you look at the list of topics on the Kerry forum there are threads on the Ring and Skelligs on the first page.

Always a good idea to search Boards, you will often find your questions have been asked and answered previously.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Stellasmurf

Thanks Jonathon! I did a quick search before posting but it only threw up old threads. But I searched mainly in the travel section so will have a look in the Kerry section now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭dball

10 minutes on Airbnb will sort all of the accommodation out for you,
    I'd say there is a home every 5 miles available on that route, probably more!!
    That's if you have any money left after a night in the Europe - mad prices

Thanks DBall; It is eyewatering! But as we're not heading away abroad on holiday this year so I was angling for the 5 Star for a night or two :D Is The Europe supposedly the best? Over Parknasilla or Muckross? Was hoping to do a night of glamping too but Dromquinna is closed for the season at the time we are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭dball

stayed 1 night in the Europe a few years ago. 10 stars. mad altogether.
    Pool etc is second to none. cant rate it high enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Glamping at Ballycasheen in Killarney. A 10/15 minute walk into town.

https://www.killarneyglamping.com

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I highly recommend the Spa in Parknasilla as a place to unwind, they spent millions on it a few years ago and it is class. I think you can get a day rate for it if you're not a guest. Well worth a visit.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Travelling from Waterville to Sneem there are some spots on the high road to pull in and take in the views, then there is a turn off for Derrynane Strand a mile or two after this. Derrynane is well worth a visit in any kind of weather, plenty parking, nice long beach with a graveyard on an island at one end and a house that resembles a ship at the other end.
    There's a well hidden pub near the graveyard end only about 50-100 yards from the beach, 'Bridie Keatings' it's an old fashioned pub with plenty of character where you can get a homemade sandwich and a pot of tea.
    The Blind Piper bar does nice food if you want something more substantial, further up the main road 'Bake my day' is great if you have a sweet tooth and very near that is The Black Shop another old fashioned family run bar.
    I like old fashioned pubs, there's another one behind the post office in Sneem.
    Enjoy the trip and I hope the weather is good for ye.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Usual stops...

Muckross House
    Torc Waterfall
    Ladies View
    Moll's Gap
    Kenmare
    Stroll around Sneem, various statutes
    Staigue Fort
    Derrynane
    View across to Beara at Coomakista
    Stroll around Waterville
    Ballinskelligs
    Cliffs near St. Finian's Bay, view out to Skelligs
    Valentia Island - Knighstown, Slate Quarry, Tetrapod Trackway
    Cahersiveen
    Kells
    Glenbeigh/Rossbeigh
    Killarney itself, Ross Castle, the Cathedral, the Demesne etc. etc.

And that's skipping loads, as others have said Parknasilla, Caherdaniel, Caragh Lake/Glencar, the Gap of Dunloe, Cronin's Yard to take in the Reeks...

If you tire of the Iveragh Peninsula, you tire of life.

Thanks so much for all that! I better get planning. If anyone has any rec's of BnB's with lake or sea views or other highly rec accommodation along the Ring, would love to hear about them.

• Advertisement

You're very welcome. Always glad to brag about this part of the world!

Any number of hotels in Killarney and Kenmare. Near Sneem, you have Parknasilla at the luxury end...and it is truly lovely, or the Sneem Hotel which is very solid and on the seashore, and if you like something different try...

http://www.tahillacove.com

Further back the peninsula things get a bit thin in terms of proper hotels, except maybe the Butlers Arms in Waterville, but some great guesthouses, like

http://www.moorings.ie
    In Portmagee

http://www.qc.ie
    In Cahersiveen

http://www.kellsbay.ie
    In Kells

Glenbeigh probably has a good selection of guesthouses, and The Towers hotel.

Wouldn't know about Killorglin, great place but perhaps more of a market town than a tourist spot really. Caragh Lake is between Glenbeigh and Killorglin and has this spot...

http://m.carrighouse.com

I should say some of the places are not really at the budget end...I'd actually suggest not to blow the accommodation budget in Killarney but spread it out.

Thanks so much for all that! I better get planning. If anyone has any rec's of BnB's with lake or sea views or other highly rec accommodation along the Ring, would love to hear about them.

'Harbour View', is self catering accomodation 9km past Waterville, turn off to the right just after the Scarriff Inn.

Sea and Island views to take your breath away.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

http://iskeroon.com/

Featured in Frommers, Conde Nast, etc. Usually booked out tho'.

Thanks again for all of your advise. We actually decided to do some glamping in Killarney for a few days! Although I would like to book a nice hotel for our final night. What is the best hotel to stay in for luxury bearing in mind we will be travelling (anti-clockwise) from Portmagee and need to head back to Dublin the following morning. I'm thinking Parknsilla or The Europe/Muckross now.

dobman88 wrote: »

We decided to do this! Thanks for the rec :)

dobman88 wrote: »

Thanks again for all of your advise. We actually decided to do some glamping in Killarney for a few days! Although I would like to book a nice hotel for our final night. What is the best hotel to stay in for luxury bearing in mind we will be travelling (anti-clockwise) from Portmagee and need to head back to Dublin the following morning. I'm thinking Parknsilla or The Europe/Muckross now.

If you're travelling anti clockwise Parknasilla is in the wrong direction for you. The Europe would be the one as it's before Killarney and easy access to the Tralee road for the "road to Dublin". You also wouldn't have to deal with town traffic

Happy to help. Have never stayed myself because I'm from town. Hope you enjoyed it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭coleen

Aghadoe heights is another 5* not far from the location of the Europe and it is on www.escapes.ie on offer at the moment.

Advertisement