Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I taught for 575 hours last year. Was it a waste of a year for an increment?

Options
  • 31-07-2017 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi all,

I just received my statement of service from the Department. I requested it as I was hoping to move up the incremental scale. Last year was my first year qualified. I read that you need to have taught for 600 hours to move up the scale. I thought I had hit that number but turns out I was slightly below it. I had taught for 575 hours. It's quite disappointing to be so close. Does this mean that those hours last year were a total waste for an increment as I can't move up the scale? Or can I bring those hours forward at all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Hi all,

I just received my statement of service from the Department. I requested it as I was hoping to move up the incremental scale. Last year was my first year qualified. I read that you need to have taught for 600 hours to move up the scale. I thought I had hit that number but turns out I was slightly below it. I had taught for 575 hours. It's quite disappointing to be so close. Does this mean that those hours last year were a total waste for an increment as I can't move up the scale? Or can I bring those hours forward at all?

If you remain teaching in the same school the hours will be carried over. If not you begin again from 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Tommo3434343

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    If you remain teaching in the same school the hours will be carried over. If not you begin again from 0.

I'm going to be in same school next year. So does that mean that when I work up another 25 hours after a week or two then I can go up an increment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

I'm going to be in same school next year. So does that mean that when I work up another 25 hours after a week or two then I can go up an increment?

Yeah that's it exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Tommo3434343

sitstill wrote: »
    Yeah that's it exactly

That's a relief! I thought I'd have to another full year to move up one increment. So after I hit 600, I can move up right away? And then move up again next year if I clock up another 600?

Thanks for the help by the way folks.

Advertisement