Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Erectile dysfunction in cyclists

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

For anyone unable to open the pdf or just interested in the take home message
    Many cyclists experience penile numbness or ED that is related to riding a bike.

The rate of ED is not higher among cyclists than in general population

Compression of pudendal nerves and arteries is defined by the position of cyclist, saddle and bicycle features, workload.

Cyclists should follow dedicated advices to decrease the risk of ED.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Long story short, while there is really no difference in young and middle aged cyclist, the only take home message is that generally cyclists are more honest about their presence but are also more satisfied (although not statistically significantly in either case).

Personally my experience of moderately long bike rides has been quite the opposite of the belief that some people have. I have only met man who complained of prolonged numbness but all others said that it actually increased staying power and everything else for a few days to a few weeks afterwards, depending on how often they took part in such activities.

All the initial papers are case studies and are therefore not relevant to the general public, and all the latter ones seem to imply that it really does nothing that cannot be explained by tiredness or poor fit on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭conkennedy

Literally, HTFU

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

CramCycle wrote: »
    Long story short, ....

Indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

No. All good here. That is all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

GCN video on the topic and other men's health issues & cycling - TL;DW - nothing new, all is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I rode many years, decades in fact on hard unpadded saddles in the hope of being rendered infertile. 2 kids later I can confirm that this is not a reliable method of contraception.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    I rode many years, decades in fact on hard unpadded saddles in the hope of being rendered infertile. 2 kids later I can confirm that this is not a reliable method of contraception.

Infertility and erectile dysfunction are a different.... ball game :D

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭conkennedy

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Too quick in the bed and too slow on the bike. Any relevant advice other than more time in the saddle? Little and often?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

i'd be more interested in the stats on infertility and cycling. 4 hours on a bike can give intermittent numbness,usually gone by a quick outta saddle effort. But 4 hours in shorts getting warmer and warmer with your balls getting a chaffing could impact surely?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    i'd be more interested in the stats on infertility and cycling. 4 hours on a bike can give intermittent numbness,usually gone by a quick outta saddle effort. But 4 hours in shorts getting warmer and warmer with your balls getting a chaffing could impact surely?

Warning, anecdotal evidence, my own experiences from Audaxes was quite the opposite. I would become quite, invigorated and a bit of a show man compared to my normal performance after a long day in the saddle. Everyone is different though. As for infertility, alas no, nothing wrong there either, but I am not trying to impregnate anyone so it could have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Not an issue for me, my bits are going to be sent on a fas course they're that long out of work :pac:

I do often wonder about the effects of long days in the saddle on the organs. I suppose positioning has a lot to do with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭Doc07

Taxuser1 wrote: »

Jens Voigt 6 kids, Lance 5 kids.
    Can’t beat an uncontrolled study of n=2

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

CramCycle wrote: »
    Long story short,.

That about sums it up

Advertisement