Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent Desktop

Options
  • 31-07-2017 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,334 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Could anyone recommend a decent desktop for home office use. Mostly just to remotely login to the office network.

Also some general excel use and general internet browsing.

Ideally don't want to spend more than 500e but I am computer illiterate and have come here first before googling anything, so not sure if that's too little or what. Would love to spend no more than 300e but need it to be able to do the basics.

Any recommendations/advice would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Bumping this, as I'm also looking for a decent desktop, and wondering which is the better of the online stores.

Amazon will not deliver anything that I like the look of to RoI. :(

While I'd like the PC to be decent, it can be a refurb.
    It will only be used for Word, browsing the web, and as a repository for CrashPlan backups. Would like 1TB disc space ideally, but can always stick in a second drive.

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

amazon deliver to parcel motel etc.

check out dell outlet store, http://www.dell.com/learn/ie/en/iedfh1/campaigns/splitter-ie

what you want to do, would probably also be fine with a powercity/pc world desktop, most of them are lower spec but have large hdd's as its a selling point - something along the lines of this
    http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/hp-slimline-260a160na-desktop-pc/335801/397.0.0

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There are plenty of ex business Dell and HP desktops available on Adverts.ie that would be more than able for what you want to do. Solid machines that are far better built than any of their consumer stuff.

http://www.adverts.ie/shops/atlanticit/ is one seller

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Speedsie wrote: »
    Bumping this, as I'm also looking for a decent desktop, and wondering which is the better of the online stores.

Amazon will not deliver anything that I like the look of to RoI. :(

While I'd like the PC to be decent, it can be a refurb.
    It will only be used for Word, browsing the web, and as a repository for CrashPlan backups. Would like 1TB disc space ideally, but can always stick in a second drive.

Any thoughts?

Any interest in building your own? Its fairly simple to do and very cheap compared to buying most of the time. At the very least, you can spec it however you want and have the knowledge and ability to incrementally upgrade as you need to as well.

The lads can give you a parts list over in PC Building and Upgrading

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Hi, thanks for all contributions.

I did try Parcel motel for a couple of Amazon PCs, but they wouldn't deliver to Antrim either.

Went onto Adverts and have seen a few I like, thanks for the suggestion. I've decided to swap things around & use this new desktop as the prime machine & the older one for off site backups.

Often thought about building a pc, and will do so one day......

Thanks all!

Speeds

• Advertisement

You might need to take note of the OS if you are connecting to a Domain. i.e. Win10Pro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

"I did try Parcel motel for a couple of Amazon PCs, but they wouldn't deliver to Antrim either."

An Post Addresspal is a great service that ships to a UK mainland address. You can have it shipped to your home or a local post office. It takes generous size parcels and heavy items like desktops at low charges.

Works great especially when suppliers won't ship to Parcel Motel.

Advertisement