Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir broadband - moving house

Options
  • 31-07-2017 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi there;

My wife and I signed up to a contract with Eir in September 2016. It was for broadband and TV, lasting eighteen months. It is due for renewal at the end of March 2018. 

At the time, we felt it was possible that we would move within 18 months, and asked specifically what the arrangements would be if we were to. We were told that we could simply inform you and have the account transferred under the existing contract to the new address - no charges, alterations to terms etc.

Last week, we moved from Kildare to Dublin. We informed Eir both online and via phone. We are being told:

1. It will take over two weeks to effect the transfer from old address to new address.  
    2. Because we moved house, we cannot continue on the existing contract.  
    3. Instead, we have to sign a new 18 months contract with you or else pay a "termination" charge of 400 euros.

Can you confirm that points 1 to 3 above are correct, please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭eir: Adam

ElleDeeBaz wrote: »
    Hi there;

My wife and I signed up to a contract with Eir in September 2016. It was for broadband and TV, lasting eighteen months. It is due for renewal at the end of March 2018. 

At the time, we felt it was possible that we would move within 18 months, and asked specifically what the arrangements would be if we were to. We were told that we could simply inform you and have the account transferred under the existing contract to the new address - no charges, alterations to terms etc.

Last week, we moved from Kildare to Dublin. We informed Eir both online and via phone. We are being told:

1. It will take over two weeks to effect the transfer from old address to new address.  
    3. Instead, we have to sign a new 18 months contract with you or else pay a "termination" charge of 400 euros.

Hi ElleDeeBaz,

Thanks for getting in touch. I'm afraid, if you are moving your services to a new address, you would be required to enter a new contract. You can view more information on this here: https://www.eir.ie/movingHome.jsp

You would have to wait for an appointment to have your services installed at your new home. I wouldn't be able to confirm exactly how long it will take as it would all depend on when we have an available appointment.

If you are in contract for your services at your current address and wish to cancel these services instead of entering a new contract at your new home, you would be required to pay early cancellation charges.

- Adam

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ElleDeeBaz

eir: Adam wrote: »
    Hi there;

Hi ElleDeeBaz,

Thanks for getting in touch. I'm afraid, if you are moving your services to a new address, you would be required to enter a new contract. You can view more information on this here: 

You would have to wait for an appointment to have your services installed at your new home. I wouldn't be able to confirm exactly how long it will take as it would all depend on when we have an available appointment.

If you are in contract for your services at your current address and wish to cancel these services instead of entering a new contract at your new home, you would be required to pay early cancellation charges.

- Adam
    Ok thanks Adam - massively unimpressive and I can see why, commercially, you need to tie people in for eighteen months so as not to go out of business, but thank you for your prompt reply and confirmation. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭eir: Adam

eir: Adam wrote: »
    Hi there;

Hi ElleDeeBaz,

Thanks for getting in touch. I'm afraid, if you are moving your services to a new address, you would be required to enter a new contract. You can view more information on this here: 

- Adam
    Ok thanks Adam - massively unimpressive and I can see why, commercially, you need to tie people in for eighteen months so as not to go out of business, but thank you for your prompt reply and confirmation. 
    No problem at all. Sorry I couldn't give you better news.

- Adam

Advertisement