Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retrospective Garda Vetting

Options
  • 31-07-2017 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭

I'm on a community employment scheme, and halfway through my 12 month contract and my place of work has introduced Garda vetting.

I have refused to do it because of the reasons it is being introduced which is a whole other thread. I have no issue with doing Garda vetting, I'm just making a stand against how another member of staff was treated.

I have been told I will be fired if I don't do the Garda vetting.

Can an employer actually do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I think in this day and age if Garda vetting is introduced to protect vulnerable people then you should do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

The Gardai changed the rules recently. It may be that your organisation is now within the criteria for vetting. It is a criminal offence for your boss not to vet you, if these are the circumstances. So yes you can be removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Look after yourself never mind what happened with someone else.
    You could refuse and they have no choice to let you go ,
    I personally rather not try to explain to a potential employer that you were taking off a CE scheme for refusing vetting might incure suspicion imo

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I have refused to do it because of the reasons it is being introduced which is a whole other thread. I have no issue with doing Garda vetting, I'm just making a stand against how another member of staff was treated.
    You'll be sacked for refusing to do the vetting.
    From the employers view, they'll get fined, and you not wanting to be vetted would raise lots of red flags, especially if you worked with any vulnerable people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

If it helps, the company I work with provide carer's, in the past it was only staff who came into contact with clients who needed to be vetted but in the last six or so months it is now a requirement for all staff to be vetted. I'm not sure if that came from the HSE or gardai but do know it wasn't the companies choice.

By refusing to be vetted you are potentially putting your job at risk and I'd find it hard to imagine an EAT finding in your favor if you were dismissed. If you have genuine concern's talk to some in HR, they should have a point of contact in the company who handles vetting and can hopefully put those concerns at ease.

"I have refused to do it because of the reasons it is being introduced which is a whole other thread. I have no issue with doing Garda vetting, I'm just making a stand against how another member of staff was treated"
    I'm genuinely curious, without naming the company or individuals can you elaborate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

Pataman wrote: »
    The Gardai changed the rules recently. It may be that your organisation is now within the criteria for vetting. It is a criminal offence for your boss not to vet you, if these are the circumstances. So yes you can be removed.

My understanding of it is that it only applies to people working with children and vulnerable adults which I don't work with. I've reluctantly agreed to do it anyway.
    Gillo wrote: »
    I'm genuinely curious, without naming the company or individuals can you elaborate?

A guy at work put his hand on the shoulder of a TY student and got reported to Tusla for child abuse and suspended from work by management and the board. He has since been cleared of any wrong doing by Tusla.

It was common knowledge at work that management and the board were trying to get rid of him before the incident actually happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Christ, that sounds awful the poor man. But look I would just let them do it sure your contract will probably be up before it is even finished.

Advertisement