Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop keyboard typing character errors

Options
  • 31-07-2017 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi all

I have a Samsung laptop with Microsoft Windows 8. Recently the keyboard is acting up with some characters typing other characters in error. So for example typing p comes up p7, pressing space bar results in ;. I thought maybe a virus but have run AVG and clear. I also did a clean up and uninstalled potential conflicting programmes and checked to see if needed update on keyboard driver needed but no joy as yet. Any thoughts much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,579 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Was there any spillage on the keyboard? Check that the Shift and CTRL keys are not locked down.

Use this to test what is coming up for each key when they are pressed...
    http://www.keyboardtester.com/tester.html

Roseviolet wrote: »
    Hi all

I have a Samsung laptop with Microsoft Windows 8. Recently the keyboard is acting up with some characters typing other characters in error. So for example typing p comes up p7, pressing space bar results in ;. I thought maybe a virus but have run AVG and clear. I also did a clean up and uninstalled potential conflicting programmes and checked to see if needed update on keyboard driver needed but no joy as yet. Any thoughts much appreciated.

Any chance Num Lock is on?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Roseviolet

Many Thanks Atlantic dawn and denartha. Num lock isn't on but when I press it it types two characters. I don't think there was any spillage. Ta for tip re keyboard tester...it's shown up over 12 errors!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,442 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

do you have Windows 8 or 8.1 installed as maybe an update may fix it?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Roseviolet

Hi Skerries

Many thanks reply. Yes it is Windows 8 . Do you mean updating to Windows 10?

• Advertisement
Advertisement