Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belfast for my mam

• 31-07-2017 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

So I was thinking of booking a weekend away in Belfast for my mam and she could bring a friend or her sister for her Christmas present. Any recommendations for hotels and such? I was thinking maybe the Fitzwilliam or Europa hotel but I have never really been so I wouldn't know what they are like. And if I book with my card would she need that to pay?
    All advice is really appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

slits wrote: »
    And if I book with my card would she need that to pay?

It's usually no big deal if you use a different card when you arrive. As long as they have a valid CC number at each stage of the operation - book/check-in/checkout, they're happy.

But as it's your mam, I'd phone ahead and make sure that there won't be any issues. Maybe do it a day or so before she arrives and you can offer to switch the booking to her card if she is going to pay when checking out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Fitzwilliam/Europa are perfectly fine for a weekend visit. Nice hotels (think most of the GoT cast stay in the Fitzwilliam) very close to the city centre. No problems at all.
    If it's over the Christmas be aware that the Christmas market will be on in City Hall so they should definitely pop in to see that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Hurricane-Dean

Hi,

Bit late to see this but sure anyway.

I'm living in Belfast the last 2 and a half years now, originally from Dublin. My sister, her partner and my niece were all up, unfortunately I've only a one bed apartment so it didn't work out, they stayed in the Clayton hotel, a 5min walk into the city centre. I called in to pick her up and it looked really nice inside, large reception, plenty of staff and all friendly, she said the rooms were comfortable and clean.

Make sure with whatever hotel it is, some pay in full there and then but some will pay on arrival so just be careful there.

As for your mam's time here a few recommendations from my own mammy who's been up, see if they are any use;
    • Titanic Museum (If she's that way inclined there is an outdoor segway tour and it's brilliant, yes my mammy did it and loved it ha)
    • St. Georges Market, you wouldn't spend too much here as it is a small venue, so many food, craft stalls to choose from it's a good start to a morning (if on a hangover, 6oz bacon cheeseburger from el toros and thank me later ha)
    • Belfast City Hall, nice tour around the building with a cafe at the end
    • Black cab tour (MUST DO) guided black cab tour through the divide with some great insight into the troubles
    • Shopping - city centre, victoria and castlecourt shopping centres are not far from each other and quite central (the dome on top of victoria sc has a nice view)
    • Food - depends on what they're into, stix and stones, granny annies, the washington, the yard bird are just a  few nice spots
    • Drink - EVERYWHERE there are tonnes of pubs, a shout out to the harp bar (great for live music) 21 social, similar but more modern to the harp, the dirty onion (part of the yard bird) ten square, the garrick, muriels again just a few
    If you're not sure about anything else just fire me a message

Advertisement