Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange behaviour from 21 month old

Options
  • 31-07-2017 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭

Hi

Hope you might advise please. We have a very chilled out 21 month old boy who is normally very happy and easy going and sleeps consistently 11 hours per night (7pm to 6pm).

A week and a half ago we were in Portugal for 11 nights and he behaved normally and continued to sleep perfectly. Should also point out that wife is 6 months pregnant with baby #2.

Then a few days after we got home he started waking up around 11pm and getting very worked up and angry, crying and whinging for 1-2 hours straight. We'd leave him cry it out sometimes to going back in and sitting next to cot to sooth him, until he eventually calms down and goes back to sleep. Never seen anything like this before - just wanted out of cot and to be with us and very bad tempered and upset. This has re-occurred for about 5 of the past 7 nights.

Also on Saturday he got sick and has slightly supressed appetite and then today in cre got sick again. He had high temp on Saturday but it went away that night and was normal again on Sunday.

He is normal during the day and in cracking form, goes for normal naps no issue. He has no other symptoms of being sick or having teething issues.

Also should point out we haven't spoken about baby #2 yet or anything but my wife suspects he may have noticed her belly etc. and may be acting out. When got sick today he had dropped him back to cre after a check-up for himself (unrelated - was a physio) and was very upset at being left back to creche around midday so the vomiting may be completely separate issue to waking up, which could be connected to pending baby #2 or else growth spurt etc.

Anyone any thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Has he got molars yet?

Our 21 month old went through multiple ear infections around that time.You wouldn't know it from her, she was in flying form, but that she would get sick eventually (as in vomit).Unfortunately it was at the same time as the arrival of no. 2 and we kind of wrote it off, until i got a doctor to check.Then realised she was getting four big molars at the same time.Great little teether, but they played havoc with her poor little self for quite a few weeks.

If he's getting sick and has a bit of a temperature etc, he's not quite right.I'd say he has a little bug or something.I doubt it's anything to do with no.2.Also their sleep goes funny around the age of 2, it's like their last big developmental hurrah :-) With the holiday etc, it wouldn't help so much either.Perseverance and keep an eye on him.He may need a trip to the doctor just to be sure.

Edit....just realised he's been sick on Sat, had a temp, and sick again today....I would say he has a bug of some sort.A check up might be advisable.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,575 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Whatever about anything else it is extremely unlikely that your not-quite-two year old has made any connection between your wife's expanding middle and any impact it may have on him.

If you have had a very biddable, easy baby till 21 months, then you have been very fortunate! Babies go through phases of odd behaviour, they just get over one then go onto another. Generally it is not important. If you are confident the baby is not sick, has not got something lurking from the holiday, for example, then just live with it, it will pass. I would think that a check up would be a good idea given the time between the holiday and the onset of the sickness though.

Advertisement