Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two Month Old - Restless Sleep

Options
  • 31-07-2017 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

Up until recently our two month old has been sleeping like a dream. However as of the last week or so she seems to be having very restless nights. She sleeps fine initially but then I awake as she's thrashing about the moses basket quite a bit, breathing is rapid and it almost seems like she's having a nightmare. She'll settle down but it can start again later in the night.

She's had her 8 week check which was fine and she's eating, pooping perfectly.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Hey Folks,

Up until recently our two month old has been sleeping like a dream. However as of the last week or so she seems to be having very restless nights. She sleeps fine initially but then I awake as she's thrashing about the moses basket quite a bit, breathing is rapid and it almost seems like she's having a nightmare. She'll settle down but it can start again later in the night.

She's had her 8 week check which was fine and she's eating, pooping perfectly.

Any suggestions?

Could just be going through a leap. You can expect (hope for) the next few months to follow a cycle of sleeping great to suddenly totally disrupted for a week and then back to sleeping great.

What's happening is quite normal. Your baby is only now starting to see the world properly and it's very stimulating.

Best you can do is to start putting bed time routines/rituals in place. Start winding down on any sort of stimulation an hour before nighttime. TBH, at 2 months I think you'd be doing fantastic to be getting more than 4 consecutive hours uninterrupted so a few night wakings are part of the package. At least though you can get some ground work in now for when she is 6 months old or so.

I'm recommending this for the second time today, but get yourself a copy of Lucy Wolfe - The Baby Sleep Solution. Brilliant book. Our little one has been sleeping through the night (bar the occasional hiccup, and mid night soother run) in her own room since 6 months and we 100% put it down to following that book. Obviously we still have a run of bad nights every now and then when she's going through a leap but mostly it's been great. Still getting up at around 6:30 every morning but that is heaven after several months of being up and down all night :)

Advertisement