Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build - do i need a cooler

Options
  • 31-07-2017 4:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭

I'm vernturing back to the world of desktops after years of laptops and doing a build.

I'm getting a MSI B350M GAMING PRO Mother Board and a Ryzen 3 1200 chip.

It says the chip comes with a wraith cooler....Do i need to buy a separate cooler.

I'm looking at 8 gb of ram for now and a gpu dopwn the road if i need it.

I'll just be using it for some photo editing.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Redfox25

The wraith cooler will be fine unless you're planning on doing serious overclocking down the road. From what your planning on doing with the system you will be 100% fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Every reviewer is able to get 3.7-3.9GHz overclocks on the Ryzen 3 with the bundled cooler, it's fine :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'm looking at 8 gb of ram for now and a gpu dopwn the road if i need it.

TIA

Unfortunately you will need one now, Ryzen doesn't have integrated graphics unlike Intel.

Something like a GT1030 would be ideal for full video decoding support, some of the older cheaper cards (like GT710) would not fully support h265, etc (which can be done on the CPU anyway so GT710 would still be fine).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Unfortunately you will need one now, Ryzen doesn't have integrated graphics unlike Intel.

Something like a GT1030 would be ideal for full video decoding support, some of the older cheaper cards (like GT710) would not fully support h265, etc (which can be done on the CPU anyway so GT710 would still be fine).

At least I don't have to spend much extra with not needing the cooler ;)

Just ordered my parts.
    Got a ryzen 3 1200, b350m mobo, 8 GB Corsair vengeance ram and a nvidia gt1030 gpu, thermaltake case and Corsair PSU.
    Sterling is 10% at the moment so a good time to buy.

Have as ssd, screen and keyboard.

Just a question..I've an SSD with win10 already on it for a laptop. Will it work as is or do I need to reinstall?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭wozniattack

Just ordered my parts.
    Got a ryzen 3 1200, b350m mobo, 8 GB Corsair vengeance ram and a nvidia gt1030 gpu, thermaltake case and Corsair PSU.
    Sterling is 10% at the moment so a good time to buy.

Have as ssd, screen and keyboard.

Just a question..I've an SSD with win10 already on it for a laptop. Will it work as is or do I need to reinstall?

You should do a clean install, as the hardware will be significantly different, and have different chipset drivers, and ID's.

You should do a clean install, as the hardware will be significantly different, and have different chipset drivers, and ID's.

That's what I thought.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭wozniattack

That's what I thought.:(

No need to worry mate, Windows 10 installs really quickly on and SSD; and that way you can be sure there won't be compatibility issues or conflicts with software.

I also recently build my father a Ryzen system, and the stock cooler in it is really good. Very quiet all around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

How much did it cost you in total?

Advertisement