Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering dropping out of college after my first year

Options
  • 31-07-2017 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

Long story short, I thought I was going into a course I wanted to do (business), it wasn't. I did however enjoy one module Business Information Systems.
    I failed 3 exams because I was planning on dropping out (but my parents hated the idea) and so i stayed put but had little to no interest in other modules, so I did not put much/any effort into the continuous assessment and as a result I have to repeat. Despite doing quite well in the exams.

I enjoy the field of IS, IT, software development, my main aspiration is to work for myself/own my own company in the future and that is what I am ultimately working towards.

I may very well go back to college in a couple of years, but between now and then I want to develop my programming skill set, learn simple stuff like web development, html, working on app development, working towards my certs in both programming and BIS, I want to apply for jobs (contractual stuff, projects not so much indefinite work) work towards areas such as blockchain, AI, do some of the simpler stuff too so I can progress from my part time job into full time 'tech work', I want to work to raise capital and learn about the market, see an area I could improve and work alongside my job to build a business from it.

I'm kind of treating as a skill more so than a college education, work and learn rather than theoretical knowledge, do some work for free of charge (update websites etc) just to have on my cv/portfolio and so I can learn as I go.
    I see software development more as a skill, like how a carpenter or plumber knows his craft.. (if that makes sense), I also want to get involved more with night classes, part time, or maybe diploma.. I might work towards a degree in software dev or CS in the future just so I can get into post grad and learn more about a specific niche.

But at the moment I hate college, I've enjoyed a year of going out and partying but ultimately it left me feeling like a waster, I just want to do something productive and I don't feel like I am learning (with the exception of IS) in college.

I might take a year work on all I've mentioned and reapply to the cao (aged 21) for CS, Software dev or BIS depending on which side I enjoy more as I progress through and work part time in the field I want while also being in college, the year out (part time job + what work I get through programming) could be put towards my college degree since the first year would be out of my pocket.

I also have the option of transferring to an IT college for BIS second year (previously arranged) but I am unsure.

Any advice on the whole situation? Everything's a bit up in the air at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

The first thing that strikes me is your brutal honesty. And this honesty is with yourself, a very, very important trait. That's a good start.

You are clear on what you want to do, but you feel like you are in a course that is just not doing it for you - it happens all the time, don't sweat it.

I'm going to cut to the chase here, in today's IT job market, whether you like it or not, you need a Level 8 honours degree. Unless you have 10+ industry experience, you will be working in menial, dead-end technology jobs that may put you off the IT industry for life. I've spoken to many employers on the merits of Level 7 vs. Level 8 and while not set in stone, the general consensus is to go for the Level 8. Not having either is a non-runner in terms of getting your foot in the door.

But all is not lost - you know what you want to do, you know what skill set you want to develop.

So why not transfer over to a pure Computer Science/Software Development course? It sounds like it is the right thing to do - you will be studying the subjects you enjoy, with less of the fluffy stuff. And I can say with certainty, if you get your Level 8, the jobs market is very healthy for such graduates and looks to continue that way for a long time.

Advertisement