Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Gates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

Hi I think you need to call the contractor out again and have someone with you to ask the questions. t's your gate so he has to give you the code.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭thadg

JBWexford wrote: »
    Hi, yes, 4,800 to include VAT (but overall, it's 5,000 to paint the gates too). People have said that 4k max would be reasonable. They seem like very genuine guys. I've no issue with paying but I hate paying above the odds when it's not necessary. It seems a lot considering that the cables are all fitted already from the house to the gate and the guide prices on their website (the company employing them) are a lot lower. 1,000 over budget feels a bit steep.

I've been quoted 2,600 for the automation alone (underground, CAME) and 1,950 + vat for the gate. I've read a few posts saying that Automation should be approx. 2k.

get a price for FAAC or DITEC electric gate system. Very good systems. Call National Automation for a number of an installer in your area. Most commercial premises use these systems. You should get your gates made, powder coated, installed and automated for under 4500 inc vat

• Registered Users Posts: 12 pango

Hi I think you need to call the contractor out again and have someone with you to ask the questions. t's your gate so he has to give you the code.
    Thank you. HE WONT CO-OPERATE. ELDERLY ARE ''CASH COWS''. I HAVE TO GET ADVICE FROM 'PSA''

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

When your gates were installed, you should have been given the manual with operational instructions, troubleshooting guide to minor issues etc, you paid for it, it’s yours. I have been able to sort out loads of minor issues by myself, and I am useless with tech or electrical stuff.

You have a few options:

Make a complaint to the PSA

Tell him you will go to Gardai or Joe Duffy if he doesn’t hand it over

Get a friend/family member/priest to make the approach on your behalf. Most people don’t like to be known in their community as unhelpful or of taking advantage of an elderly person.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,101 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Sorry to hear about your problem.

You could call out another contractor and get him to quote for the necessary repairs or replacement.

The chances are that an experienced gate fitter won't require any data or input from the old contractor.

• Advertisement

Thanks to all who answered.
    I hope the PSA. can recommend someone dependable

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

pango wrote: »
    I HAD AUTOMATED GATES BUILT AND FITTED BY AN ''PSA''REGISTERED CONTRACTOR SOME YEARS AGO AND OVER THE PAST 16 MONTHS HAVE COST ME 1400 EURO IN REPAIRS AND MAINTENANCE. I JUST CANNOT DEPEND ON THEM AND AS I LIVE ALONE, AM DEAF AND 84 YEARS OLD I FEEL VERY STRESSED AND VULNERABLE.
    AS THE CONTRACTOR HAS ALL THE CODES AND ELECTRIC DATA ETC AND BEEN THE ONLY ONE DEALING WITH THE GATES CAN I NOW CHANGE TO ANOTHER CONTRACTOR.
    I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO CONFIDENCE IN HIM ANY MORE

When you say some years ago, can I ask you please how many exactly?

Just a properly specified and installed gate automation system should not cost that sort of money in the short term to maintain.

Currently the only involvement that the PSA have with regard gate automation is on the administrative side of it.
    There is currently no standard in place for gate automation with regard to know how and other such technical experience etc.
    Perhaps your original installer had a PSA licence for Intruder Alarms or CCTV but this has nothing at all to do with gate automation.

My best advice to you would be to get a reputable company in to have a look at the existing installation because if these gates have only been automated in recent years, that amount of money spent on repairs seems odd to me.

Thanks kub, maybe you can explain to me why on his invoices he has an SSAIB certification stamp and also a PSA stamp and registration number. These have only started to appear on his invoices since last year 2019. Surely the LICENSE by the PSA must stand for something and a contractor having them should at least give some confidence to the customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,101 ✭✭✭✭elperello

He can't install or work on gates without the PSA registration.

https://www.psa.gov.ie/en/PSA/PSA%2060%20Access%20Gates.pdf/Files/PSA%2060%20Access%20Gates.pdf

He definitely won't want any bad reports going in to them but I doubt it is worth your while.
    At the end of the day you just want your gates working and an end to your business relationship with him.
    As Kub says just get someone to look at your gates and give you advice/quote.

Thanks kub, maybe you can explain to me why on his invoices he has an SSAIB certification stamp and also a PSA stamp and registration number. These have only started to appear on his invoices since last year 2019. Surely the LICENSE by the PSA must stand for something and a contractor having them should at least give some confidence to the customer.

I am sorry but I can only guess and make assumptions as to why he has various things on his invoices because I have zero idea who it is we are referring to.

Does he also do Security systems such as Intruder Alarms and CCTV etc ?
    Perhaps he fits the Intruder and CCTV systems to meet a certain standard ?

Believe me please when I say this, i am a licensed PSA contractor, I get audited every year to ensure that my certification is constantly valid and to the necessary standards.
    My auditors only check Intruder systems and CCTV systems which we have fitted.
    I have yet to be audited for any work in association with gate automation.
    Neither has any other company that I have heard of.

Currently the only standard that has anything to do with gate automation is purely on the paperwork end of it.

• Advertisement

Thanks again all you helpful people but you see my PROBLEM is a H & S issue with the gates. There is no sensitive obstacle detection and the gate leaves won't stop if something is passing through . Gates will not stay in the open position.
    I don't want to say who the Contractor is ,but I will let the forum know if and when my gates are safe and sorted. mile buiochas.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Again, just as a reminder.
    Please don't mention the contractor at all here
    Thank you

Thanks again all you helpful people but you see my PROBLEM is a H & S issue with the gates. There is no sensitive obstacle detection and the gate leaves won't stop if something is passing through . Gates will not stay in the open position.
    I don't want to say who the Contractor is ,but I will let the forum know if and when my gates are safe and sorted. mile buiochas.

Well it depends on when your gates were originally automated, you could bring the H&S issues to the attention of the Health and Safety Authority because they did issue a publication with regard to gate automation approx 2 years ago, so from there forward , I am sure they would be interested.
    However if before that, I feel they may not be but no harm in bringing it to their attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭RonTon

Question on automation of electric gates:
    Is it possible to have gates connected to a Wi-Fi setup easily? I have the option to put a SIM card in so you can ring but was looking to not do that
    Any advice appreciated

RonTon wrote: »
    Question on automation of electric gates:
    Is it possible to have gates connected to a Wi-Fi setup easily? I have the option to put a SIM card in so you can ring but was looking to not do that
    Any advice appreciated

Yes, that can be done.

Is this a whole new system or an existing one?

Just to give you an idea of what is out there, if it is new :

https://www.cameconnect.net/came/pages/index_en.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Sonoff units, the low voltage type, can be added to give voice control over wifi, Google home, Alexa etc

Cheers guys , it’s an existing automated gate,what I’d like to be able to do is control them with Alexa or widget on phone ,something like that ,was looking at trying to set up something like a broadlink hub but I don’t know if that would work ,I do have Wi-Fi that reaches the gate and a shed close .i also have security camera pointed at gate so I can check before opening.
    Any idea would the broadlink work ?

Broadlink RM Pro+ WiFi Smart Home Hub, IR RF All in One Automation Learning Universal Remote Control Compatible for Apple Android Smartphones, Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CNP9MGS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_8bSkEbZQ4W6M1

The fob I use is a Ditec
    Remote DITEC GOL4 C https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0177QV7F6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_fzSkEb0MGN7S7

Cheers guys , it’s an existing automated gate,what I’d like to be able to do is control them with Alexa or widget on phone ,something like that ,was looking at trying to set up something like a broadlink hub but I don’t know if that would work ,I do have Wi-Fi that reaches the gate and a shed close .i also have security camera pointed at gate so I can check before opening.
    Any idea would the broadlink work ?

Broadlink RM Pro+ WiFi Smart Home Hub, IR RF All in One Automation Learning Universal Remote Control Compatible for Apple Android Smartphones, Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CNP9MGS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_8bSkEbZQ4W6M1

The fob I use is a Ditec
    Remote DITEC GOL4 C https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0177QV7F6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_fzSkEb0MGN7S7

Ok, Stoner might be able to assist you with the home automation stuff.

But regardless of what you get to hook up with your wife, it will need to have a dry normally open contact which will need to be actually wired into your gate controller as opposed to trying to get the unit to communicate with the remotes or remote receiver, the frequency on those is miles away from wifi frequencies.

I ordered a sonoff rf hub ,gonna try that ,under €20 delivered so worth a punt ,hopefully it will read and learn the frequency , as far as I can tell mine isn’t a rolling code so it might work .
    If that doesn’t work I’ll try the broad link hub

Let us know how you get on.
    I want to do similar with my faac gate.
    I've been planing on modding my spare gate remote so a sonoff can pulse it.

• Advertisement

Let us know how you get on.
    I want to do similar with my faac gate.
    I've been planing on modding my spare gate remote so a sonoff can pulse it.

Will do , I think it will be a week or so before it arrives...

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭danny004

I ordered a sonoff rf hub ,gonna try that ,under €20 delivered so worth a punt ,hopefully it will read and learn the frequency , as far as I can tell mine isn’t a rolling code so it might work .
    If that doesn’t work I’ll try the broad link hub

I did this recently but had an existing button inside the hall to open the gates ,I bought a cheap wifi 1 channel switch from amazon and paralleled the switch with the button.
    The switch I then configured a routine in IFTTT and created a shortcut on my iphone so now I can say Hey Siri open the gates
    My wife has an android phone and thats even easier to configure saying OK Google but also you can create a perimeter around your home of like 500 meters so when the phone enters the perimeter then the gates start to open so by the time the car arrives they are already opened.
    Reason I put in the gates is family member makes gates and friend sells kits and installs . In 8 years they have never given a singe days trouble and although the box that holds the motor and hydraulic unit is not waterproof to any standard with proper soakaway you will never have trouble.
    I identify with people talking about snobery etc for electric gates but when I got then at the time the kids were young so it kept them in ,now kids are a little older they are just part of the house.
    Between 4 and 5k all in id say is about right

danny004 wrote: »
    I did this recently but had an existing button inside the hall to open the gates ,I bought a cheap wifi 1 channel switch from amazon and paralleled the switch with the button.
    The switch I then configured a routine in IFTTT and created a shortcut on my iphone so now I can say Hey Siri open the gates
    My wife has an android phone and thats even easier to configure saying OK Google but also you can create a perimeter around your home of like 500 meters so when the phone enters the perimeter then the gates start to open so by the time the car arrives they are already opened.
    Reason I put in the gates is family member makes gates and friend sells kits and installs . In 8 years they have never given a singe days trouble and although the box that holds the motor and hydraulic unit is not waterproof to any standard with proper soakaway you will never have trouble.
    I identify with people talking about snobery etc for electric gates but when I got then at the time the kids were young so it kept them in ,now kids are a little older they are just part of the house.

I just wouldn’t know where to wire a Wi-Fi switch in the box by the gate(waterproof box ,the company that did mine did a great job no problem in 5 years with it ,they gave me an option of putting in a phone sim but I didn’t want a monthly cost of that ) ,I’m hoping with my solution there’d be none of that wiring to the control box

So the Sonoff rf bridge came sooner than I expected,setup was easy but unfortunately it wouldn’t pair with the fob ...
    Back to the drawing board ...
    Any other suggestions welcome

danny004 wrote: »

Would u be able to give a description of what you did with the Wi-Fi switch ?
    I have a button in hall (wired) to open gate
    Thanks

So the Sonoff rf bridge came sooner than I expected,setup was easy but unfortunately it wouldn’t pair with the fob ...
    Back to the drawing board ...
    Any other suggestions welcome

A Sonoff will not pair with your gate remote, they are on totally different frequencies.
    The way a Sonoff is connected is that it gets paired with your Wifi.
    It then needs to be wired to the pulse input of your gate controller.
    Use the Common and Normally Open terminals of the Sonoff.
    Do you have a switch anywhere that you could use to connect the Sonoff unit to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭tech

was also looking at doing the same, I think you need the Sonoff Pro as this can be powered by a 12v power

If youd use a sonoff std switch , this would be 220v? and would fry the gate remote?

https://sonoff.tech/product/wifi-diy-smart-switches/4ch-r2-pro-r2

It’s a sonoff bridge that sends out a Rf signal, itlearns a signal that u pair it with ,works with up to 4 separate fobs/remotes with up to 4 buttons that I bought ,controllable through phone app ,if it did pair with fob it would has been perfect, my fob is a ditec GOL4 C ,as far as I could see the C model isn’t a rolling code so it could of worked , there’s many clips of it working with garage doors on YouTube but also examples of it not working...
    It’s was worth a punt I thought..
    I’m sure there is a place on on control box by gate a Wi-Fi switch could be added or somehow to add a Wi-Fi switch to the intercom/button in hall to open gate but I don’t know how to do that.
    If anyone knows where there’s a link to instructions how to do that I’d really appreciate it .
    Tyty

tech wrote: »

If youd use a sonoff std switch , this would be 220v? and would fry the gate remote?

https://sonoff.tech/product/wifi-diy-smart-switches/4ch-r2-pro-r2

Oh you need to make a mod to the sonoff.
    It's just cutting a trace on the PCB with a hacksaw.
    Turns it into a no voltage contact.
    Have a look on YouTube.

I went to do it last night but had used up my stock of sonoffs.

I might connect my sonoff to the intercom button.
    I have access to the cable up in the attic.

• Advertisement

It’s a sonoff bridge that sends out a Rf signal, itlearns a signal that u pair it with ,works with up to 4 separate fobs/remotes with up to 4 buttons that I bought ,controllable through phone app ,if it did pair with fob it would has been perfect, my fob is a ditec GOL4 C ,as far as I could see the C model isn’t a rolling code so it could of worked , there’s many clips of it working with garage doors on YouTube but also examples of it not working...
    It’s was worth a punt I thought..
    I’m sure there is a place on on control box by gate a Wi-Fi switch could be added or somehow to add a Wi-Fi switch to the intercom/button in hall to open gate but I don’t know how to do that.
    If anyone knows where there’s a link to instructions how to do that I’d really appreciate it .
    Tyty

My apologies I did not know there was such a selection of Sonoff products.

Technically what you are looking for is possible but gate remotes can be a tough one.
    Each manufacturer has their own models and even the same manufacturer has an array of same which will not function with others which the same manufacturer has.
    Then multiply that by the amount of different manufacturers out there and you have an issue.

You might be as well off to get a Sonoff unit with either a pair of dry contacts, or one with a 220v contact and run a 220v relay off same for a dry contact situation, but this will need to be hard wired to your controller ons way or another.

Advertisement