Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Background Check

Options
  • 01-08-2017 1:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi there! Looking for a bit of advice regarding a new job! So got a lovey new job offer and they aren't looking for references but are doing a background check. Now I've no records, no fines, am a pretty well behaved young one. But I have a very brief job a 4/5 years back that didn't work out and was advised not to put on my cv due to the length of time and the fact it didn't add much to my career. Now if this comes up in the background check, is this ok to say to them? I left the job on good terms, it just wasn't for me but I ever thought about the check so wouldn't like them to think anything dishonest is going on. Has anyone had a background check for a job done? thought it might just be criminal record at first but just trying to flag anything that potentially would come up, thanks y'all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

They won't find that. Most likely they will just take your CV and check that you worked where you said you did. They will also double check your qualifications are real.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

How long were you in the "brief" job?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cici999

I say it was about 6 weeks. Was over 4 years ago so I really can't remember exactly

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

cici999 wrote: »
    I say it was about 6 weeks. Was over 4 years ago so I really can't remember exactly

How many years back does the check go?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 narwhal

cici999 wrote: »
    Hi there! Looking for a bit of advice regarding a new job! So got a lovey new job offer and they aren't looking for references but are doing a background check. Now I've no records, no fines, am a pretty well behaved young one. But I have a very brief job a 4/5 years back that didn't work out and was advised not to put on my cv due to the length of time and the fact it didn't add much to my career. Now if this comes up in the background check, is this ok to say to them? I left the job on good terms, it just wasn't for me but I ever thought about the check so wouldn't like them to think anything dishonest is going on. Has anyone had a background check for a job done? thought it might just be criminal record at first but just trying to flag anything that potentially would come up, thanks y'all

I don't really see this being an issue. You are entitled to ask them what the background check looks into though, as it is your information. I don't personally know how they could find out about that 6 week job without it being on your CV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

My current employer carried out a background check. It just seemed to involve contacting previous employers to confirm I worked there. No other questions asked

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

One job I applied for was in the area of Finance and Insurance. Their background check consisted of criminal and credit checks, with 2 references from previous employers. Would prospective employers really go back 4 years, unless you've only had 1 or 2 jobs in that time?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

They could go back any amount of years, but unless one of the other employers tells them about the job you haven't mentioned, then they won't know about it.
    Worrying over nothing, they are working off your CV, that's the only way they know where you worked previously. They can't check tax records etc

Senna wrote: »
    They could go back any amount of years, but unless one of the other employers tells them about the job you haven't mentioned, then they won't know about it.
    Worrying over nothing, they are working off your CV, that's the only way they know where you worked previously. They can't check tax records etc

I have had background checks where if you had a gap in your cv you had to provide proof of travelling or being on social welfare etc

Advertisement