Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning chain

Options
  • 01-08-2017 9:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

I'd like to clean and regrease the chain on my bike. From what I remember I can use muc off to clean it or WD 40?

As for regreasing it, I think I have a thing of dry lube.

Is there anything else I should use instead of the dry lube?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

apply some de-greaser first, brands like Muc-Off have this.
    Give it a few minutes and then wash your chain with warm soapy water, bear in mind you should get in between the links also so an old toothbrush or two nail brushes sandwiched together with the chain in between them would work.
    Alternatively you can buy a dedicated nifty little thing called a chain bath/cleaner.

Dry your chain thoroughly to ensure the de-greaser is removed. Now apply your lube to the chain, personally I use wet lube as we live in Ireland which is typically wet! Dry lube would be fine too I guess, but perhaps offering less lubrication over the same time period.

Youtube has some good videos on drivetrain cleaning, GCN channel in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

This video is pretty good..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM6mzE5lQ0w

Advertisement