Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subbing during PME and European languages in primary schools

Options
  • 01-08-2017 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi Guys,

I started the PME in primary teaching in April 2017 and I am finding it hard to keep a full time job and do the course. I was wondering would it be possible to get subbing work now? I am registered with the teaching council and have my number etc. But I'm nervous to leave my job on the thought that MAYBE I will a days subbing every month or two.

I am also a fluent German and French speaker and I was wondering what is your opinion about approaching schools from this angle about language classes.

Thanks guys :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

With two languages you should get subbing. I would advise you to also crack on with advertising for grinds for the new school year. Don't forget to let revenue know so you can arrange tax but I think you could do really well on grinds. Where are you based? Also is your TP block placement ? Might be good to get the name out to schools now.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 rossoc

With two languages you should get subbing. I would advise you to also crack on with advertising for grinds for the new school year. Don't forget to let revenue know so you can arrange tax but I think you could do really well on grinds. Where are you based? Also is your TP block placement ? Might be good to get the name out to schools now.

I am primary PME which is my downfall there, just have an undergrad in languages. Currently I work through both languages but don't have experience in teaching them per se.

My next TP block is not until January so I have some free time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Well there is a shortage of language teachers at post primary but once you have the teaching council number they can still pay you no matter the level. Once you are fluent in the languages , students would be lucky to get you whether through subbing or grinds. I take it you are registered for further ed with the t council? Get your cv out to schools and get on the ETB sub panels (check individual sites). If I were you I would build up my experience of all levels and keep the grinds going. Was very hard to get French grinds in my area this year for students.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 rossoc

Well there is a shortage of language teachers at post primary but once you have the teaching council number they can still pay you no matter the level. Once you are fluent in the languages , students would be lucky to get you whether through subbing or grinds. I take it you are registered for further ed with the t council? Get your cv out to schools and get on the ETB sub panels (check individual sites). If I were you I would build up my experience of all levels and keep the grinds going. Was very hard to get French grinds in my area this year for students.

That is great advice, thank you! Yeah I am register through the FE track. I will start looking into it now, as I don't feel like a teacher at the moment working in an office. I would love to get involved in education and if I get to use my languages, that's a great bonus.

Ross

Advertisement