Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSc in UCD application - but no primary degree. How to apply?

• 01-08-2017 10:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I've no primary degree as only completed 2 years of a 4 year course.
    I'm now in my early 30s and am looking for a career change.
    Can I still apply to do a MSc part time?
    What's the best approach?
    Should I email the relevant department with my background story?
    Any input or advice (especially if someone has done similar) is v much appreciated.
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 iwangmeng

You'll need at least 2.1h degree to apply for the MSc.
    Maybe you should try to finish your 2/4 degree first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

iwangmeng wrote: »
    You'll need at least 2.1h degree to apply for the MSc.
    Maybe you should try to finish your 2/4 degree first?

Is that definite though?
    I've been advised by a career coach that this isn't the case and have seen other threads that others have done it.
    Apprently because I have years of full time work experience, that would play in my favour? And apparently many colleges are just happy to get the money in?
    The degree course i Left was something I wasn't that interested in, but the MSc I've found is something I'm genuinely passionate about.
    I was more hoping to hear from others who have done such and advice on best way to apply if any further work is needed.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

This day and age, institutions are not going to turn away fee-paying students.

In some cases, if you can demonstrate substantial and relevant work experience in an area related to the MSc, you may be considered for entry.

Ring (at this late stage don't email) the admissions office and ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Thanks all.
    I'll give them a ring and will push it as best I can.
    I appreciate all the replies

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

You're probably pretty late for this year (especially if its a popular course)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Thanks all.
    I'll give them a ring and will push it as best I can.
    I appreciate all the replies
    If you have contact details for the course coordinator it'd be no harm giving them a shout as well.

....... wrote: »

Its definitely possible. Ive had a few lecturers tell me I should do it to augment my career. Never been inside a college, except to give talks. I thought not having a bachelors would prevent me doing an Msc, but if you have relevant industry experience you can be elligible.
    I don't doubt there are plenty of unaccredited colleges offering degree and masters programs and waiving minimum requirements to get the money in, but I'd be very surprised if UCD was doing it.

One of the aforementioned lecturers works for UCD.

• Advertisement

You're probably pretty late for this year (especially if its a popular course)
    Tom Dunne wrote: »
    This day and age, institutions are not going to turn away fee-paying students.

:)
    endacl wrote: »
    If you have contact details for the course coordinator it'd be no harm giving them a shout as well.

It's August. I'd say getting hold of them will be pretty difficult.

Ring the Admissions office, and you will most likely be put through to the faculty office.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

:)

It's August. I'd say getting hold of them will be pretty difficult.

Ring the Admissions office, and you will most likely be put through to the faculty office.

I had a friend apply for the MSc In Management last year, 10+ years experience but he didnt even get called for an interview. He was told he didnt meet the criteria for exceptional entry

Edi: Sorry just to clarify this, he did meet the criteria, however with the limited places there were other "more qualified exceptional candidates"

I had a friend apply for the MSc In Management last year, 10+ years experience but he didnt even get called for an interview. He was told he didnt meet the criteria for exceptional entry.

Wow, that is a surprise. I suppose it's supply and demand. You would think institutions would be only too delighted for people of that calibre to take their programmes.

Wow, that is a surprise. I suppose it's supply and demand. You would think institutions would be only too delighted for people of that calibre to take their programmes.

I know the MiM is oversubscribed every year, i applied a couple of years back very early and got in, but the schedule didnt suit so went to DCU.

My friend was told, if he had applied for a different course he would have got in (most likely)

Ok, now I see your clarification, it makes a bit more sense - limited places.

That's a whole different kettle of bananas.

Anyway, whiskeyman - let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Lots of master degrees take in people with relevant experience in lui of undergrad degree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭Hellywelly

The 7 ROI universities accept candidates on a case by case basis under a policy called RPL (recognition of prior learning). That learning can be formal (certs from short courses or similar) or informal (experience from work or similar). If you search RPL in each universities site you'll see their policy (including the exclusions) and how to apply.

Advertisement