Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a 2nd bike

Options
  • 01-08-2017 10:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

I have a good hybrid bike that I bought recently that I use for commuting to work. It's a good bike and I've no complaints about it however it is a touch heavy (between 16 and 19kgs).

I try to get out for longer spins in the evenings or weekends of maybe 10-20 miles and part of me would like a lighter road bike for those longer spins. However if I went that route I'd want something that's still comfortable and maybe with mudguards too.

Can you get light road bikes that are still comfortable? I'm wondering if the riding position would be that comfortable compared to a hybrid.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

veganrun wrote: »
    Can you get light road bikes that are still comfortable? I'm wondering if the riding position would be that comfortable compared to a hybrid.

Takes a little while to adjust, but a drop bar road bike is considerably more comfortable than a hybrid over longer distances. You're looking for something with relaxed geometry which can take slightly wider tyres and has eyelets for mudguards from the sound of things. Plenty of options available. What type of budget do you have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Hmmm not sure, I guess I'm thinking less than £300 but maybe that's not realistic. My company has a limited bike to work scheme so I would be buying it outright myself.

£300 is a bit light for a new road bike. Only thing that springs to mind which has a decent reputation at that price is the Triban; https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-500-se-road-bike-id_8306187.html

Yeah was thinking £300 might be tricky. I could pay more but I don't want to go too far. I'd say the limit I'd be willing to spend is £400-450

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Buy second hand, €500 will get you a bike which cost €1000 a year or two ago and so will be a higher spec and more than likely much lighter than anything you'd buy new for €400/500 now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

smacl wrote: »
    £300 is a bit light for a new road bike. Only thing that springs to mind which has a decent reputation at that price is the Triban; https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-500-se-road-bike-id_8306187.html
    Does that deliver to Ireland though? Would Halford's be considered much worse?

Does that deliver to Ireland though? Would Halford's be considered much worse?

Given the OP mentioned £300 and 20 miles, I'm guessing they're north of the border. Here on the mainland we use euros and KMs :P

Haha yes I'm in the north and Decathlon are within range.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 davidfo

I have the triban and I would recommend it. It is very good spec for 300 pounds and you won't get much better for less than 500. If anything buy it and upgrade the wheels to a better set with the remaining money.

davidfo wrote: »
    I have the triban and I would recommend it. It is very good spec for 300 pounds and you won't get much better for less than 500. If anything buy it and upgrade the wheels to a better set with the remaining money.

Is there any way of getting this delivered to Ireland? I need a basic road bike for next week and not seeing anything on Donedeal around me. It's either this or Halfords it seems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

Is there any way of getting this delivered to Ireland? I need a basic road bike for next week and not seeing anything on Donedeal around me. It's either this or Halfords it seems
    I have a Halfords carrera vanquish it's actually a grand bike to cover bigger distances I've done about 400km on mine in a little over a month my only complaint was the shimano Claris gears were not adjusted at all anyway near the way there meant to function,I spent about an hour tweaking the cable tension and high and low stops.....it works flawlessly now.
    Grand bike for handy money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Decathlon are opening in Dublin, not sure where or when but they were advertising for staff recently.

Was browsing around Halfords earlier and saw one of these http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/boardman-hybrid-comp-bike-2016

Half tempted as a winter bike / run around. Thoughts?

tikkamark wrote: »
    I have a Halfords carrera vanquish it's actually a grand bike to cover bigger distances I've done about 400km on mine in a little over a month my only complaint was the shimano Claris gears were not adjusted at all anyway near the way there meant to function,I spent about an hour tweaking the cable tension and high and low stops.....it works flawlessly now.
    Grand bike for handy money.

Thanks I'll go in and look at it - did you get the disc brakes one?

Is it possible to get muguards for the Triban? I was in Decathlon yesterday and saw a few models, the 100 and 500 I think, nice looking bikes. Would want puncture resistant tyres though.

veganrun wrote: »
    Is it possible to get muguards for the Triban? I was in Decathlon yesterday and saw a few models, the 100 and 500 I think, nice looking bikes. Would want puncture resistant tyres though.

The 100 isn't a great bike from what I hear, much better going for the 500. Pretty sure it takes mudguards as was voted commuter bike of the year one time

Seems like the Triban is popular based on stock levels on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 davidfo

When I got my bike there they said they delivered to the south for around 20 euro

When I got my bike there they said they delivered to the south for around 20 euro

Thanks will see if I can order online

Thanks will see if I can order online

This is splashed across the front page of their site at the moment :
    Dear valued customers,
    In order to serve you better and improve our eCommerce logistics process, our Decathlon Ireland team is moving to Dublin this September.
    During the transition, our website will be suspended from August 1st and we are unfortunately unable to proceed with new orders. We expect to be back to serve you from September 1st!
    Orders placed before July 31st will still be processed but please expect some delays for a couple of days
    Our customer service team will still be available to answer your inquiries within 2-3 days.

Parcel Motel or similar service maybe not sure how they deal with larger items like a bike sized box though?

• Advertisement
Advertisement