Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bloggers / Influencers releasing products [Please read note in post #966]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Mzo1978

Im so surprised to see betty + biddy mentioned on tge scammers page i only hope stella and dot arent next

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭gossipgirl10

http://z-palmer.wixsite.com/zoeelizabeth/single-post/2017/07/13/Taylor-Rose-Launch-Party---The-Details

"Tuesday just gone was the launch party of the new brand Taylor and Rose. If you haven't heard by now Taylor and Rose is a new luxury hair accessory brand designed founded by Irish blogger Ciara O'Doherty."

"The pieces are hand made and to my surprise the prices are extremely reasonable (12e - 145e)."

So how did everyone at the launch party come away thinking they are handmade and designed by Ciara herself? They all must have been totally mistaken *eyeroll*

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SpillingTheTea

Handmade , yeah probably by someone in a factory in China

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Has there been any comment?

I have a very vague recollection from ages back of Jennifer Wrynne saying she wasn't going to be doing custom made bridal pieces any more that things were so busy in her shop etc and something had to give but that they would still have some ready made ones available to buy? Did she realise the time and effort she was putting into custom orders for brides wasn't worth it when she could sell the cheap imports instead.

I think that is really bad form it definitely takes from her own designs and brand which are beautiful. Her website says all of the stufff is made by hand by Jennifer so people could easily buy the aliexpress ones and be under the impression that it was something Jennifer handmade

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭wyrn

The prices on Ali Express seem too good to be true in some cases. I wonder what the quality is like in real life and if you can tell by holding it that it's on the cheap side. I know I've a few head pieces from Penneys over the years that look more expensive than they are but you wouldn't be able to tell it's Penneys unless you hold it.

Wonder if those earrings, headpieces and clutches feel cheap from the different influencers vs Ali Express. Like with the clutches you can tell a cheap bag by the lining on the inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭blairbear

wyrn wrote: »
    Wonder if those earrings, headpieces and clutches feel cheap from the different influencers vs Ali Express. Like with the clutches you can tell a cheap bag by the lining on the inside.

But there is no influencers vs Ali Express.. They are the exact same product. They will all feel the exact same.

They're Penney's quality or worse, I would imagine.

Ya I think some people are still missing the point here they aren't similar items on aliexpress they are the actual same items. You can see the buyers initials and the Irish flag on the transaction history on some of the listings.

People are hilarious some comments on the Instagram page saying no I think it's a different bag they do look similar though when it is the actual exact same bag! But ya you are dead right they are totally different bags and one is totally worth an extra €50+

blairbear wrote: »
    But there is no influencers vs Ali Express.. They are the exact same product. They will all feel the exact same.

They're Penney's quality or worse, I would imagine.
    But that's my point. If you bought one of those items from one of the influencers and saw that the quality doesn't match the price point - would there not be more outrage from people sending them back? I know if I bought a fancy clutch bag for over a €100 and the quality was terrible, I'd send it back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Lougarden

The prices on Ali Express seem too good to be true in some cases. I wonder what the quality is like in real life and if you can tell by holding it that it's on the cheap side. I know I've a few head pieces from Penneys over the years that look more expensive than they are but you wouldn't be able to tell it's Penneys unless you hold it.

I've received some shocking quality items from there but also some really good bits that I've seen in shops (with a bit of markup) but not €100. I think the thing is you use a wedding headpiece (supposed to be delicate) and/or a clutch bag as a one off for a wedding (again supposed to be delicate) so you don't manhandle like a regular high-street one but it doesn't get used again or much. They've hit the market of people wanting something to look so special and unique but putting it to their own name. A lot of the stuff holds fine for the occassion (because a lot of those bits, well they never feel amazing to hold. they're different, we don't use a clutch every day / so concerned with lining)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I wonder will those who paid full price (if anyone) for the items will get a refund for the difference now she has marked them down? They should.

But that's my point. If you bought one of those items from one of the influencers and saw that the quality doesn't match the price point - would there not be more outrage from people sending them back? I know if I bought a fancy clutch bag for over a €100 and the quality was terrible, I'd send it back.

You'd be surprised at how blind some people can be to quality when a bit of blogger tat comes before their eyes

Lougarden wrote: »
    I've received some shocking quality items from there but also some really good bits that I've seen in shops (with a bit of markup) but not €100. I think the thing is you use a wedding headpiece (supposed to be delicate) and/or a clutch bag as a one off for a wedding (again supposed to be delicate) so you don't manhandle like a regular high-street one but it doesn't get used again or much. They've hit the market of people wanting something to look so special and unique but putting it to their own name. A lot of the stuff holds fine for the occassion (because a lot of those bits, well they never feel amazing to hold. they're different, we don't use a clutch every day / so concerned with lining)
    Yeah that's true. I was just wondering if the bridal hear gear was metal or plastic. A lot of it looks very delicate and it's the kinda of thing that might photograph better than it looks in real life.

Like this piece - can you get a metal head piece with "pearls" for €6.11?
    It seems to good to be true (I know it doesn't say metal but it doesn't look like plastic in the pic)

I'm just thinking of all those memes of dresses (usually ballgowns or prom dresses) that people have ordered online and they look nothing like what they are supposed to.

anna080 wrote: »
    I wonder will those who paid full price (if anyone) for the items will get a refund for the difference now she has marked them down? They should.

good point!, she made a mistake I think marking them down, exposed further in a dilemma - she should have put up a response instead. People won't want a partial refund now, they'll want answers and if none full refund through consumer affairs for misguidance if proven.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cria

Can’t believe how this has taken off delighted to see these companies being exposed.. i’m Laughing here every page I’ve read here there is an ad for Taylor and rose :D

• Advertisement

Yeah that's true. I was just wondering if the bridal hear gear was metal or plastic. A lot of it looks very delicate and it's the kinda of thing that might photograph better than it looks in real life.

It seems to good to be true (I know it doesn't say metal but it doesn't look like plastic in the pic)

I'm just thinking of all those memes of dresses (usually ballgowns or prom dresses) that people have ordered online and they look nothing like what they are supposed to.
    OK so that Tara head piece I quoted isn't showing up on the website any more.

But the cached version from the 20th September shows it to be the same that's shown on the Instagram page. It looks like it's been pulled from the JW website. I wonder if any of the other pieces are too.

EDIT: My bad, it hasn't been pulled but it's now here.

anna080 wrote: »
    You'd be surprised at how blind some people can be to quality when a bit of blogger tat comes before their eyes

Exactly don't forget she had a launch party with lots of small time bloggers and some press people there who were all raving about the pieces which they saw in person. I saw a comment too before where someone asked will she have any pop up shops and she said she was working on it so surely then people would see that in the flesh without the nice styling they look fairly average.

It's hit and miss and by the looks of C****D. transactions on Aliexpress, she's tested out a few. Some do look ok, she's worked that out for her 'collection'. Thing is though, that girl is a model with great hair, the product looks appealing. I know I have crap hair and wouldn't pull that off, some don't..and buy.

As we get older we forget the trends and know what we defo can't wear (but not always :) ), the likes of the debs girls (tonight there are some for example!) would pay for that online for €80 (or their Mam's as a present) and would wear it hell or highwater... it's the trend. (I wore a feather boa to mine ha ha back in the 90's..thank god it was €2 though, even without Aliexpress).

<removed>
    No ignore me, that was completely my fault. It is up but it's on a different page here.

I had googled the name and selected the top result which is what gave me the first post. But I went to double check (mea culpa, I should have done this before posting) and manually searched on the website and found it.

Yea you really need to have the look and hair to pull them off. Reminds me of the time I ordered a flower crown from Asos. I tried it on and just laughed at myself and fired it in the bin.

• Advertisement

<removed>
    No ignore me, that was completely my fault. It is up but it's on a different page here.

I had googled the name and selected the top result which is what gave me the first post. But I went to double check (mea culpa, I should have done this before posting) and manually searched on the website and found it.

Thanks for the clarification Hun x

Thanks for the clarification Hun x
    It's weird why it's on a different page. I searched again using the same keywords (jennifer wrynne tara piece) and the new link doesn't show up on the first page. That's how I got caught out.

I don't know if it's been mentioned but I spotted on the new page for the Tara head piece (not sure if it was on the old one) this FAQ. Wonder if it might be new.

​FAQ:
    Does Jennifer make the Jewellery / Jewelled headpieces?
    No! Jennifer makes all the beautiful hats on this website but we buy the Jewellery and Jewelled headpieces from a range of Irish and International Designers.

It makes a really interesting case study on marketing/pr

Do they go all Michael O'L about it ''bleuggh what did you expect, diamonds and 18CT???'' about it

or pull it down and move on and get the oul dignity back knowing they'll never get away with MOL marketing :)

It's weird why it's on a different page. I searched again using the same keywords (jennifer wrynne tara piece) and the new link doesn't show up on the first page. That's how I got caught out.

I don't know if it's been mentioned but I spotted on the new page for the Tara head piece (not sure if it was on the old one) this FAQ. Wonder if it might be new.

but why say they buy from Irish? are they buying from COD?

(meant to quote following) ​FAQ:
    ​Does Jennifer make the Jewellery / Jewelled headpieces?
    No! Jennifer makes all the beautiful hats on this website but we buy the Jewellery and Jewelled headpieces from a range of Irish and International Designers.

(and why not mention these designers that are so lucky to be on a designer's page that had integrity?, help you're circle? / kudos and support and the likes)

No that wasn't there earlier today

but why say they buy from Irish? are they buying from COD?

(meant to quote following) ​FAQ:
    ​Does Jennifer make the Jewellery / Jewelled headpieces?
    I presume the "international designers" might be the likes of Ali Express. The FAQ makes it sound a lot more upmarket than it probably is.

All of that jewellery details, packaging etc info on the listing is newly added (today even). When I looked at that it had the picture the name of the piece and the price there was nothing further written below it.

They obviously thought it would be too suss to just put in the FAQ so added in the shipping details etc to make it less obvious.

The thing is, changing the FAQ still doesn’t explain the high markup

All of that jewellery details, packaging etc info on the listing is newly added (today even). When I looked at that it had the picture the name of the piece and the price there was nothing further written below it.

They obviously thought it would be too suss to just put in the FAQ so added in the shipping details etc to make it less obvious.

someone I know has asked for clarification because they are a customer and wondering too. they've asked about the instagram page and if details are being changed on the website today but sure again probably a case of silence, who knows. mad what people do be getting up to altogether on the internet at night :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Ray37 wrote: »
    I'm really hoping a website or a journo picks up on this, The Journal had a piece up during the week about shoddy cosmetics being sold in Ireland, I was half wondering were they referring to white label ones? Maybe this would be of interest to them.
    I'm a journalist but unfortunately, I only do tech. I'd say Colette Sexton from Sunday Business Post is your best bet especially as she is following the Instagram account and Conor Pope is worth talking to as well.

But if you really want to get these bloggers attention then the only place that can do that is Joe Duffy's Liveline.

I also have to say well done on the sleuthing and keep up the work.

• Advertisement

COD has deleted also any questions from FB earlier

Edit: and any that liked the q's! oh my!

Can't take listening....tell me not the same

Project 10 Podcast

''Ciara O'Doherty on Turning Down €10k
    Would you be able to turn down €10,000 from a brand from a campaign?

That's some of the money being thrown at influencers, Ciara O Doherty is one of the few who said no.''

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Mzo1978 wrote: »
    Im so surprised to see betty + biddy mentioned on tge scammers page i only hope stella and dot arent next

Omg no way! I've come close to ordering off them. I'm not on Instagram is there another way to see it or do I need to sign up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Can someone send me on a link to the instragram page..cant wait to show a few at work who swear by some of these people.
    I really hope the likes of conor pope or philip bourcher hayes would take the likes of this on.
    i do feel sorry for some of the hard working bloggers/designers though.it only takes a few to ruin it dor everyone. I said it before and say it again revenue could do with looking into this "industry" too
    actually I was listenig to drivetime on newstalk yesterday going home from work. They had the chef from Champne in Killkenny who wouldnt give the blogger the free meals. A guy from a bloggers group came on and was discussing the difference between bloggers and blaggers..a true blogger doesnt go around seeking freebies

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭laylag

I've bought a few necklaces from Betty n biddy and they weren't cheap but they looked fab on the website. When they came k have to say the quality wasnt what I expected at all for the price.
    I ended up keeping them but only wore them once or twice as the jewel parts on the necklace kept flipping over and I was constantly having to fix it to keep it in place.

COD has deleted also any questions from FB earlier

Edit: and any that liked the q's! oh my!

Can't take listening....tell me not the same

Project 10 Podcast

''Ciara O'Doherty on Turning Down €10k
    Would you be able to turn down €10,000 from a brand from a campaign?

That's some of the money being thrown at influencers, Ciara O Doherty is one of the few who said no.''

Yep there was a comment by a follower on her own Facebook on the launch video asking if she designed the collection herself. The comment has sat there unanswered for 11 weeks and all of a sudden it's gone today.

She is definitely preparing her "I never said I made them" response

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Just checked out betty and biddy there, the price seems to be in line with River Island/ Oasis / Zara jewellery which seems fair enough.

Have they claimed to be designers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭scarbouro

Can someone send me on a link to the instragram page..

https://www.instagram.com/irishbloggerscammer/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭scarbouro

I see COD replied to a girl yesterday on the Taylor and rose Instagram page who wrote 'So gorge' under the retro flame post but deleted any other comments left. She's unbelievable. She's making herself look even worse. Have the balls to make a statement and explain yourself instead of deleting everything.

Do you think the press statement will be on the Six One or the Nine O clock news :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Mzo1978

Ciara can delete on instagram but she cannot bldelete off Facebook if u leave a comment to rate can she. She has a personal page and a Taylor and rose page..... just seen on Facebook the let's not be ripped off page has questioned her numerous times on facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭wolfmoon87

Mzo1978 wrote: »
    Ciara can delete on instagram but she cannot delete off Facebook if u leave a comment to rate can she. She has a personal page and a Taylor and rose page..... just seen on Facebook the let's not be ripped off page has questioned her numerous times on facebook

I think that's only if there's a review option on the page, which I don't think she has.

I honestly think one of the beauty / lifestyle websites or magazines will write a soft piece about this with replies from the influencers which will make us feel sorry for them. It'll be things like "people on the internet are trying to tear us down by ripping us to shreds but it's so hard in this industry and for female entrepreneurs etc..."

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

mod

Gmajor1991 Please read the charter. You need to be a Boards member for three months and have more than 50 posts to post here. When you fulfil these criteria you are welcome to rejoin the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭wendydoll

Just catching up on the post from yesterday, I am actually disappointed JW added that bit about the jewellery, clutches and headpieces.

​FAQ:
    ​Does Jennifer make the Clutches?

No! Jennifer makes all the beautiful hats on this website but we buy the Jewellery and Clutches from a range of Irish and International Designers.

I really respected her but adding that on the quiet just makes her seem very snakey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

Can someone send me on a link to the instragram page..cant wait to show a few at work who swear by some of these people.
    I really hope the likes of conor pope or philip bourcher hayes would take the likes of this on.
    i do feel sorry for some of the hard working bloggers/designers though.it only takes a few to ruin it dor everyone. I said it before and say it again revenue could do with looking into this "industry" too
    actually I was listenig to drivetime on newstalk yesterday going home from work. They had the chef from Champne in Killkenny who wouldnt give the blogger the free meals. A guy from a bloggers group came on and was discussing the difference between bloggers and blaggers..a true blogger doesnt go around seeking freebies

If that's the way it Is, i.e. "a true blogger doesn't go around seeking freebies ", then Sue and MUF are most definitely not bloggers. #biggestbeggarsoutthere

• Advertisement

Some idiots on the instagram page thinking Ali express are stealing bloggers designs! What is wrong with these people! They are all brainwashed or cyber sheep!

Sure if they want to pay over the odds for costume jewellery take your bloggers advice and if you don't like unfollow Hun lol!

wendydoll wrote: »
    Some idiots on the instagram page thinking Ali express are stealing bloggers designs! What is wrong with these people! They are all brainwashed or cyber sheep!

Sure if they want to pay over the odds for costume jewellery take your bloggers advice and if you don't like unfollow Hun lol!

someone on the insta page searched some of them there on facebook and put up that they found they are friends with the bloggers :D It's unreal

wendydoll wrote: »

If you handed them a headpiece in the taylor and rose packaging and then handed them that exact one from ali express these people would tell you that clearly the taylor and rose one is much better quality they are away with the fairies.

Yes sellers on aliexpress copy other designers but you can rest assured those designers are not Irish bloggers.

Can they not see also that the transaction history on any particular one of those headpieces goes back long before taylor and rose ever existed. And that there about 50 different listings from different sellers selling the same items do they think that everyone in China has all of a sudden decided to copy Ciara's ground breaking new designs.

Give me a break... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭heyjude88

someone on the insta page searched some of them there on facebook and put up that they found they are friends with the bloggers :D It's unreal

Then called the poster a stalker :D

It's actually hilarious them defending them!

Sure order stuff on Ali express and it's "rarely" the same item! WTAF?! I ordered loads in the last few weeks, everything was the same as pictures!

Wouldn't you love to buy loads of things from AliExpress and these "bloggers" and do the accessories version of the Pepsi challenge 😂😂

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement