Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bloggers / Influencers releasing products [Please read note in post #966]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

Missed all that. I really didn't think it was 16 weeks, even so that's only 4 months.
    Even the primary school teacher she's aiming the classes at don't make that, after two years of college so I don't know why they'd be saying shut up and take my money.
    Meh, maybe they are.

Missed all that. I really didn't think it was 16 weeks, even so that's only 4 months.
    Even the primary school teacher she's aiming the classes at don't make that, after two years of college so I don't know why they'd be saying shut up and take my money.
    Meh, maybe they are.

Primary teachers train for 4 years in college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I've no experience of personal training so I can't comment on how much value €45 per hour represents. The closest reference point I have is my yoga class which costs €15/16 off the street. However if I pop on my business hat, and I think about placing a value on time, it doesn't seem way OTT.

What's the average "occupancy"? i.e. classes only 50% of the time, clients cancelling or not showing up?? Then I'm assuming Rosemary is self-employed and has to purchase professional insurance or indemnity of some kind, plus other run costs. It's probably not the money spinner it appears to be.

End of the day, it's a service and people can choose either or not they want to buy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

For me it's more to do with her flaky nature, and personally I wouldn't want to give money to begin a programme with someone who could change her mind next week and decide she wants to become a pilot or something.
    Just my personal opinion.
    Each to their own though, and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

It'scompletely not amoney spinner. My friend is a PT and has to pay €700 a month to "rent" the gym she's in, which ishuge. She works part-time in Aldi too.
    It's just expensive for a potential client because the trainer has high overheads.

Still, everyone is a PT now it seems. Also, what anna080 said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I think that's a really mean spirited comment Anna. It's not easy for anyone to move into a new career. As long as I've been following Rosemary, she's been weight training and hasn't flaked out on it. She clearly enjoys it so why shouldn't she want to help others get into it?

Best of luck Rosemary, hope it works out for you!

LizT wrote: »
    I think that's a really mean spirited comment Anna. It's not easy for anyone to move into a new career. As long as I've been following Rosemary, she's been weight training and hasn't flaked out on it. She clearly enjoys it so why shouldn't she want to help others get into it?

Not intended to be mean spirited. It's just my opinion.
    Of all the comments here lately I get called out for being mean spirited for saying she seems flaky?
    Okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭theoldbreed

Must say I agree. I am no fan of Rosemary at all at all but the way this thread has gone has made me uncomfortable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Must say I agree. I am no fan of Rosemary at all at all but the way this thread has gone has made me uncomfortable.

Agree I don't know why Rmac is even getting mentioned in this thread she hasn't released any products, just changed career.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭laylag

I don't think Anna is being mean spirited. To me rosemary seems to jump from one fad to the next, then completely back track and this seems like another one to me. This is just an observation I've had with following her in the past...I've no issue with rosemary herself and fair play to her if she proves me wrong. I like some of her writing and find her funny in general but I didn't like her article today at all. Again this is just my personal opinion no offence meant to rosemary or anyone else on the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭blairbear

Rosemary is certainly selling a product. Personal trainer sessions are akin to gym memberships. They are services that you pay for.

Any diligent follower of Rosemary would recognise that Anna makes a pertinent point; she is quite changeable. Hopefully this is the right career choice for her, but I would also prefer someone more established. 45e a session is no joke financially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Rmc does have a tendency to jump from project to project and while she may have been weight training for a short while that and a few months course isn't what I'd look for in a pt.

My own cousin is a pt, she has been into fitness all her life - running marathons, doing weights, swimming, you name it she's done it! She spent over a year doing courses in nutrition and personal training before she considered herself qualified and still does mini courses to keep up to speed.
    That's the type of pt I'd want if I ever joined a gym... Not that it would happen :D

Didn't rmc give up being a vegetarian because she wasn't getting enough protein or something? Hopefully she learned how to deal with that if she's advising others on nutrition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

blairbear wrote: »
    Rosemary is certainly selling a product. Personal trainer sessions are akin to gym memberships. They are services that you pay for.

Any diligent follower of Rosemary would recognise that Anna makes a pertinent point; she is quite changeable. Hopefully this is the right career choice for her, but I would also prefer someone more established. 45e a session is no joke financially.

I pay 150 per session for a PT. If you head over to the fitness forum you'll see that's the average. Commerical gyms can offer PT sessions for cheaper (around 20-30 per session).

blairbear wrote: »

Plus she's using the following she gained from blogging to market her business.
    It would be mean spirited if I wished her any badness or said I think she'll fail. I didn't. I simply said I think she's flaky and so I wouldn't recommend her. For what it's worth I do hope she succeeds. People are giving her their hard earned money so they deserve her commitment.
    Certain bias in here towards some people, methinks.

anna080 wrote: »
    Certain bias in here towards some people, methinks.

Just because people don't agree with you doesn't mean they ae biased.

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    Just because people don't agree with you doesn't mean they ae biased.

Duh.
    I mean there's bias when it comes to calling out "mean spirited" comments.

Duh.

Duh? Ok Anna.:pac:

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    Duh? Ok Anna.:pac:

Grand

Duh.

How is it bias? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Gal44

Wonder what pippas new products are, she released a new pippa logo pic this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cria

I had to unfollow Terrie after a while because she wrecked my head but my opinion of her is that she has no brand loyalty and will flog anything. She has a good job so blogging seems to be a cash cow hobby on the side, and she treats it as such. She'll endorse anything and everything if the price is right. A quick look at her Instagram there tells me she hasn't changed much.

I’ve had that opinion of terrie a long time she would flog anything and everything zero loyalty to any brands .. why are these companies sponsoring her is she an actual blogger who reviews or just promotes she’s like rent a promotion she would go to the opening of a gas bill

How is it bias? :confused:

Of all the comments on this forum over the weeks, a lot of which were reported and some removed- I get called out publically for calling someone "flaky". A lot worse has been said here. And you know it. Now I know I'm essentially fighting a losing battle here as you're a mod, but I do think you calling me out as "mean spirited" wasn't particularly fair. You said yourself you follow Rosemary so I'm guessing you're a fan, and your comment came directly after she involved herself in the thread- whereas other bloggers don't get the same defense.
    I'm just saying how I feel it is, and defending myself.

Of all the comments on this forum over the weeks, a lot of which were reported and some removed- I get called out publically for calling someone "flaky". A lot worse has been said here. And you know it. Now I know I'm essentially fighting a losing battle here as you're a mod, but I do think you calling me out as "mean spirited" wasn't particularly fair. You said yourself you follow Rosemary so I'm guessing you're a fan, and your comment came directly after she involved herself in the thread- whereas other bloggers don't get the same defense.
    I'm just saying how I feel it is, and defending myself.

Unless I post mod in bold, I'm posting as a member, not a mod. You've said you're posting your opinion, I'm doing the same. The fact that I'm a mod shouldn't be held against me.

It was my own personal opinion that the comment was mean spirited, I did not try to moderate the discussion in any way. TBH, I'm not Rosemary's biggest fan but I do think she gets a particularly raw deal on this forum.

I will call out anyone who I feel is being particularly harsh on bloggers, as I have done about other bloggers in the past, because it just gets really uncomfortable to read.

Unless I post mod in bold, I'm posting as a member, not a mod. You've said you're posting your opinion, I'm doing the same. The fact that I'm a mod shouldn't be held against me.

It was my own personal opinion that the comment was mean spirited, I did not try to moderate the discussion in any way. TBH, I'm not Rosemary's biggest fan but I do think she gets a particularly raw deal on this forum.

I will call out anyone who I feel is being particularly harsh on bloggers, as I have done about other bloggers in the past, because it just gets really uncomfortable to read.

I do the same. I'll always tell someone when they've gone below the belt with their comments, whether I like the blogger or not- I did a lot last week- as did a lot of other posters here. I don't feel my comment falls into this bracket.
    You might not be posting as a mod right now, but you're also not a frequent casual poster, so when you do post your voice has a lot of power and sway.

I don't know how you think she gets a raw deal on this forum when she's barely mentioned, and bar today hasn't been mentioned for months. I can think of many others who get sh|t worse than her.
    Anyway we'll agree to disagree and move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I know a PT who charges €50 a session and he has loads of clients.
    I personally would go with someone who's had more experience than Rosemary and someone who looked the part. Without trying to be a bitch, Rosemary doesn't exactly look the fittest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I think anyone confident in what they're doing in any walk of life don't need to take shots at others in the industry. There's another blogger would be be very fit and into nutrition who says "you gotta want it" to inspire others to go to the gym and a certain new PT had to have her say on the phrase and tried to completely undermine the other bloggers attempt to motivate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭wyrn

To be fair to Rosemary, everyone has to start somewhere. Fair play to her for taking a chance and going for something new. Can't be easy. Maybe I'm projecting a bit because I might be doing a bit of a career change and this kind of talk would totally knock my confidence. I wish her the very best of luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

Bit harSh saying she dosent look fit! She isn't your typical PT that's in the public eye most of them have six pack etc but I think she is more realistic and more relatable to people? I'm sure there are plenty of people that would prefer to go to her then some other trainers you see in social media! Just thought that comment was a bit unfair!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

idunno78 wrote: »
    Bit harSh saying she dosent look fit! She isn't your typical PT that's in the public eye most of them have six pack etc but I think she is more realistic and more relatable to people? I'm sure there are plenty of people that would prefer to go to her then some other trainers you see in social media! Just thought that comment was a bit unfair!

I think I'd be more inclined to go to someone that wasn't always fit and changed their lifestyle - because like you said - it's more relatable than some PT who's been fit all their life and you don't believe can empathise with you, understands how hard it is to break a lifetime of bad habits.

Her rate seems fair and I hope her customers feel they get good value for money.

I don't follow RMcC, just sharing my opinion as someone who does need to get fit and would get a PT if I could afford one.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭heyjude88

I follow RMC, and she is always changing her opinion on things. "Flakey" isn't the best word perhaps, maybe capricious ?

She started off getting gifted the lessons in that lift place (where she now works out of) and has become great friends with the team.

I'll wait and see does she stick to this to make up my mind about it. If she does, fair play to her though.

edit: but for now, i'm not buying it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Lindy97

I do wish she kind of stuck to her guns on the whole anti blogger thing. I get the girls she's friend with in the industry are probably lovely but, I liked her attitude to those crappy Gossies and everything they stood for and then to have Grace openly mock her (after Rosemary sent her sister flowers on her wedding day) at them was just ****ty, and proved how snide and nasty that industry could be and I wouldn't have been as keen to make friends with her.

I do like her overall though and have agreed with a lot of her blogs (kids on snapchat, the gossies, blogging in general, her piece on sexual assault), and at least while she may change her opinion, at least she gets people talking beyond make up and zara, and she's gotten a fair dogs abuse on a lot of stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭ciaradx

Yeah think that's a bit harsh and Rosemary has seen it, she's tweeted about that comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭heyjude88

Did anyone else notice the timings off MUF's "pixi pout tour" ?

She is literally in one store in blanchardstown for 45 minutes 12.15-13,00, then has to be in another store in Dublin city centre at 1.30-2.20 and then back out to Dundrum by 3.30?

Now I work in the city centre, and there is no way she will make it from blanchardstown to Barow St in 30 mins in prime time lunch traffic.

It really will be a fly by visit in each shop. I know she has young fans who love her stuff, but its during school hours. Maybe she knows it might not be too busy.

Ya I did notice those times!! Had to laugh today when she said it will be a great day! Sure it's only 45-60 mins in each shop!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Lead

I really like Rosemary and think she's very personable. Fair play to her for starting something new in her life, i hope it all goes very well for her. Her prices are the going rate for someone starting off too. I know PT who charge over €100 for a session.

It's extremely mean to comment on someones looks and especially someone who now reads this forum and is a Boards member.

Nope, not unfair. Realistic.
    I went to a Slimming World group a few years back and the leader was about 18 st. I left immediately. Not really practising what she preached; in MY opinion Rosemary wouldn't inspire me to get fit.

Lead wrote: »
    I really like Rosemary and think she's very personable. Fair play to her for starting something new in her life, i hope it all goes very well for her. Her prices are the going rate for someone starting off too. I know PT who charge over €100 for a session.

It's extremely mean to comment on someones looks and especially someone who now reads this forum and is a Boards member.

But people are fair game when they don't read the forum or aren't members?
    I agree it's bad form to comment on anyone's looks negatively but I've read FAR worse about other bloggers, one in particular. They don't get the same defence though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

mod note

RMacCabe can post again in the forum. She held a previous Boards account until very recently, and therefore we have taken a view that this fulfils the charter criteria.

But people are fair game when they don't read the forum or aren't members?
    I agree it's bad form to comment on anyone's looks negatively but I've read FAR worse about other bloggers, one in particular. They don't get the same defence though.

I don't want to single out anyone or any situation, but I really dislike a lot of the negative comments on here about bloggers looks.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

mod

A reminder to all posters:

Personal abuse towards those in the social media/blogging industry will not be tolerated. Although they have put themselves in the public eye, criticisms should be directed towards their skills and the content they present, rather than their personal appearance. Such criticisms should be made in a civil way and personal abuse will not be tolerated.

• Advertisement

Seems to me that this thread was for discussing bloggers and the products they release but now that it's known one of the bloggers reads this, we all have to watch our P's and Q's.

If all the bloggers we watch suddenly decide to read Boards, do we have to change our opinions?

A lot of people on here are licking ar*e because Rosemary happens to be on here.

I didn't make my comment to be bitchy (but I know it came across that way); I made a similar comment about a Slimming World leader I knew who was at least 18stone.

She was of no inspiration to me to lose weight so I left that group.
    Same with Rosemary. I don't feel she gives off the impression of a personal trainer.

PS, Mods, I am not having a dig at your warning at all, I actually was coming on to make this point before I even read your post.

GingerLily wrote: »
    I don't want to single out anyone or any situation, but I really dislike a lot of the negative comments on here about bloggers looks.

I agree. And all bloggers should get the same defence- and the judgement of whether a comment was appropriate or not shouldn't come from the fact the blogger may be reading the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭wyrn

I have always assumed that the bloggers read threads like this, so I certainly don't censure what I say. I knew Rosemary had another account and used to comment on these types of threads but it definitely didn't influence me in what I said. I am so not licking arse. It's kinda insulting.

Also Rosemary is one of the few people to be very open her affiliated links. I had no idea about this practice until she mentioned it. Also Rosemary seems to be more open to answering questions than some of the insta-blocker bloggers.

Whilst I don't always agree with Rosemary and wouldn't necessarily be a huge fan, I do think she's far more professional than most of the other beauty / lifestyle bloggers. Rosemary is willing to engage in conversation rather than ignore it.

Finally I wish any one who has the courage to change careers the very best.

heyjude88 wrote: »
    Did anyone else notice the timings off MUF's "pixi pout tour" ?

She is literally in one store in blanchardstown for 45 minutes  12.15-13,00, then has to be in another store in Dublin city centre at 1.30-2.20 and then back out to Dundrum by 3.30?

Now I work in the city centre, and there is no way she will make it from blanchardstown to Barow St in 30 mins in prime time lunch traffic.

It really will be a fly by visit in each shop. I know she has young fans who love her stuff, but its during school hours. Maybe she knows it might not be too busy.
    Is the tour only 1 day? I thought she was going around the country? That's what I took from the word "tour" anyway.
    The timings don't surprise me, I've read a lot of stories from people online who work in shops and pharmacies who have dealt with bloggers. Not sure if this applies to MUF as she's there to promote her own product but, stories where they are paid hundreds (and more in some cases) for just showing up for an hour to open a store or if they have a promotion on, and actually do feck all.

I agree. And all bloggers should get the same defence- and the judgement of whether a comment was appropriate or not shouldn't come from the fact the blogger may be reading the thread.

If the comment isn't appropriate if person who's it's said about is reading it, then I don't think it's appropriate at all.

All the bloggers can read these threads, you should assume they are reading this

I also wouldnt say something here, or anywhere online I wouldnt want people to see or I wouldn't say to the person's face. Granted I wont go out of my way to snap or tweet a blogger with my opinion (I'd likely only get blocked with no conversation or discussion anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

But a personal trainer is there to train you, to teach and to coach. It should be more about their knowledge and technique rather than how fit they look. I would rather have a PT who looked "normal" rather than someone who hadn't a shred of fat and could balance a pint glass on her ass while squatting.
    Most sports coaches don't look like fitness fanatics - most sports coaches are normal people. I help coach junior athletics by assisting the coaches. All these kids can run faster than me! But I show them how to warm up, cool down, tell them to stop messing etc. I know someone who's a fantastic GAA club level trainer, he's in high demand due to the quality of his coaching and the fact that he's carrying weight makes no difference.

GingerLily wrote: »
    If the comment isn't appropriate if person who's it's sad about is reading it, then I don't think it's appropriate at all.

All the bloggers can read these threads, you should assume they are reading this

But how do we know who is reading and who isn't? Just because some are more vocal than others. I've never gotten personal about anyone on this thread. They all deserve the same defence when someone gets personal.

Fussy Onion- I definitely wasn't licking her arse! Just thought it wasn't The nicest of things to say! I see your point but you could have said it differently is all!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Lead

But how do we know who is reading and who isn't? Just because some are more vocal than others. I've never gotten personal about anyone on this thread. They all deserve the same defence when someone gets personal.

I was more talking about someone who is a Boards member. You're like a dog with a bone. As per the rules no ones appearance should be spoken about. And yes other bloggers appearance have been spoken about and it's not fair to them either. They probably do read what's said here which isnt fair.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement