Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bloggers / Influencers releasing products [Please read note in post #966]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Lindy97 wrote: »

I thought she used stuff from her contour pallette as a foundation? She's claimed that numerous times

I remember watching a video of her doing her make up and yes, she used a shade from the contour palette as a foundation. She looked jaundiced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I absolutely would not buy her foundation. I've no interest in any of her products. I remember her saying before that she thinks yellow toned foundation suits everyone- so I'm guessing they'll all be yellow toned. That would not suit my fair cailin pink skin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

anna080 wrote: »
    I absolutely would not buy her foundation. I've no interest in any of her products. I remember her saying before that she thinks yellow toned foundation suits everyone- so I'm guessing they'll all be yellow toned. That would not suit my fair cailin pink skin.

That's ridiculous. The majority of Irish people have pink undertones. Yellow undertones are for people with sallow/ethnic skin. So many people wear the wrong tone and that's one of the reasons foundation can look awful on people.

I really think it's a crazy product to bring out. People are very loyal to their foundation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

That's ridiculous. The majority of Irish people have pink undertones. Yellow undertones are for people with sallow/ethnic skin. So many people wear the wrong tone and that's one of the reasons foundation can look awful on people.

I really think it's a crazy product to bring out. People are very loyal to their foundation.

Very true. I would never buy blogger products anyway, but I've used Mac Studio Fix for about 9 years and would rarely try anything new. I always go back to it even when I try something else.
    However, I'm a fiend for lipsticks and eyeshadow pallets and would often pick up one just cause I liked the look of it. I'd never do that with foundation - extensive research is done, a sample is gotten and I rarely end up using it long term. I always go back to my studio fix :D

Same, WR. So loyal to Mac studio fix and I've tried every hyped up and holy grail foundation going. It's an extremely personal product. I know so many who cannot stand studio fix. A brave move on her behalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭qxtasybe1nwfh2

I can see her foundation being 20-30euro. If it’s more than that, she is crazy. Even at that price is mad but doesn’t she have lashes out for 20euro so I wouldn’t put it past her.

Side note, I may try the ordinary foundation! I haven’t got a fav foundation at the mo.

I can see her foundation being 20-30euro. If it’s more than that, she is crazy. Even at that price is mad but doesn’t she have lashes out for 20euro so I wouldn’t put it past her.

Side note, I may try the ordinary foundation! I haven’t got a fav foundation at the mo.

You should, it's so inexpensive that if you don't like it, you won't feel like you've wasted too much money.

You can buy it from here. There are a huge amount of colours but someone has done a comparison to Mac foundations, so if you know what colour you are in Mac, just pick the corresponding The Ordinary colour (or go into Mac and get a colour check!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭qxtasybe1nwfh2

You should, it's so inexpensive that if you don't like it, you won't feel like you've wasted too much money.

You can buy it from here. There are a huge amount of colours but someone has done a comparison to Mac foundations, so if you know what colour you are in Mac, just pick the corresponding The Ordinary colour (or go into Mac and get a colour check!)

Brilliant thank you. I bought some of their skincare before directly from their website and it arrived within 3 days. The foundation wasn’t in stock at that time. I definitely want to try both.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Lindy97

anna080 wrote: »
    Same, WR. So loyal to Mac studio fix and I've tried every hyped up and holy grail foundation going. It's an extremely personal product. I know so many who cannot stand studio fix. A brave move on her behalf.

Some say brave, others say stupid. Like her clothing line she's misjudging this one I think. There'll be an initial hype and her loyal fans buying it to try it but it'll taper off very quickly I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Lindy97

Is there nowhere you can try The Ordinary in a store? I'd be hesitant to buy a foundation I can't test first but I would like to try it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭laylag

Also if you Google the Mac equivalent to it there is a full comparison of shades against each Mac shade. I am nc25 in Mac and it recommended shade 2.0yg or 2.0n and they both look like a good match!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I started using The Ordinary Foundation as my day makeup and love it. It's so cheap. I still prefer to use DW for going out at night because I like more coverage.

I like the foundation on Suzanne but it wouldn't be something I'd wear myself. It's a bit too full on for me. I also find it a bit weird that she was able to create a foundation from scratch in less than 2 months.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Thread closed for review.

I'm afraid this thread is closing right now for review. It may or may not re-open in the future depending on what I find.

The tone of some of the posts I see right now is disappointing but not surprising after the way some previous threads have gone elsewhere. I hope the majority of the thread does not follow suit but time will tell.

Please don't start a new thread on this same topic. To those of you who have been genuinely using the thread to discuss bloggers products, sorry that this has to be done.

Thanks all.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Ok folks, apologies it has taken me this long to get through everything, here's an update:

Discussing personal appearance is not permitted as per the charter.

Referring to someone as "a liar", a "fraud", "robbing your granny" or anything similar could be construed as defamatory and could get us, and you, in a lot of trouble legally. Just don't do it.

In my last post I referred to a disappointing tone in some posts and I will clarify that now - any posts that enter into the above (abuse of someones character or appearance, potential defamation) is disappointing to me for the simple reason that you know it's not permitted. Posts like those are one of the reasons that these discussions have been moved from one forum to another until eventually we opened this forum specifically for these discussions. Many of you contributed to forming and agreeing to the charter to ensure this didn't continue. Let's not ruin the forum by crossing the above lines, there are some genuine discussions going on which is great to see and we'd like to keep that going without having to review things in the way I've had to do with this thread.

I have removed a lot of posts, mostly from a couple of weeks ago but a few more recent ones too. Many of the posts fell into the categories above (abuse, possible defamation) and a small number referred to, or were written on the basis of, some published articles - I was informed that these articles have recently been removed from their online publications due to inaccuracies so any posts referring to their content have now also been removed.

Finally, please be mindful of how you post and always assume that a lot more people than those replying to the thread are reading it.

I'm re-opening the thread now but if you could thank this post to let me know you have read it, I'd appreciate it. If you have any questions about anything I've said here, please ask by PM so as not to take the thread off-topic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I was buying a jacket last week and admired the nails of the girl who was serving me, thinking they were nail art.

They were the sosue nails, I thought they looked quite well on and the girl who had them was very pleased with them said she had them on for two weeks

Stheno wrote: »
    I was buying a jacket last week and admired the nails of the girl who was serving me, thinking they were nail art.

They were the muf nails, I thought they looked quite well on and the girl who had them was very pleased with them

Do you mean So Sue Me's?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Do you mean So Sue Me's?

Yeah I edited above, I always mix the two of them up

When is Pippa releasing her new product?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I am still baffled that Rosie Connolly hasn't spoken more about her brushes, are you?

Like, she has shown them, I know and gone through what each is for, but she isn't plugging them or talking about them much.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

I wonder if any of them will release Christmas themed products?

I heard rumours of Joanne and Paul bringing out a fitness calendar, not sure if there's any truth in it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    I heard rumours of Joanne and Paul bringing out a fitness calendar, not sure if there's any truth in it though.

Hahahahahaha.
    Hahahahaha.
    Ha.

I can't see that being a good idea, didn't they have to cancel that event they were going to do together due to a lack of interest?

I'm still dying to know what sinead is releasing. She's defo been reading this because she said on snap that she's been "reading stuff" and then she said something like "lads, I'm a beauty blogger, it's not a baby product!" Yay :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I can't really see that TBH - it would have a very limited shelf life and would be costly to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭lemmno

I keep thinking this whole blogger thing is going to die off soon! It's absolutely amazing how well they've all been doing for themselves, but I keep thinking it's a phase and it's surely got to plateau soon but no sign of it! I know a lot of them have other jobs but for those who don't, what on earth will they do if the whole blogger culture dies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

Hahahahahaha.
    Hahahahaha.
    Ha.

I can't see that being a good idea, didn't they have to cancel that event they were going to do together due to a lack of interest?

I'm still dying to know what sinead is releasing. She's defo been reading this because she said on snap that she's been "reading stuff" and then she said something like "lads, I'm a beauty blogger, it's not a baby product!" Yay :pac:

Did that event really get cancelled due to lack of interest? I didn’t know what had happened but it was never mentioned again so I wondered what had happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭wendydoll

lemmno wrote: »
    I keep thinking this whole blogger thing is going to die off soon! It's absolutely amazing how well they've all been doing for themselves, but I keep thinking it's a phase and it's surely got to plateau soon but no sign of it! I know a lot of them have other jobs but for those who don't, what on earth will they do if the whole blogger culture dies?

I think mediocre bloggers will just disappear and the ones that will remain will be very successful. I think a lot of people are getting fed up of all the ads, "favourite" products and the complete falseness of their lifestyle.

I've unfollowed so many over the last little while. You'd get sick of listening to them flogging anything for a quick buck mentioned today and never again and never having a negative opinion about products. When I see so many of them getting gifted things like love lift and chupi jewellery, it just puts me off buying those goods

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

https://instagram.com/p/BaMss4zjDmn/

Horrified to see this. But at least the page has raised so much awareness.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SpillingTheTea

Wellyd wrote: »

Cease and Desists must be in fashion

• Advertisement

How would they get the posters real name to issue a cease and desist?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SpillingTheTea

How would they get the posters real name to issue a cease and desist?

Sure SoSue sent a cease and desist to a chicken fillet roll parody page today.

Free speech isn't so free these days. Only ok when your showering someone with praise and support, not when your calling them out on potentially shady behaviour.
    Regardless I will never support that blogger or that particular brand after what has come to light.
    She owes her customer base an apology rather than sending cease and desist letters out left right and centre.

Heaven forbid COD would be accountable for her "brand".

She's only sickened she got outed for <snip>. Hope Taylor and Rose cease trading soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

Hope your ok 'person who posted' if your reading this! Silly of them to send that I'm sure they don't have a leg to stand on! More fool them! Fair play to you for posting what happened now and previous! Open some people's eyes at least!!

wendydoll wrote: »
    What an absolute pathetic person Ciara O'Doherty is. Heaven forbid she would be accountable for her "brand".

She's only sickened she got outed <snip>. Hope Taylor and Rose cease trading soon.

It's actually shameful. I would be mortified if I was in her position, her brand will never be taken seriously again. I can't believe she has the neck to be sending out letters like that after what she did.

She's not sorry she did it, she's sorry she was caught. She'd still be flogging <snip> for full whack if she hadn't been exposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭gossipgirl10

Wow what a joke 🙄

I can't wait to see what her next move is now that she's done a little clean up on the internet to get rid of all the evidence. I assume she asked boards to remove all the stuff that was removed earlier from this thread.

Can't believe the whole thing will end up blowing over really thought at least someone from the media would have the b**ls to run with it.

Wow what a joke 🙄

I can't wait to see what her next move is now that she's done a little clean up on the internet to get rid of all the evidence. I assume she asked boards to remove all the stuff that was removed earlier from this thread.

Can't believe the whole thing will end up blowing over really thought at least someone from the media would have the b**ls to run with it.

Was the conversation on Boards about it removed too?!?!??!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Maybe this is a question for the legal discussion forum - but what right does she have to send a cease and dissist?

How do they work? They seem to be used to intimate people but do they have a good leg to stand on "lawfully"?

• Advertisement

GingerLily wrote: »
    Maybe this is a question for the legal discussion forum - but what right does she have to send a cease and dissist?

How do they work? They seem to be used to intimate people but do they have a good leg to stand on "lawfully"?

I was thinling the same

I was thinning the same

It seems like in this day and age you can just bury people in legal paperwork to bully people to do what you want, whether you have a legitimate case or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

Had some experience of a cease and desist letter before. I was the one who wanted to send one. I was advised that they have no real power as such. As in, the person receiving the letter is not legally obligated to cease or desist anything. Now, they may choose to but they don't have to if they don't belive they are doing anything wrong.
    On the other hand, if they are doing something wrong and don't stop you can up the ante and look into taking a civil case against them. But in and of itself a cease and desist letter is just a letter asking someone to stop doing something, has no power really .
    That's my understanding of it anyway.
    By the way, fair dues to the poster who set up that page. I can't see anything wrong with stating the facts....this product costs x amount from aliexpress and the same product costs y amount from Taylor and rose. What's wrong with that?

Wow. That is so embarrassing. Care would she take some responsibility for the complete misrepresentation of her brand to the public, but no, it's far easier to send legal letters to those who outed your manipulation. It's so twisted. You can get legal advice for anything these days- it doesn't mean her accusations hold any weight. She wouldn't have gotten very far had she persisted.

I've looked back on the thread and quite a few posts I remember making are gone and a lot of other posts are heavily edited.

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    I've looked back on the thread and quite a few posts I remember making are gone and a lot of other posts are heavily edited.

She's obviously sending a few letters out?

• Advertisement

COD can't have it every way she wants it. She claimed from taylor and rose website "Our prices are based on detailed market research and adhere to the average retail margins" if that was the case she wouldn't have to threaten legal action because she wouldn't be doing anything page and the scammer page would be just be a "jealous hater".

Can't believe how pathetic these "bloggers" are. They are grand if you are blowing hot air up their arse, but you can't speak a negative word about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Ray37

Im baffled by this letter, that page only showed where the stuff was purchased from in order to prove a huge mark up. Nothing was defamatory or untrue. CD should be ashamed of herself, and I'm a little dubious about the C&D letter being legit, is a page allowed to be served with such even if they are sharing the truth?

The Niamh Cullen take over on SoSue instagram using the hot fire palette and other sue products. The eye make up is awful looking. That hot fire palette is useless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Guys, please stay on track and do not discuss any legal action or speculate on same. Niamh has already had to put a warning on thread and I'd hate to have to lock the thread again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Wow, talk about censorship. It's basically giving the public 2 fingers. This IS a story yet no media ran with it, nobody is allowed speak of it and perfectly legal and rational posts on generic white label products being sold as bespoke pieces for 50 times the price of purchase, with proof the purchase was made by the "influencer" in question and you're not allowed discuss it? Seriously?
    Is it the general publics fault someone has built their business on solely selling items from Ali express? How does this make her business any different to those buy and sell pages on facebook?

<snip> There was no acknowledgement, no apology, there was media at launch parties, these ones are all over image magazine of rsvp if they turn up for the opening of an envelope but they can <snip> and be featured in the top 30 Irish business people? Really?! That's an absolute insult to anyone who goes to work and has established and worked hard to build a reputable business.

Isn't it ironic that these girl bosses are only known from their online presence and reviewing other businesses products (that's how they all started out) and the moment you dare show a person where to buy said cheap rubbish at a price that reflects the quality, you're threatened?
    The world is not an echo chamber

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement