Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bloggers / Influencers releasing products [Please read note in post #966]

1151617181921»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I'd genuinely like to know what we CAN actually talk about. I feel I'm walking on eggshells here...

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭wendydoll

fussyonion wrote: »
    I'd genuinely like to know what we CAN actually talk about. I feel I'm walking on eggshells here...

Same fussyonion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Me too. I would have thought this is relevant to both the thread and the topic at hand.
    I'm not questioning or dissing mods but every time I post I'm afraid I'll be infracted even though I go out of my way to word things as clearly as possible so as not to break rules since the most recent warnings.
    I feel like a lot of interesting discussion has been shut down lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

This by a million.
    Any topic I've been interested in lately has been rapidly shut down.
    I'm increasingly losing interest in engaging in a forum we all fought so hard to get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

It'll be shut down before long no doubt. The shutting down and "cleaning up" of this thread was just the start of it I'd say!

Not having a go at the mods but I received a warning for personal abuse when there's been a lot worse said by other about bloggers over the weeks. If it continues like that going forward, we'll all get censored if we aren't singing the praises of bloggers and there will be no point posting on the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

Love and Light lads... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭wyrn

I follow a number of different types of bloggers. It's like night and day comparing the beauty / lifestyle bloggers vs the tech bloggers. Some of the bloggers I follow are young teenage tech people who develop apps or start small business, they are far more professional. When they launch their product they will talk in detail about all of the specs and actually ask for feedback so they can improve their product. Most of them will answer questions as long as it's not IP but they'll answer in general terms.

Makes me wonder if all the "jealous haters" are only in the beauty / lifestyle area. I don't really see it in the tech side and I'm sure it's the same with food bloggers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭RoisinClare6

If this gets me in trouble so be it.

This is a thread about products and releases. COD released a product we're discussing it.

Yet we can't discuss it be cause we don't agree with it. So we are only allowed 'discuss' things if we give them glowing reports? Did I miss something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Don't tell anyone the products are bought in bulk from a Chinese website, shush!! It's ok that it's being sold as luxury products at an astronomical markup. Don't talk about that, just focus on her being one of the 30 Under 30 who by her own admission states she feels like an imposter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

All these girl bosses making their money flogging rubbish and giving glowing reviews to any company who'll pay the asking price, basically making their sole living off of giving reviews yet can't take a single ounce of criticism themselves.
    The hypocrisy in the whole situation is unbelievable and it's actually infuriating that they go to such effort to silence people who hurt their feelings rather than address the fact that they're after doing something they shouldn't have to their followers.
    And by doing something they shouldn't have, I mean not disclosing ads, selling gifted items at a profit, selling second hand clothes to their followers for twice the price, creating a bespoke 'brand' which is in actual fact cheapest of the cheap Ali Express products... I could go on.

It's bizarre. In any other profession you have to own up to mistakes and take it on the chin.
    Wish I could send my boss a solicitors letter every time he criticises my work. He's obviously just a jealous hater. Obviously.

And if we are all jealous haters on here, why even give us the time of day, "Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep" after all.

If I were a successful blogger girl boss I wouldn't be worried about people talking on a thread about me and I'd be far to busy to read all the 1017 posts to see if I or my products were mentioned and in what context.

What's interesting as well is that Ciara hasn't updated her "Taylor & Rose" Instagram page since this scandal occurred.
    I stand by everything I've said about her business ethics. <snip>

She probably thinks everyone will forget and in a few week post new stock and the instagram will be brought back to life, Anna.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Stheno wrote: »
    How would they get the posters real name to issue a cease and desist?
    It was sent via DM apparently.

Can't imagine it would have had any legal standing whatsoever especially via Instagram messages. Though law is not my background so I could be wrong.

What delicate snowflakes there are in the Irish blogging, sorry, influencing industry....

They can't take flack in any way, shape or form so hide behind solicitors, legal teams to frighten people in the hopes it work. They are unbelievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

It was sent via DM apparently.

Can't imagine it would have had any legal standing whatsoever especially via Instagram messages. Though law is not my background so I could be wrong.

What delicate snowflakes there are in the Irish blogging, sorry, influencing industry....

They can't take flack in any way, shape or form so hide behind solicitors, legal teams to frighten people in the hopes it work. They are unbelievable.

If it was sent via dm who were they going to take the action against?!!
    It'd be interesting to hear from an actual solicitor to know if you can send a cease and desist "letter" to an unknown individual in an unknown place via social media.
    I doubt it has any legal implication.

Sure nowadays its always someone else's fault. And threaten to sue if things are going our way

It's our fault we don't like their products, it's our fault we aren't falling over these releases, it's our fault we found them cheaper online, it's our fault we made it public, it's our fault we don't think the products are good value for money, it's our fault all these bloggers got caught out.

So detached with the real working world where people are actually held accountable for their work/feck ups and are unable to hide behind the threat of legal action or deleting posts pretending it never happened, ignoring the situation or sticking up a disclaimer when you were outed.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Shocking carry on, that account was such an eye opener as I was going to buy stuff from one of the companies mentioned <snip>. Thankfully seen the posts here, would be such a shame that issues like that can't be raised here on boards when they are truthful. Makes no sense to me whatsoever. Thanks again to the person who raised this, saved me and others I'm sure a few bob and boosted Aliexpress sales!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭lemmno

I think the damage has been done now anyway. People are wise to them. I've unfollowed most of them. How can I relate to someone covered in Gucci/Louis Vuitton?!
    It also sickens me the effect they've had on teenagers. The amount girls in the school I work in making Christmas lists with the words Valentino and Balenciaga on them is crazy! They've created a culture for 'things'. All they do is show themselves buying stuff stuff and more stuff. And the sad thing is, they're probably not buying the half of it! And maybe this isn't on topic but I feel saddened that we have to censor ourselves. I'll never mention names here if the bloggers who are guilty to make the boardsies job easier, but I do feel like there's a responsibility here to educate. I always knew the products sold by certain bloggers may not be the best quality, but to find out they were just reselling from aliexpress was new to me and I'm so glad I was on boards to see that.
    I feel there's an honesty to Lisa Jordan, she raises awareness about great causes on her Snapchat and seems to be very transparent about what she gets, which I like. So I'd be happy to buy anything she launches, within reason obviously, as I feel supporting her isn't the worst thing in the world. Others I feel are 100% about themselves and their 'profile' and id need someone to pay me to support them! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I think the person who ran the instagram exposé should reopen it and keep going. I can understand if they don't want to but I don't see how a solicitor can attempt to shut them down for telling the truth. And what action can they even take against an anonymous page? Perhaps asking in the legal discussions forum would be a good idea to ease that person's mind...

But I think a stand has to be made. It's infuriating that legal action has been threatened for telling the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭A_smurf

I don’t blame the person who ran the page for deleting the posts, no one wants to receive any threat of legal action, even if it may not hold up. It feels to me that the company waited until the outrage about the products had died down online before enacting any form of legal action against that account. It still doesn’t mean that it was fair for the person who ran the account to delete all the posts, even though they were telling the truth and showing the true products and their mark-up.

Disclaimer: Mods feel free to delete if this is in any way stepping over the line,

Exhibit A

She's only after putting herself back into negative light again. The whole thing was after dying down and now she's after bring it to the surface again.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SpillingTheTea

anna080 wrote: »
    <snip>

I know the person who PM'd this won't mind me sharing.

Basically what appears to me is that they are threatening anyone who mentions it so they can wipe the slate clean so they look unblemished.

If Evoke (and boards) get rid of the 'defamatory' posts saying she's the designer, it means the insta technically (by default now) is defamatory

Fair play to the person who put up the Instagram page, it was certainly eye opening. For me, I don't care if people want to charge an arm and a leg for an item they bought cheaply - all I want is a bit of transparency.<snip>

In regards to the Instagram page deleting the previous posts, I'm not surprised. If I got a DM like that, I'd have probably folded. I know there was no real case for it but these things legally can drag out and is it really worth the hassle and money?

Finally, in one of the Instagram posts the owner mentioned not updating post due to ill health. I feel this might also be another contributory factor to shutting down. I wish the Irishbloggerscammer a speedy recovery. Thank you for opening my eyes.

I wonder if that page actually made a negative impact on sales for those bloggers and their products.

• Advertisement

Actually on another note, I wouldn't mind if a blogger sold on pieces from places like AliExpress with a bit of a mark up. Not too massive mind. If they framed it as having sourced the current trends and fairly good quality - then I'd probably be more likely to purchase off a blogger than the source because of time (postage from Ireland rather than China), quality (it's not completely tacky) and that it looks like the stock photo.

Rosie c sells her Ali express sunglasses for 18 Euro. I know I can get them on ski express for less but I wouldn't mind paying 18 as they're not expensive for sunglasses and I wouldn't have to wait on delivery. 95 for a hair piece that's 2 dollars? Oh please.

https://evoke.ie/style/fashion-fix/taylor-rose-hair-accessories

I tried googling Evoke & Taylor and Rose and this is the only one that pops up and as you can now see that the couple of paragraphs down it now say's 'Hand Picked'

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

Sure the seagull lover got solicitor’s involved on a chicken fillet roll facebook page, after proclaiming the post was “gas”.

The fake claws are out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Looks like it's back to the days of no names :(

• Advertisement

Looks like it's back to the days of no names :(

Bloggers/influencers releasing products. Please do not name any names of bloggers. Please do not name their products. Please do not name the manufacturing process. Please do not name if they are white label. Please do not name Ali express. Please do not link to cheaper items. Please do not name people who are clearly ripping off their customers.

It's 1940s ireland again. Censor the people!

Support Irish businesses!! Spend 100 Euro on a hair clip. Ignore the Chinese elephant in the room

'Please buy my crown for 120euro, that I purchased for 10euro, but don't ever question me' *eyeroll*

Sure the seagull lover got solicitor’s involved on a chicken fillet roll facebook page, after proclaiming the post was “gas”.

The fake claws are out.

Stick-on claws you mean!! :P

I love that's she's threatening legal action over another page using her pic considering 70% of the pics she posts are taken from other pages. All those memes and 'outfit inspo' pics weren't created by you, were they dear? :D

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you post something on Facebook, and another entity resposted said picture- you cannot sue them for copyright since you have lost your "copyright" by uploading it to the public sphere in the first place. If you are that precious about it then maybe don't upload it in the first place? I only know a bit about this because a friend of mine who lives in Australia contacted me and told me a picture of me was being used to advertise an Internet cafe. But when I looked into it there was nothing I could do (I wasn't that bothered really) because I'd uploaded the picture to Facebook, where they sourced it, and I had essentially "surrendered" my rights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Alright guys, I've had to close the thread again, which I really didn't want to do.

There are legal ramifications for Boards.ie when posters get into this kind of back and forth on legal matters.

I will review with the other mods in the meantime.

Please don't open up more threads on the matter.

Thanks.

B&C

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement