Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting in Dublin vs Communting

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

cournioni wrote: »
    From what I've seen, from friends and family that have lived in Dublin, they have spent a lot of time away from their accommodation after work as the more affordable accommodation isn't of a standard where you want to spend much time around it. Most end up having to meet friends in pubs, eating out etc and end up spending a lot of money on top of their already high rents.

Any of my friends that spend a lot of time away from their homes (as I did before parenthood came along!) do it because they want to. They like living near their friends, near cinemas, restaurants, pubs, theatres, art galleries, beaches and parks. It's certainly nothing to do with the quality of the accommodation! Did you friends tell you that was the reason?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

markpb wrote: »
    Any of my friends that spend a lot of time away from their homes (as I did before parenthood came along!) do it because they want to. They like living near their friends, near cinemas, pubs, theatres, art galleries, beaches and parks. It's certainly nothing to do with the quality of the accommodation! Did you friends tell you that was the reason?
    Disagree. My brother is a prime example, he did it while living in an house/apartment in Rathmines. Shared accommodation for €600 per month (shared) and he did it to get away from it because it was a dump. Ended up spending as much as he was making. He ended up moving out of Dublin very shortly after to a place with all of those amenities for just €350 per month (shared).

He's one of many.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Disagree. My brother is a prime example, he did it while living in an house/apartment in Rathmines. Shared accommodation for €600 per month (shared) and he did it to get away from it because it was a dump. Ended up spending as much as he was making. He ended up moving out of Dublin very shortly after to a place with all of those amenities for just €350 per month (shared).

He's one of many.

I haven't spent more than €600 a month for shared accommodation in Dublin and all the places I've lived have been nice. I seen some dumps when I was looking alright but I wouldn't touch them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

He's one of many.
    Rathmines is notorious when it comes to accommodation standards. There are other places in Dublin to live.

Rathmines is notorious when it comes to accommodation standards. There are other places in Dublin to live.
    There are, but nothing available at the time... until rents went up.

Let's face it, if you want something reasonably central, you're going to either pay through the nose for it with rent, or its going to be of a poor standard.

Another friend of mine is renting a one bedroom apartment in Ballsbridge (around the Gasworks) for €1650 per month which is no better than college apartment. It's close to where he and his girlfriend work, but absolutely not worth it, nor would living elsewhere in Dublin - where you still have to commute, but just within the city boundary.

Another of my friends paid €1300 per month in Saggart for what was an average apartment. You might as well live in Naas for half of that.

• Advertisement

Another of my friends paid €1300 per month in Saggart for what was an average apartment. You might as well live in Naas for half of that.

And yet people are paying those rents rather than moving to Naas or Longford. Maybe they think it's worth it to love in Dublin and/or not commute so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭techdiver

Do some of the posters here think that living in Dublin you have no commute to work? I lived in Dublin during my 20's and early 30's and I loved it. But times and situations change. I am now married with children and decent family homes in decent areas of Dublin for reasonable prices are no longer existent.

Even good areas with family homes involves a hefty premium along with up to an hour commute due to traffic. This includes busses as they many are stuck on roads that cannot accommodate bus lanes.

Example: I live in the Midlands and I leave the house at 7.15am and get the train and am in work 8.50am. A colleague lives in a Dublin suburb and often takes the same amount of time to get in. His bus just gets caught in traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

And yet people are paying those rents rather than moving to Naas or Longford. Maybe they think it's worth it to love in Dublin and/or not commute so far.

You wouldn't be paying a whole heap less in naas. Longford I don't know

Maybe they do, I don't really see the point of living in Saggart though. You might as well be living in the countryside.

Maybe they do, I don't really see the point of living in Saggart though. You might as well be living in the countryside.

With the exception of Dublin Bus and the Luas, I'd agree entirely! :)

• Advertisement

With the exception of Dublin Bus and the Luas, I'd agree entirely! :)
    Wouldn't like to be commuting to the city centre from Saggart via Dublin Bus or the LUAS daily.

There are Bus Eireann / private stops in the country side that could get you there quicker.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

People are talking about renting in ballsbridge and rathmines etc. Crazy rental prices there. I live in D5 and it's a 26 minute or so cycle to work, near Grafton St.
    If you look on Daft, places on D5 and D9 go for reasonable prices, for what seem to be nice places. So there's more to Dublin that the south inner city.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Thanks to everyone for the replies, lots to think about!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Not a lot of love for Saggart here...

What about Monasterevin? Great value there, and you'd be at red cow in 30 mins drive, or a fiver on the bus. About 45 mins to Heuston from Monasterevin train station aswell

At about 200k for a 3 bed semi detached, that's smashing value and very commutable. Monasterevin used to be the butt of many jokes but it is not a bad spot at all.

myshirt wrote: »
    What about Monasterevin? Great value there, and you'd be at red cow in 30 mins drive

In your helicopter? Google Maps says that journey would take 30 minutes right now (8pm on a bank holiday Sunday). I find it hard to believe it would be no worse on a weekday morning.

In fact, I work with people commuting from both Monasterevin and Newbridge and it takes both of them considerably longer than 30 minutes.

And that's before you factor in any crash on the M50 (unless you actually work at Red Cow) or on the N7/M7 in which case you could easily be looking at 90+ minute commute.

Let's not forget the M7 upgrade works which are due to start any decade now. I suspect that'll have an impact on the commute time for a year or two.

Advertisement